Okeechobee’s Upcoming Events 4-15-14
- A meeting of the “Stroke Support Group” will be held at the Heritage Assisted Living Facility on the 2nd Wednesday of every month at 6:00pm. This is a good chance to talk to others about their experience. Light refreshments will be available, for more information phone the Heritage at 863-763-1700 or 863-634-8412.
- The Economic Opportunities Council of Indian River County is accepting applications for Northside Head Start and VPK. Children must have been born before September 2, 2010. Birth Certificate and social security number for the child applying and proof of family income is required. For more information call the Northside Head Start Office, 863-357-8677 for an appointment and additional information. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.
- “Joy in the Mourning” is a grief support group and bible study for anyone who has lost a loved one through death or divorce. All are welcome to attend; the support group will meet every Monday at 6pm and Tuesday at 2pm at the Gathering, 1735 SW 24th Ave. For more information contact Gale at 863-634-8504.
- Buckhead Ridge Moose Lodge #2417 is hosting a dinner this Thursday, April 17th beginning at 5pm. Members and qualified guests may attend. The dinner includes roast pork, mashed potatoes, green beans, roll and butter for $6 dollar donation. For more info call 863-763-2250
2nd Annual Community Easter Egg Hunt on Saturday, April 19th at 11am. There will be 3 age groups 1-4, 5-8 and 9-12. Free hot dogs and drinks for kids and prizes. All children must have an adult with them. Sponsored by the Auxiliaries of the VFW Post 4423, located at 300 NW 34th St.
- Buckhead Ridge women of the moose will host an Easter Sunday dinner on April 20th beginning at 1:00pm until 5:00pm. The menu includes ham, sweet potatoes, green beans, scalloped potatoes, roll and butter with dessert for a $7 dollar donation. Members and qualified guests are welcome to attend.
- Okeechobee Main Street Art and Culture committee will be having an artist reception on Tuesday, April 22nd. The public is invited to the historic county courthouse to meet the artists who make up the Country Life exhibit. Light refreshments will be served from 5-7pm.
- Join Main Street at Golden Corral on Wednesday, April 23rd for a general membership meeting at noon. Voting for new board members will be done at this time.
- Applebee’s is hosting a pancake fundraiser breakfast for the DARE program this Saturday, April 26th from 8am to 10am. For more info call Morgan Undergrott at 216-695-7967.
The Chamber of Commerce will hold its monthly Chamber Business After Hours on Tuesday April 29, 2014 at 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM at OK Corral Gun Club located at 9449 NE 48th Street. This is an excellent opportunity to get to know your local business people and build lasting relationships in a professional environment. So don’t miss the opportunity, RSVP NOW via the Chamber calendar.
Have you been considering starting a business, but getting it started feels overwhelming? Where do you start? How can you get started on the right path? We’ve assembled a team of area professionals to provide you necessary information for you to consider before starting a business. We’ll provide you information on permits, insurance, accounting, human resources, legal issues, web site and marketing. Join us on June 5 at 9 a.m. and determine if starting a business is right for you. Okeechobee Chamber of Commerce, 55 S. Parrott Ave, Okeechobee, FL 34974. Please call Antoinette Rodriguez or Mariah Parriott at 863.467.6246 to RSVP!
- Come out to the Veteran’s Appreciation Day at Freedom Ranch on Saturday, May 10th from 10am to 3pm. They’ll have BBQ chow, live music, swamp buggy rides, arena action, military equipment displays from local veterans group. The mobile vet center will also be there. Public is welcome, RSVP at 863-763-9800
Sport Related Events
- The Chobee Bulls is a football program that intends to field four teams for the upcoming season. Sign ups will be accepted on Saturday the 19th at the Okeechobee Skate Park, NW 5th Ave from 9am to 2pm. Each athlete should bring a copy of their birth certificate and the fee is $60 dollars. Players age 6-8 can weigh up to 85 pounds, age 9-10 up to 100 pounds, age 11-12 up to 125 pounds, ages 13-14 up to 160 pounds. They’ll compete in the Glades Tri City Youth Football League with teams from Belle Glades, Indiantown, Pahokee and Palm Beach County. For more information call 863-801-5603.
- The 2014 Law Enforcement Torch Run for Special Olympics is scheduled to travel through Okeechobee County on May 2. The run will begin at the Okeechobee County Sheriff’s Office at 9:00 a.m. The route will conclude at Publix located at 3551 Highway 441 South.At Publix, Special Olympic Athletes will join the runners and be acknowledged for their participation. A fundraising BBQ will immediately follow. The BBQ will be ribs, 2 sides, dessert and tea. The cost is $10.00 for a rib dinner or $20.00 for a slab of ribs. Advance tickets will be available, contact (863)763-3117. Each year, law enforcement officers from more than 300 Florida agencies participate in the statewide torch run to benefit the athletes of Special Olympics Florida. More than 5,000 officers carry the torch on a 1,500-mile relay through 66 counties in Florida. For more information, contact Michele, Joan or Connie, (863)763-3117.
Upcoming Agri-Civic Center Events:
- Saturday 4/19/14 Pregnancy Center of Okeechobee Color Craze 5K Run/Walk for Life. Family friendly, fun filled activities, Music & dancing, & a kid’s zone. Registration starts at 8:30 AM, First Heat at 10:00 AM. For more information call 467-8748
- Friday 4/25 – 4/26 American Cancer Society Relay for Life 6:00 PM – 6:00 AM. Registration opens at 5:00PM. Join the American Cancer Society in the world’s largest movement to end cancer. Form a Relay for Life team and sign up online to start fundraising www.relayforlife.org/okeechobeefl
- Sunday 4/27/14 Kaza Productions Mexican Rodeo, Mexican Bands & food, more information to come.
If you’re a non-profit organization and have an upcoming event please send all of your information to 210 WN Park St. Suite 102, email it in at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax us at 1-888-875-1570. Thank you!