VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR ART PROJECT
Devereux Community Based Care of Okeechobee and the Treasure Coast is looking for a few art-minded volunteers to help us spruce up our two Okeechobee County Visitation Rooms. These are rooms where children in foster care visit and play with their families, and we’d really like to make it a nice place for everyone to meet.
We will supply the paint and supplies needed for the project. Our office is located at 208 NE Seventh Ave., Okeechobee (behind Cowboy’s Restaurant). Our hours of operation are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday.
If you are a member of a volunteer, social or church group and can help us during office hours, please contact Angela Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Okeechobee’s Upcoming Events 7-30-14
****Open House for the start of the 2014-2015 school year will be held on Thursday, August 14, 2014. In order to help parents who have children in more than one school within the district, times will be staggered:
- Elementary Schools will be open from 5 PM to 7 PM
- Middle Schools will be open from 6 PM to 8 PM
- Okeechobee Achievement Academy will be open from 6 PM to 8 PM
- Okeechobee High School and Okeechobee Freshman Campus will be open from 7 PM to 9 PM
- A meeting of the “Stroke Support Group” will be held at the Heritage Assisted Living Facility on the 2nd Wednesday of every month at 6:00pm. This is a good chance to talk to others about their experience. Light refreshments will be available, for more information phone the Heritage at 863-763-1700 or 863-634-8412.
- The Brahma Bull Restaurant and Lounge is hosting a Christmas in July throughout the entire month of July. They’ll be accepting clothes unwrapped educational toy, books or money donation for children 13 years of age and under. They’re also looking for canned goods or non-perishable items for Big Lake Missions Outreach. All proceeds will remain in Okeechobee. Brahma Bull is located at 2405 HWY 441 SE.
- Youth Talent Show Saturday, August 2nd 6 pm Free will offering to the Youth Okeechobee Church of God Pastor: Mark Smith Phone (863) 763-4127
- Join us at Raulerson Hospital to learn about diabetic cooking ideas with our Executive Chef Ron Corrado. Wednesday, August 6th at 5:30 p.m. –Raulerson Hospital Cafeteria Learn new recipes and even sample some of the creations. There is no fee to participate. Space is limited. RSVP: 763-9228.
- Okeechobee Chamber of Commerce’s Power Networking Breakfast on August 12, 2014 will be held @ The Brown Cow Sweetery from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
Sport Related Events
- OCRA Fall Baseball/Softball sign ups will be held on Saturday, August 9th, 16th, and 23rd at the Sports Complex. The cost is $50 dollars per child and they have to be between 8-12 by May 1st. Looking for sponsors and coaches as well. For more info call Mickey @ 863-634-0515 or Bambi @ 772-353-8790.
- Papa Johns is presenting their weekly fundraiser every Thursday when you order from Papa John’s they’ll donate 10% of your total order to the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band. Valid for carry out or delivery, you can also order online by using the PROMO CODE OCSD2014. Be sure to mention that you are a supporter of the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band when you are placing an order.
- Paddock Farms is “driving on” ! Learn how to drive your horse, racing, obstacles and more! Paddock Farms will be available every weekend after to teach you about how to drive your horse. Must be 18 years of age or older, all horses brought to the Paddock Farms must have a negative coggins test and you will be asked to sign a waiver. Not sure if your horse could race? You will have the option to have your horse evaluated. Don’t have a horse? No problem, they’ll provide them for you. No experience is necessary. No horse? No harness? No problem! Call Nancy at 863-634-1440 or 863-634-1438 for more information.
- We are now accepting donations for the “Stuff the Bus for School Supplies” project. Tickets for the Flapjack Breakfast @ Applebee’s on August 9 to benefit the “Stuff the Bus” are now being sold at the Chamber of Commerce, Edward Jones Investment and WOKC.
Agri-Civic Center Events
- Weekdays, 4-H Horse Camp - Monday 7/14/14 through Friday 8/1/14 Okeechobee 4-H Horse Day Camp is a series of week long day camps that will be conducted three weeks during July. Each week is different, but activities all three weeks focus on youth and horses with the goal to provide meaningful educational experiences for youth. The day camps provided for a continuance of learning opportunities during the summer months as well as motivation to be physically active in a safe supervised venue