VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR ART PROJECT
Devereux Community Based Care of Okeechobee and the Treasure Coast is looking for a few art-minded volunteers to help us spruce up our two Okeechobee County Visitation Rooms. These are rooms where children in foster care visit and play with their families, and we’d really like to make it a nice place for everyone to meet.
We will supply the paint and supplies needed for the project. Our office is located at 208 NE Seventh Ave., Okeechobee (behind Cowboy’s Restaurant). Our hours of operation are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday.
If you are a member of a volunteer, social or church group and can help us during office hours, please contact Angela Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Okeechobee’s Upcoming Events 7-24-14
- A meeting of the “Stroke Support Group” will be held at the Heritage Assisted Living Facility on the 2nd Wednesday of every month at 6:00pm. This is a good chance to talk to others about their experience. Light refreshments will be available, for more information phone the Heritage at 863-763-1700 or 863-634-8412.
- The Brahma Bull Restaurant and Lounge is hosting a Christmas in July throughout the entire month of July. They’ll be accepting clothes unwrapped educational toy, books or money donation for children 13 years of age and under. They’re also looking for canned goods or non-perishable items for Big Lake Missions Outreach. All proceeds will remain in Okeechobee. Brahma Bull is located at 2405 HWY 441 SE.
- Living Word of Faith is holding their food bank this Thursday July 26th from 6:30am to Noon at the Living Word of Faith.
- Friends of the Okeechobee County Library presents “Gordie Peer and the history of cattle ranching in the United States”. Mr. Peer will be presenting on Thursday, July 24th beginning at 5:00pm. The event is FREE at the Okeechobee County Library.
- The Buckhead Ridge Moose Lodge #2417 is hosting a dinner on Thursday, July 26th. The menu will consist of meatloaf, scalloped potatoes, glazed carrots, bread, and dessert for a donation of $6 dollars; call 863-763-2250 for more info.
- Okeechobee YMCA Children’s Art Auction. Thursday July 24 6 PM at the Sacred Heart Church (pavilion behind the main church) 901 SW 6th St. Come out and hear the children share stories and their art. Money raised will be to continue Y Summer Camps. For more information call Shawn Keil 772-215-9780 /863-484-0202 or e mail email@example.com
- Christian Singles will host a potluck this Friday, July 25th beginning at 6pm. The potluck will take place at The Gathering Fellowship Hall. All of Okeechobee is invited. For more information call 863-763-7195 and ask for Mollie or 863-763-9626
- Am Vets Riders Chapter 2001 is hosting their annual crawfish boil and fish fry this Saturday, July 26th beginning at 1pm at the Okeechobee Moose 1753 located at 159 NW 36th St, off 441. All proceeds from the event will benefit their veterans charities and a 16 year old named Baily who is undergoing cancer and treatment. They’re asking a $10 dollar donation per person at the event. For more information call 863-261-6381, 863-532-0734, 239-214-5219.
- Lake Placid Caladium Festival will be this Saturday, July 26th. They’ll have caladium floral competitions, bus tours, arts and crafts, foods, air boat and swamp buggy show, murals, among other activities. They’ll be leaving from The Gathering at 8am and driving their own vehicles caravan style to the festival. If you would like to share your ride with another person, let them know at 863-763-9629 or 863-801-0184
- The Women of The Moose Chapter 2036, Buckhead Ridge, will host a “Cute Apron Bake Sale” Sunday July 27, 8-12AM. Please stop by and vote on your favorite apron. There will be delicious cakes, pies, cookies and other goodies. All proceeds directly benefit the children on Mooseheart and elders of Moosehaven Call 863-763-2250 for more information.
- Youth Talent Show Saturday, August 2nd 6 pm Free will offering to the Youth Okeechobee Church of God Pastor: Mark Smith Phone (863) 763-4127
- Join us at Raulerson Hospital to learn about diabetic cooking ideas with our Executive Chef Ron Corrado. Wednesday, August 6th at 5:30 p.m. –Raulerson Hospital Cafeteria Learn new recipes and even sample some of the creations. There is no fee to participate. Space is limited. RSVP: 763-9228.
- AUGUST 12 @ THE PAINT BUCKET FOR OUR “POWER NETWORKING BREAKFAST” FROM 7-9 AM.
Sport Related Events
- Papa Johns is presenting their weekly fundraiser every Thursday when you order from Papa John’s they’ll donate 10% of your total order to the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band. Valid for carry out or delivery, you can also order online by using the PROMO CODE OCSD2014. Be sure to mention that you are a supporter of the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band when you are placing an order.
- Paddock Farms is “driving on” ! Learn how to drive your horse, racing, obstacles and more! Beginning this Saturday, July 26th and Sunday, July 27th Paddock Farms will be available every weekend after to teach you about how to drive your horse. Must be 18 years of age or older, all horses brought to the Paddock Farms must have a negative coggins test and you will be asked to sign a waiver. Not sure if your horse could race? You will have the option to have your horse evaluated. Don’t have a horse? No problem, they’ll provide them for you. No experience is necessary. No horse? No harness? No problem! Call Nancy at 863-634-1440 or 863-634-1438 for more information.
- The Chamber of Commerce will hold it’s monthly Chamber Business After Hours on Tuesday, July 29ths from 5-7pm at the Buxton Bass Funeral Home. This is an excellent opportunity to get to know your local business people and build lasting relationships in a professional environment. RSVP now at www.okeechobeebusiness.com.
- We are now accepting donations for the “Stuff the Bus for School Supplies” project. Tickets for the Flapjack Breakfast @ Applebee’s on August 9 to benefit the “Stuff the Bus” are now being sold at the Chamber of Commerce, Edward Jones Investment and WOKC.
Agri-Civic Center Events
- Weekdays, 4-H Horse Camp - Monday 7/14/14 through Friday 8/1/14 Okeechobee 4-H Horse Day Camp is a series of week long day camps that will be conducted three weeks during July. Each week is different, but activities all three weeks focus on youth and horses with the goal to provide meaningful educational experiences for youth. The day camps provided for a continuance of learning opportunities during the summer months as well as motivation to be physically active in a safe supervised venue
- Friday 7/25/14 – Turnin’ N Burnin’ Summer Buckle Series Jackpot Barrel Race. Exhibition runs start at 5:00 PM. Barrel race starts at 7:00 PM. A concession stand will be open. There is no charge for the public to attend
If you’re a non-profit organization and have an upcoming event please send all of your information to 210 WN Park St. Suite 102, email it in at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax us at 1-888-875-1570. Thank you!