SFWMD to Participate in Palm Beach Business Opportunity Conference
This year’s theme is Quality Connections “Ready, Set, Grow”
WHAT: A coalition of Palm Beach agencies is set to hold the 9th annual Business Matchmaker Conference & Expo to stimulate economic opportunity and job growth for South Florida entrepreneurs.
Known as the Palm Beach Partners, the coalition of city, county, state and nonprofit agencies includes: the South Florida Water Management District (SFWMD); Palm Beach County Board of County Commissioners; School District of Palm Beach County; City of West Palm Beach; Technology Enterprise & Development (TED) Center; and the Paragon Foundation of the Palm Beaches Inc.
The daylong event will feature a selection of workshops and keynote speaker Sheila G. Mains, founder and CEO of Brownie Brittle LLC and creator of Sheila G’s™ Original Brownie Brittle™ Snacks.
WHEN: Friday, September 18, 2015
TIME: 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
WHERE: Raymond F. Kravis Center for the Performing Arts
701 Okeechobee Blvd.
West Palm Beach, FL 33401
WHO: The event is open to the public. There is a registration fee.
RSVP: For information or to register online, visit www.pbmatchmaker.com.
Okeechobee’s Upcoming Events 9-1-15
September Blood Drives:
Thurs., Sept. 3 – Wal Mart, 12 – 5
Sat., Sept. 5 – At the Park, 10 – 3
Sun., Sept 6—Labor Day Festival, 10 – 3
Mon., Sept. 7 – Labor Day Festival, 9 – 2
Sat., Sept 12 – Chevrolet, Ford, Dodge NASCAR drive, 10 – 3
Thurs., Sept. 17 – Publix, 3 – 6
Sun., Sept. 20 – Golden Corral, 11 – 4
Tues., Sept. 22 – Raulerson Hospital, 1 – 7
Sat., Sept. 26 – Wal Mart, 11 – 4
Sun., Sept. 27 – More 2 Life Ministries, 605 SW Park St., 9:30 – 1:30
Mon., Sept. 28 – Winn Dixie, 1 – 6
Thurs., Oct. 1 – SFWMD, 1000 NE 40th Ave., 1 – 5
Fri., Oct. 2 – Harbor Community Bank, 1 – 6
- K9 Resque is in need of volunteers for both the rescue and the pet food pantry, and we are also are looking for good loving foster homes for our dogs, if interested please call 863-824-5373
- The Brahma Bull Restaurant & Lounge (2405 Hwy. 441 S.E.) will be hosting Texas Hold-em Tournaments beginning on each Tuesday. The games help to support the “Dogs and Cats Forever” no kill animal shelter in Pt. St. Lucie. Signin is at 7:00P.M. and games start promptly at 7:30P.M. Buy-in is $20.00. Bar Service and food is available for purchase. For more information, call Patty at 772-519-2263. Look forward to seeing you.
- Teen Driver Challenge will have training days on September 11th and 12th, first day is a four hour block and the second day is an eight hour block. The training will be at the Okeechobee Driver’s Ed Pad at the High School. They’ll learn service and maintenance, techniques on vehicle control, crash avoidance, and lots more. Students must have either a permit or driver’s license. Certificate of completion can be given to your insurance company for a possible reduction in cost. All instructors are OCSO deputies. They’ll more training sessions on October9th-10th, November 13th-14th, December 11th-12th, January 8th-9th, February 12th-13th, March 11th-12th and April 8th-9th. for details on how to register, call 863-763-2131 ext 1204.
