Okeechobee’s Upcoming Events 3-25-14
Please help us build our supply by donating during the month of March at any of the following drives.
Fri., March 27 – Wal Mart, 11 – 6
Sat., March 28 – Wal Mart, 11 – 6
Sun., March 29 – Wal Mart, 11 – 6
Mon., March 30 – Publix, 1 – 6
- Habitat for Humanity is now open here in Okeechobee! They’re located at 1321 HWY 70E in the Old Apple Crate building. Open Monday through Friday 9-5. Accepting donations of any kind except clothes! Call for more information at 863-763-1371, volunteers are always needed!
- K9 Resque is in need of volunteers for both the rescue and the pet food pantry, and we are also are looking for good loving foster homes for our dogs, if interested please call 863-824-5373
- A meeting of the “Stroke Support Group” will be held at the Heritage Assisted Living Facility on the 2nd Wednesday of every month at 6:00pm. This is a good chance to talk to others about their experience. Light refreshments will be available, for more information phone the Heritage at 863-763-1700 or 863-634-8412.
- The Chamber of Commerce will hold its monthly Evening Networking Social the “Business After Hours from 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM on Tuesday,March 24, 2015! This is an excellent opportunity to get to know your local business people and build lasting relationships in a professional environment. The host this month is The Lounge at Sacred Sanctuary.
- Quick job training in Okeechobee took a major step forward with the opening of the Multi-Functional Industrial Laboratory Center at the Dixon Hendry Campus. Members of the community are invited to tour the state-of-the-art facility and view students in action on Tuesday, March 24 from 4:30 to 6 p.m. The Open House marks a year since the IRSC District Board of Trustees approved $290,000 to create the modern 2,700 square-foot laboratory for new and expanded occupational programs. The Lab features flexible space that can be easily adapted to instruction in the trades, customized training for new industries and other opportunities to support workforce and economic development throughout the County.
- The friends of the Okeechobee Library will host A Book Sale! Thursday March 26-Saturday March 28 at the Okeechobee County Public Library located at 206 SW 16th St. For more information call: 863-763-3536 Sale hours are: Thu 9:30 am – 7:00 pm; Fri 9:30 am – 6:00 pm; Sat 9:30 am – 5:00 pm. Also don’t miss: Florida Author: Dottie Rexford Saturday, March 28th @ 2:00 P.M. Come meet Florida Author Dottie Rexford. She will be available for a group discussion and a book signing will follow the presentation. “Cora Pooler” won 1st place in the Self-Published Book Award Writer’s Digest Inspirational Category. Twenty years ago, Cora Pooler, a young Amish woman, abandoned a newborn child in the village of Wander Lane. Her deed was discovered and reported to the sheriff-and then to Bishop Herrfort. Because Cora was unwilling to repent and would not explain the circumstances of her actions, the uncompromising Herrfort placed her under the ban. An outcast in her community, she knew the shunning would continue until she obeyed the regulations of the Amish rule book. Cora left the Amish community to live in the English world. Older now, her head and heart are filled with the past. She needs answers. Cora Pooler returns to Wander Lane. Will she discover what happened to the baby she deserted? FREE to the public @ The Okeechobee County Library
- March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness month. Join Raulerson Hospital and guest speaker, Gastroenterologist Dr. Vikram Tarugu to learn about screenings, prevention and treatment at Dine with the Doctor on Tuesday, March 31st. Dinner is at 4:30 p.m. ($5) and the free lecture begins at 5:00 p.m. Please RSVP to 763-9228.
- Tickets are on sale to the 43rd annual Kiwanis Club of Okeechobee Easter Pancake Breakfast. Only $10 for all you can eat pancakes, home made sausage and fresh squeezed orange juice. Proceeds help The Kiwanis Club of Okeechobee fund scholarships for local students, mini-grants for our hard working local teachers and other projects that benefit the youth of Okeechobee. Get yours from any member or at the Chamber office. Easter is April 5th this year and you can enjoy the breakfast at either Cowboys Restaurant or First United Methodist Church Of Okeechobee from 7am-10am.
Sport Related Events
- Papa Johns is presenting their weekly fundraiser every Thursday when you order from Papa John’s they’ll donate 10% of your total order to the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band. Valid for carry out or delivery, you can also order online by using the PROMO CODE OCSD2014. Be sure to mention that you are a supporter of the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band when you are placing an order.
Agri-Civic Center Events
If you’re a non-profit organization and have an upcoming event please send all of your information to 210 WN Park St. Suite 102, email it in at email@example.com or fax us at 1-888-875-1570. Thank you!