Comedian and impressionist Frank Caliendo was a guest last Thursday night on The Sports Grill With Billy And Ken promoting a show he is doing at the Seminole Casino in Brighton.
Okeechobee’s Upcoming Events 2-27-14
- The Better Breathers Class is a support group for people with COPD or other respiratory related issues. Better Breathers meet the first Wednesday of each month at 5:00 p.m. in Raulerson Hospital’s In-Service Classroom.
- A meeting of the “Stroke Support Group” will be held at the Heritage Assisted Living Facility on the 2nd Wednesday of every month at 6:00pm. This is a good chance to talk to others about their experience. Light refreshments will be available, for more information phone the Heritage at 863-763-1700 or 863-634-8412.
- School out for a holiday break or teacher plan day? Here is an opportunity for supervised childcare, ages K – age 13, full pay, reduced pay, and some financial assistance. For questions, please call the camp hotline at 863-484-0202. YMCA camp is located at Sacred Heart Catholic Church’s pavilion in Okeechobee.
- The Economic Opportunities Council of Indian River County is accepting applications for Northside Head Start and VPK. Children must have been born before September 2, 2010. Birth Certificate and social security number for the child applying and proof of family income is required. For more information call the Northside Head Start Office, 863-357-8677 for an appointment and additional information. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.
- “Joy in the Mourning” is a grief support group and bible study for anyone who has lost a loved one through death or divorce. All are welcome to attend; the support group will meet every Monday at 6pm and Tuesday at 2pm at the Gathering, 1735 SW 24th Ave. For more information contact Gale at 863-634-8504.
- Okeechobee Christian Academy (OCA) will be collecting Easter basket items such as; individually wrapped candy, snacks, toys, small stuffed animals, plastic eggs, books, crayons, puzzles, bubbles and hygiene products. Monetary donations will also be welcomed and will be used to purchase items that are needed. This year, our goal is to make 175 Easter baskets for children right here in Okeechobee County who may not otherwise receive a basket. The Waste Management and the B.R.A.T. Club have agreed to donate all of the baskets to get us started; now we need your help to fill them! Donations can be dropped off at American Drilling Services, The Brown Cow Sweetery, The 1-Stop Party Shop, The Pregnancy Center of Okeechobee, WOKC, The Okeechobee City Police Department, The Okeechobee County Sheriff’s Department, Wemmer Orthodontics, Everglades Pediatric Dentistry, Bank of America, Centerstate Bank, Seacoast National Bank, Suntrust Bank, TD Bank, Teez 2 Pleez and Okeechobee Christian Academy. During the week before Easter, the students at Okeechobee Christian Academy student body will assemble each basket. The finished baskets will be donated to Communities In Schools who will distribute the baskets to children in Okeechobee County. This is a great opportunity to share joy of Easter with then children in our community. Please call Sarah if you would like more information about donating (863) 634-2276. For more information on Communities In Schools, please call Jill at (863) 462-5125 Ext.128
- The Buckhead Ridge Moose Lodge #2417 is hosting a Thursday night dinner beginning at 5:00pm until they run out. The menu consists of baked chicken, yellow rice, garden salad, and dessert for a donation of $6 dollars. For more information call 863-763-2250.
- There will be a Gospel Sing at the 7th Day Christian Church featuring The Celebration Singers on Friday, February 28th beginning at 7:30pm. The public is invited and the event will be located at 912 NW Park St and HWY 70W.
- The Okeechobee County Sheriff’s Office is having a March of Dimes BBQ fundraiser on Friday, February 28th from 11am to 1:30pm at 504 NW 4th St on the east side of the Sheriff’s office. The menu consists of BBQ ribs, beans, potato salad, roll and dessert for $10 dollars. Orders of 5 or more can be delivered, call 863-763-3117 ext 5022 for orders.
- A benefit BBQ for the owner of Unlimited Auto & Marine Upholstery, Bruce Nast, on Friday, February 28th from 10am to 2pm for $10 dollars you get pulled pork, baked beans, coleslaw, roll and dessert. Delivery of 5 or more orders is available. Also selling Boston Butts for $30 dollars. For more info call Becky @ 863-763-9460 ext 219.
- Free car wash and bake sale on Saturday, March 1st at the Tractor Supply parking lot to benefit Relay for Life and the American Cancer Society. The car wash and bake sale will be from 10am to 3pm, come out and support the Relay for Life and cancer victims!
- The Single Seniors Club of Okeechobee is hosting a dance on Saturday, March 1st at the Bull Pen (banquet hall of Cowboy’s BBQ and Steak Company, 202 NE 7th Ave) doors open at 5pm and dance starts at 7pm. For more info call 863-357-0676
- Silver Palms RV Resort is having a car show Sunday March 2nd from Noon – 3pm. All proceeds benefit the Wounded Warrior Project. It is free admission. Craft Show, Food, Live Music by “Solid Gold” band. I talked to someone last week that said we could get this advertised for free between 7am – 11am.
- Dr. Fred Brown Memorial Scholarship Poker Tournament will be on Wednesday March 5th beginning at 6pm at the Speckled Perch Steak House. The cost is $50 dollars and the first 100 players are guaranteed seating. Table sponsors available to businesses and individuals for $100; call Russ Brown for more info at 772-285-9914.
- Library is hosting an open mic night on Thursday, March 6th at the Okeechobee County Library beginning at 5:30pm. Open Mic Night is for writers to read from their original work. All genres are welcome. Each reader gets 5 minutes, public is invited. For more info call Jan Day @ 863-357-9980.
Sport Related Events
- Applebee’s will be sponsoring a Flapjack fundraiser for the OHS Tennis Team on March 1st from 8am to 10am at Applebee’s, 1210 HWY 70E. Tickets are $10 dollars a piece and for more information call 216-695-7967.
- The B.R.A.T club is hosting a fundraising Dodge ball Tournament on Saturday, March 1st beginning at 9am in Flagler Park #3. $50 dollars per team or $10 dollars per player, concession will be available for watchers. All proceeds go towards OHS scholarships and the Teen Dance program. Call Allison Chandler for more info at 863-697-9096.
- The Okeechobee Wrestling Club will be having sign ups on March 4th & 6th at the OHS Gym. Practice starts March 4th, 6-7pm for Elementary School kids, 7-8pm for Middle and High School kids. The cost is $40 dollars per student, call Coach Jahner for questions at 863-634-9411.
- Cypress Hut Eagles #4509 is hosting a benefit golf tournament for Nellie Summerford. She’s been diagnosed with cystic fibrosis. The tournament will be at the Blue Heron golf course on Saturday, March 8th beginning at 8am with a shot gun start. $35 per player and $25 to sponsor a hole. Prizes will be award at the Cypress Hut Eagles #4509 following. The Calcutta will be at the Cypress Hut Eagles (4701 HWY 441SE) at 7pm on March 7th. For information call 863-467-1154.
- The Band Boosters of Okeechobee is hosting a Moonlight Madness golf extravaganza on Saturday, March 8th beginning at 6:30pm. A 9 hole event held entirely within the OHS campus, 1st glow in the dark ball provided with entry fee for each player. Hole sponsorships are available at $50 dollars. Entry fee is $10 dollars and check in is between 5:30-6:15. For additional info call 863-634-0194. All proceeds benefit the Band Boosters for Okeechobee County.
If you’re a non-profit organization and have an upcoming event please send all of your information to 210 WN Park St. Suite 102, email it in at email@example.com or fax us at 1-888-875-1570. Thank you!