Okeechobee’s Upcoming Events 12-3-13
- The Better Breathers Class is a support group for people with COPD or other respiratory related issues. Better Breathers meet the first Wednesday of each month at 5:00 p.m. in Raulerson Hospital’s In-Service Classroom.
- Spanish will soon be the most common spoken language in the United States. Practice your skills, and see the world as OHS takes a group of high school students to Spain during Spring Break 2014. If you’re nervous about speaking Spanish, no worries. We’ll be traveling with a group and private tour guide as we explore Barcelona and Madrid. We’ll see famous sites like the Sagrada Familia, walk Las Ramblas, visit park Guell and Plaza Mayor,and visit the Prado museum,just to name a few. We’ll also see an authentic Flamenco show and participate in a Flamenco lesson. For many of us it’s a once in a life time opportunity! Don’t let it pass you by!! The trip will last a total of 8 days, which includes 2 days of travel to and from Spain. Call the high school with any questions 863-462-5025.
- School out for a holiday break or teacher plan day? Here is an opportunity for supervised childcare, ages K – age 13, full pay, reduced pay, and some financial assistance. For questions, please call the camp hotline at 863-484-0202. YMCA camp is located at Sacred Heart Catholic Church’s pavilion in Okeechobee.
- Come out to Ride for the Fight’s “Bulls & Ranch Bronc Riding” on Wednesday, January 1st beginning at 2pm. Adults are just $5 dollars and children 12 and under get in FREE! This event will be at the Okeechobee Cattlemen’s Arena, across from Raulerson Hospital on 441N. FFA and Jr. Cattlemen will be serving BBQ dinners. 100% OF THE PROCEEDS STAY HERE IN OKEECHOBEE! Sponsorship opportunities are available! If you’re interested in entering the event, please call 863-634-2066 from now until December 18th, but hurry because spots are filling up fast! For more event information on how to help, sponsor, or general info, call 863-634-3971! or go to rideforthefight.com
- Trash Trawl will be this Wednesday, December 4th at 11am starting at BHR Firehouse boat ramp. Maps and trash bags will be given there.
- Hospice of Okeechobee’s Festival of Trees is going on now through Sunday, December 8th. 100% of the proceeds go towards patent care, they’ll have a silent auction and for sale items such has trees, wreaths, flower arrangements, toys, angels, etc. The hours of the Festival of Trees is December 3rd-5th 4:00-7:00pm; December 6th 5:00-8:00pm; December 7th 3:00-7:00pm; December 8th 12:00-4:00pm. For more information call 863-467-2321.
- The Buckhead Ridge Moose #2417 is hosting a dinner Thursday night from 5 until they run out. The dinner menu is meatloaf, scalloped potatoes, vegetables, dessert for a $6 dollar donation. Members and qualified guests are welcome to attend, call 863-763-2250.
- Okeechobee Christian Academy’s Spaghetti Dinner will start Friday, December 6th with drive thru available between 11:00am and 1:00pm, delivery of 5 or more orders will be available. On Saturday, December 7th they’ll have dine in from 3:00pm-7:00pm with tea included, they’ll also have a bake sale going on at this time. The menu consists of spaghetti, green beans & roll for a $7 dollar donation. Okeechobee Christian Academy is located at 701 Parrott Avenue, call 863-763-3072.
- The Christmas Festival will start Friday December 6th from 6:00-9:00pm with snow, Santa and a movie. Saturday, December 7th from 10am until after the parade ends they’ll have the traditional festival with music, food and Santa, the parade starts at 6:00pm. On Saturday, they’ll annouce the Holiday Decorating Contest winners.
- New Faith based movie with Erik Estrada to premiere at Brighton Reservation’s Florida Seminole Veterans Building. All Family Ministries will be screening a new faith and family friendly film called FINDING FAITH on Friday, December 6th, 2013 @ 7:00pm. (Doors open at 6:30) All Family Ministries will also be hosting the star of the film, Erik Estrada to the screening.
There is no charge but there will be a love offering received. There will also be film related sales and concessions available.
- Big Lake Missions Outreach will have a toy run this Saturday, December 7th at the Brahman Theater, 1500 S. Parrott Ave. The old men riders is sponsoring their annual 125 mile Bike Run around Lake Okeechobee to benefit local children in the area. All the money raised will go to Big Lake Missions Outreach, which is a tax deductible donation. Donations to ride can be made out to Big Lake Missions Outreach, they’ll be leaving at 8:30am and stopping along for breakfast. For more info call 863-634-1723 or 863-697-6433
- There will be a male softball tournament this Saturday, December 7th at the Okeechobee County Softball fields. The cost is $200 per team and you bring your own balls (size 44/375). They’ll also have a bake sale, auction and the concession stand will be open for service. All money raised will go towards local firefighter Captain Mike Hopkins who was diagnosed with cancer. Contact 863-634-2171 or 863-447-9995 for more information, for more info on entering a team or making a donation, go search “Mike Hopkins” @ youcaring.com
- The Ladies Auxiliary of Big Lake Post 10539 will hold their annual Christmas Bazaar at the post on December 7, 2013. This event is a craft fair/flea market. The purpose of the event is improve community awareness of our post while at the same time raising money to aid in cancer research through VFW national projects. The event is open to everyone. Anyone with slightly used items that we could sell at our cancer table is invited to bring them to the post or call Sherri Fields @ 863.801.5180 to arrange for us to pick up the items from you. We will not accept any clothing items but pretty much anything else is welcome. We will also be serving breakfast that morning. We will be offering sausage biscuits and gravy for $3.00 a plate. Coffee, milk, water and juice items will also be available for purchase. The kitchen will start serving at 7:30 AM.
- Tickets are now available for the 17th Annual Holiday Fashion Show and Luncheon presented by Okeechobee Chapter No. 128 on Saturday, December 7th at the KOA Convention Center. This annual event features our members modeling beautiful fashions from local merchants. Doors will open at 11:00 AM with lunch being served at 12:00. This will allow those attending the show time to view and purchase tickets for the numerous gifts, baskets and certificates on our Tea Cup Auction table. Merchants from the Okeechobee community have been very generous in donating items for this annual event. Tickets are $12.00 per person and can be purchased from any OES member or by contacting Neicha Spiller at 863-357-7084. No tickets will be sold at the door.
- Masonic Lodge, 107 NW 5th, is hosting a Sunday breakfast, this Sunday, December 8th for a donation of $6 dollars from 8-11am. The menu includes eggs, bacon, grits, pancakes, biscuits & gravy, juice, coffee. Public is welcome and carry out is available! All proceeds go towards Local Mason Giving.
Sport Related Events
- A new football league is opening up here in Okeechobee called Okeechobee Wolverines Youth travel football and cheerleading. You can sign up for cheerleading for ages 4-15, they have practices Tuesdays and Thursdays at the softball fields across from Yearling from 6-7pm. Football signups will most likely begin in December, if you’re interested feel free to call them for more information. Any questions or comments call Alan or Leann at 863-697-0398!
*send all of your event information to Countrystore@wokc.com, fax: 1-888-875-1570, or stop by the station at 210 WN Park St. Suite 102 anytime between 9am and 4:30pm!