- Applications are now being accepted for the Labor Day Celebration being held on September 6 – September 7 from 10 – 3. Applications are available at the Main Street office or online at www.okeechobeemainstreet.org. If you are interested in participating in the parade Monday morning please contact Teresa Chandler Bishop at E: email@example.com Tel: 863-801-4996
- The Girl Scouts are coming, and we are looking to start new troops in Okeechobee! The Girl Scouts is a non-profit organization meant to encourage young girls ages 5-18, to be confident, courageous, and inspire moral character. We are looking to start troops of all levels and in all schools. However, to start a troop, we need YOU! We need our PARENTS and ADULTS to step up and volunteer to be the troop leaders! Help the Girl Scouts INSPIRE your children to be future leaders by being one yourself, today!An informational session will be held Thursday, September 10th, from 5pm to 7pm at the Freshman Campus Cafeteria; Sunday, September 13th, from 2pm to 4pm at the Episcopal Church; Thursday, September17th from 5pm to 7pm at Chobee Skate n’ Bowl (the first 5 girls and adults to register as a member will be given a free bowling game); and Saturday, September 26th from 9am-11am at the Brown Cow Sweetery. These events are free to attend, but there is a fee associated with membership. Financial assistance is available to those who qualify. For more information please email Jessa Little at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Concealed Weapon Permit class will be conducted on Thursday evening September 17, 2015 beginning at 7 PM at the Chamber. The class will last approximately two hours. Range qualification will take place on Saturday September 19, 2015. You will be instructed where to meet on Saturday during the Thursday evening class. You may use your own weapon or you may use the weapon we provide you during qualification. The costs of the class is $40.00 which must be paid in advance. You may sign up by clicking on register online. You may pay for the class online with a credit card or stop by the Chamber and pay for the class with a check or cash. Those people who sign up and do not pay in advance will not be guaranteed a seat in the class.
- A “Shoot to kill” cancer charity shooting event will be held Saturday 9/12 at Ok Corral Gun Club 9449 NE 48th St. The tournament will be played in a fist person team format with four shooting events of various courses of fire. For information call: 561-440-4223.
- The next Tobacco Free Partnership of Okeechobee County luncheon which will be held on Wednesday September 16th at noon. The location of the meeting will be at The Thompson Fellowship Hall at the United Pentecostal Church, 405 SW 10th Ave. Okeechobee FL 34974. This meeting is open to all community partners and anyone interested in Tobacco Prevention. Please bring a friend, neighbor, co-worker or family member to the meeting with you. Tobacco is the #1 Preventable Death……Together We Can Create Change. Lunch will be provided. Please feel free to email or call (863-801-8277) me with any questions or comments. Otherwise I hope to see you on Wednesday September 16th at noon!
- Leadership Okeechobee is now accepting applications! The purpose of the Leadership Okeechobee Program is to cultivate leadership through education, exposure to the community, and interaction between class members. Our ultimate goal is to prepare students for a personal journey along the wonderful and rewarding path to community service. The following are our program objectives: To prepare future/potential leaders to meet the challenges ahead for Okeechobee. You will explore critical issues via a series of seminars and related activities. You will interact with key decision-makers, local leaders and representatives of local government to gain a better understanding of the forces which impact your community as a whole. The key to preserving and enhancing the quality of life is a well-informed citizen. The program begins in September and continues each month until graduation in May. Once accepted, a fee of $425 is required to cover meals, transportation and other program expenses. If you have any questions, please call the Chamber at (863) 467-6246
Sport Related Events
Every year in September, the Okeechobee Ministerial Association sponsors a Prayer Walk for our schools. We go as a group, to different campuses, praying for the students, teachers, administrators and support staff in a very tangible way. There are 5 Tuesdays this year so the schedule will be a little different. THIS TUESDAY, September 1st, we will begin at the Freshman Campus at 6:00 p.m. Everyone is invited to come, walk the campus or sit in your car and pray. From there we will travel to two other campuses and do the same. This will be repeated at different schools, both public and private, throughout the county. For more information, contact Nancy Vaughan, Acting Secretary for the Okeechobee Ministerial Association, 763-4021.
Agri-Civic Center Events
If you’re a non-profit organization and have an upcoming event please send all of your information to 210 WN Park St. Suite 102, email it in at email@example.com or fax us at 1-888-875-1570. Thank you!