DUAL ENROLLMENT AT IRSC GIVES HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS A HEAD START
High school students and their parents concerned about the cost of college are invited to Dual Enrollment Information Sessions held by Indian River State College in each of the four counties served by IRSC. Dual Enrollment provides an opportunity for high school students to begin working on their college degree for free while finishing high school, saving time and thousands of dollars in tuition for students and their parents. Dates and locations for the upcoming free information session in Okeechobee is :
Tuesday, March 3 at 6:30 p.m.
Dixon Hendry Campus, 2229 N.W. 9th Street, Okeechobee
Dual Enrollment students complete requirements toward high school graduation and earn college credits at the same time without paying college tuition. For example, classes such as College Algebra and English Composition that cost $600 in tuition and books at a state university can be completed at no tuition charge to students and their parents.
Dual Enrollment provides high school students with many benefits. The courses are offered at times that are convenient for the student’s schedule. Dual Enrollment courses are weighted the same as Honors, Advanced Placement, Advanced International Certificate of Education (AICE) and International Baccalaureate courses when high school grade point averages are calculated. Credits earned through Dual Enrollment readily transfer to all Florida public universities and most universities nationally.
Contact the IRSC Information Call Center toll-free at 1-866-792-4772 questions or email email@example.com for more information.
Commissioner Speaks On Behalf Of Okeechobee Rehab (Audio Included)
Commissioner Bryant Culpepper spoke to the Kiwanis Club of Okeechobee about the ongoing investigation regarding the Okeechobee Rehab Facility formally known as The Arc.
The center is being investigated for misuse of funds back in 2007. Mr. Culpepper stresses that nobody involved at that time is still with the center. Culpepper and associates is trying to overturn an eviction notice so that the center may remain open and continue to work with clients. Mr. Culpepper would like to see the people currently in place be able to remain after the investigation is complete which he feels should be soon.
Okeechobee Rehab is a facility that works with clients that have developmental disabilities such as down’s syndrome in order to assist their families.
Okeechobee’s Upcoming Events 3-5-14
- Habitat for Humanity is now open here in Okeechobee! They’re located at 1321 HWY 70E in the Old Apple Crate building. Open Monday through Friday 9-5. Accepting donations of any kind except clothes! Call for more information at 863-763-1371, volunteers are always needed!
- K9 Resque is in need of volunteers for both the rescue and the pet food pantry, and we are also are looking for good loving foster homes for our dogs, if interested please call 863-824-5373
- A meeting of the “Stroke Support Group” will be held at the Heritage Assisted Living Facility on the 2nd Wednesday of every month at 6:00pm. This is a good chance to talk to others about their experience. Light refreshments will be available, for more information phone the Heritage at 863-763-1700 or 863-634-8412.
- Are your children tired of ordinary sports? Are you looking for a safe and fun activity for them? Want to compete like an Olympic Champion? Here is the opportunity you’ve been waiting for – WRESTLING with the OKEECHOBEE WRESTLING CLUB! Come see what this fun and competitive sport is all about, registration is March 5th at 6:00 at the O.H.S. Gym for ages 5-18. Practice begins March 8. Elementary practices Tuesday and Thursday from 6:00-7:00 Middle and High School practice Tuesday and Thursday from 7:00-8:00. Cost is $40.00 per wrestler. For more information call Bruce Jahner at 634-9411
- The Okeechobee County Fair begins on March 10 – 15, 2015. We have got some very unique things going at the Fair. Come and race your favorite locally sponsored race car at Fast Action sports. Do you want to ride a thrilling helicopter ride, we have rides each day. Great food ( Steak tips are back again along with those great big donuts), so come and support the Fair.
- The Chamber of Commerce will hold its monthly Chamber Power Networking Breakfast on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 Starting at 7:00 AM and concluding at 9:00 AM at MidFlorida Credit Union.This is an excellent opportunity to get to know your local business people and build lasting relationships in a professional environment. Want to be this months Business Spotlight bring your business card to enter!
- The Concealed Weapon Permit class will be conducted on Thursday evening March 19 , 2015 beginning at 7 PM at the Chamber.The class will last approximately two hours.Range qualification will take place on Saturday March 21, 2015.You will be instructed where to meet on Saturday during the Thursday evening class.You may use your own weapon or you may use the weapon we provide you during qualification. The costs of the class is $40.00 which must be paid in advance.You may sign up by clicking on register online.You may pay for the class online with a credit card or stop by the Chamber and pay for the class with a check or cash.Those people who sign up and do not pay in advance will not be guaranteed a seat in the class.
- The Chamber of Commerce will hold its monthly Evening Networking Social the “Business After Hours from 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM on Tuesday,March 24, 2015! This is an excellent opportunity to get to know your local business people and build lasting relationships in a professional environment. The host this month is The Lounge at Sacred Sanctuary.
- March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness month. Join Raulerson Hospital and guest speaker, Gastroenterologist Dr. Vikram Tarugu to learn about screenings, prevention and treatment at Dine with the Doctor on Tuesday, March 31st. Dinner is at 4:30 p.m. ($5) and the free lecture begins at 5:00 p.m. Please RSVP to 763-9228.
Sport Related Events
- Papa Johns is presenting their weekly fundraiser every Thursday when you order from Papa John’s they’ll donate 10% of your total order to the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band. Valid for carry out or delivery, you can also order online by using the PROMO CODE OCSD2014. Be sure to mention that you are a supporter of the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band when you are placing an order.
Agri-Civic Center Events
If you’re a non-profit organization and have an upcoming event please send all of your information to 210 WN Park St. Suite 102, email it in at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax us at 1-888-875-1570. Thank you!