- 2010, Carrie Underwood performs her first concert at the historic Hollywood Bowl. Randy Travis is a surprise guest on “I Told You So,” and rock guitarist Orianthi joins Underwood on “Last Name”
- 1996, George Strait takes three trophies during the 30th annual Country Music Association awards, aired by CBS from the Grand Ole Opry House in Nashville. Strait takes Male Vocalist of the Year; Album, for “Blue Clear Sky”; and Single, for “Check Yes Or No”
- 1986, The Everly Brothers receive a star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame
- 1967, Singer-songwriter Gillian Welch is born in New York City. The earthy performer becomes an acclaimed member of the alternative country movement, appearing on the “Hope Floats” and “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” soundtracks
- 1954, Guitarist Greg Jennings is born in Nicoma Park, Oklahoma. He joins Restless Heart, playing on such smooth hits as “Why Does It Have To Be (Wrong Or Right),” “I’ll Still Be Loving You” and “Bluest Eyes In Texas.” He also plays on hits by Dan Seals, Rob Crosby and BlackHawk
via CMT : Country Music News : This Day in Country Music.