Avon Park offers Certified Professional Food Manager Review Class/Exam
AVON PARK – A Certified Professional Food Manager Review Class & Exam is scheduled for Friday, May 1, at Ridge Area Arc Training Room.
The review class will be from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The exam will be from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. The facility is located at 120 West College Drive, Avon Park.
The cost is $150 per student. The fee includes a ServSafe® Manager Review Guide, Review Class, ServSafe® CPFM Exam and a First Time Passing Guarantee for those attending the review class and buying the guide. If a student does not pass the first time, the second time the review class and exam are free as long as the student calls within 21 days of original exam. Materials are in English. Seating is limited.
Those who just want to recertify can take the exam only for $60 or if a student needs a book to study for the exam then it is $90. The review class or free second test are not included. Students wanting to take the exam only can come at 1:30 p.m.
Register for the class by April 17. Bring payment to Ridge Area Arc Administration, 120 W. College Dr., Avon Park where students can also pick up their Manager Review Guide. Checks or money orders must be made payable to Ridge Area Arc. Cash and credit cards are accepted. A $20 fee will apply to all returned checks. A “no show” will result in a loss of all registration fees.
For more details, call Cindy Marshall at 863-452-1295, ext. 124.
The National Restaurant Association’s ServSafe Food Protection Manager Certification is nationally recognized. It is good for five years from the exam date. Local laws apply. Earning the certification tells the industry that the certified manager knows food safety and the critical importance of its role – and enables them to share food safety knowledge with every other employee.
Through ServSafe Food Safety, students will master sanitation, the flow of food through an operation, sanitary facilities and pest management. ServSafe is the training that is learned, remembered, shared and used.
According to Florida Statutes and related administrative rules, managers responsible for storage, preparation, display and service of food in the Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulation-licensed food service establishments to pass a Certified Food Manager examination. Every DBPR-licensed food service establishment must have at least one certified food manager, and one must be present any time four or more employees are engaged in preparation, storage, or service of food. Managers have 30 days after employment to become certified.
The food training programs are a service provided to the community by Ridge Area Arc. Arc is a local non-profit charitable organization that offers training and education to individuals with disabilities. The food programs are open to all individuals.
Commissioner Speaks On Behalf Of Okeechobee Rehab (Audio Included)
Commissioner Bryant Culpepper spoke to the Kiwanis Club of Okeechobee about the ongoing investigation regarding the Okeechobee Rehab Facility formally known as The Arc.
The center is being investigated for misuse of funds back in 2007. Mr. Culpepper stresses that nobody involved at that time is still with the center. Culpepper and associates is trying to overturn an eviction notice so that the center may remain open and continue to work with clients. Mr. Culpepper would like to see the people currently in place be able to remain after the investigation is complete which he feels should be soon.
Okeechobee Rehab is a facility that works with clients that have developmental disabilities such as down’s syndrome in order to assist their families.
Okeechobee’s Upcoming Events 3-30-14
Please help us build our supply by donating during the month of March at any of the following drives.
Mon., March 30 – Publix, 1 – 6
Wed., April 1 – Publix, 1 – 6
Wed., April 1 – Wal Mart, 12 – 5
Thurs., April 9 – IRSC Campus, 3 – 8
Fri., April 10 – Harbor Community Bank, 12 – 5
Fri., April 10 – Walgreen’s, 2 – 7
Sun., April 12 – Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Hwy 78W, BHR, 8 – 2
Fri., April 17 – Samboree at KOA, 10 – 3
Sat., April 18 – Martha’s House – Celebrate Life – in the park, 10 – 3
Sun., April 19 – Golden Corral, 11 – 4
Thurs., April 23 – SFWMD field office on Hwy 70E, 1 – 5
Fri., April 24 – Seacoast Bank, South, 10 – 4
Sat., April 25 – Wal Mart, 11 – 4
Tues., April 28 – Raulerson Hospital, 1 – 6
- Habitat for Humanity is now open here in Okeechobee! They’re located at 1321 HWY 70E in the Old Apple Crate building. Open Monday through Friday 9-5. Accepting donations of any kind except clothes! Call for more information at 863-763-1371, volunteers are always needed!
- K9 Resque is in need of volunteers for both the rescue and the pet food pantry, and we are also are looking for good loving foster homes for our dogs, if interested please call 863-824-5373
- A meeting of the “Stroke Support Group” will be held at the Heritage Assisted Living Facility on the 2nd Wednesday of every month at 6:00pm. This is a good chance to talk to others about their experience. Light refreshments will be available, for more information phone the Heritage at 863-763-1700 or 863-634-8412.
- Tickets are on sale to the 43rd annual Kiwanis Club of Okeechobee Easter Pancake Breakfast. Only $10 for all you can eat pancakes, home made sausage and fresh squeezed orange juice. Proceeds help The Kiwanis Club of Okeechobee fund scholarships for local students, mini-grants for our hard working local teachers and other projects that benefit the youth of Okeechobee. Get yours from any member or at the Chamber office. Easter is April 5th this year and you can enjoy the breakfast at either Cowboys Restaurant or First United Methodist Church Of Okeechobee from 7am-10am.
- The Concealed Weapon Permit class will be conducted on Thursday evening April 16, 2015 beginning at 7 PM at the Chamber. The class will last approximately two hours. Range qualification will take place on Saturday April 18, 2015. You will be instructed where to meet on Saturday during the Thursday evening class. You may use your own weapon or you may use the weapon we provide you during qualification. The costs of the class is $40.00 which must be paid in advance.You may sign up by clicking on register online.You may pay for the class online with a credit card or stop by the Chamber and pay for the class with a check or cash.Those people who sign up and do not pay in advance will not be guaranteed a seat in the class.
- If you have never been to a Chamber Business After hours please join us for the next one on April 21st being hosted by Staffords Salon (A Paul Mitchell Focus Salon) located at 313 SW Park Street. Please RSVP at www.okeechobeebusiness.com everyone is welcome. See you then
- Celebrate Earth Day witnessing the beauty and biodiversity in your own backyard. Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park, 54000 acres of unique Florida dry prairie in Okeechobee County, is reminiscent of the Florida’s past, as described in Patrick Smith’s book “A Land Remembered.” Join us for a Spring Prairie Wildflower Walk led by two of Florida’s leading wildflower experts: Roger Hammer & Craig Huegel.Cost is $24 for Friends of Kissimmee Prairie Preserve members and $34 for non-members. A $4 per vehicle entry fee is also required and must be paid at the gate when you enter the park. Each walk is limited to 20 participants, and many spots are already filled.Participants may also sign up for a free 45 minute buggy ride in the Prairie.Visit the Friends of Kissimmee Prairie Preserve website for more information and to register
Sport Related Events
- Papa Johns is presenting their weekly fundraiser every Thursday when you order from Papa John’s they’ll donate 10% of your total order to the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band. Valid for carry out or delivery, you can also order online by using the PROMO CODE OCSD2014. Be sure to mention that you are a supporter of the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band when you are placing an order.
Agri-Civic Center Events
If you’re a non-profit organization and have an upcoming event please send all of your information to 210 WN Park St. Suite 102, email it in at email@example.com or fax us at 1-888-875-1570. Thank you!