Okeechobee’s Upcoming Events 8-27-15
- K9 Resque is in need of volunteers for both the rescue and the pet food pantry, and we are also are looking for good loving foster homes for our dogs, if interested please call 863-824-5373
- The Brahma Bull Restaurant & Lounge (2405 Hwy. 441 S.E.) will be hosting Texas Hold-em Tournaments beginning on each Tuesday. The games help to support the “Dogs and Cats Forever” no kill animal shelter in Pt. St. Lucie. Signin is at 7:00P.M. and games start promptly at 7:30P.M. Buy-in is $20.00. Bar Service and food is available for purchase. For more information, call Patty at 772-519-2263. Look forward to seeing you.
- Applications are now being accepted for the Labor Day Celebration being held on September 6 – September 7 from 10 – 3. Applications are available at the Main Street office or online at www.okeechobeemainstreet.org. If you are interested in participating in the parade Monday morning please contact Teresa Chandler Bishop at E: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 863-801-4996
- The Girl Scouts are coming, and we are looking to start new troops in Okeechobee! The Girl Scouts is a non-profit organization meant to encourage young girls ages 5-18, to be confident, courageous, and inspire moral character. We are looking to start troops of all levels and in all schools. However, to start a troop, we need YOU! We need our PARENTS and ADULTS to step up and volunteer to be the troop leaders! Help the Girl Scouts INSPIRE your children to be future leaders by being one yourself, today!
An informational session will be held Thursday, September 10th, from 5pm to 7pm at the Freshman Campus Cafeteria; Sunday, September 13th, from 2pm to 4pm at the Episcopal Church; Thursday, September17th from 5pm to 7pm at Chobee Skate n’ Bowl (the first 5 girls and adults to register as a member will be given a free bowling game); and Saturday, September 26th from 9am-11am at the Brown Cow Sweetery. These events are free to attend, but there is a fee associated with membership. Financial assistance is available to those who qualify. For more information please email Jessa Little at email@example.com.
- The Concealed Weapon Permit class will be conducted on Thursday evening September 17, 2015 beginning at 7 PM at the Chamber. The class will last approximately two hours. Range qualification will take place on Saturday September 19, 2015. You will be instructed where to meet on Saturday during the Thursday evening class. You may use your own weapon or you may use the weapon we provide you during qualification. The costs of the class is $40.00 which must be paid in advance. You may sign up by clicking on register online. You may pay for the class online with a credit card or stop by the Chamber and pay for the class with a check or cash. Those people who sign up and do not pay in advance will not be guaranteed a seat in the class.
- A “Shoot to kill” cancer charity shooting event will be held Saturday 9/12 at Ok Corral Gun Club 9449 NE 48th St. The tournament will be played in a fist person team format with four shooting events of various courses of fire. For information call: 561-440-4223.
- the next Tobacco Free Partnership of Okeechobee County luncheon which will be held on Wednesday September 16th at noon. The location of the meeting will be at The Thompson Fellowship Hall at the United Pentecostal Church, 405 SW 10th Ave. Okeechobee FL 34974. This meeting is open to all community partners and anyone interested in Tobacco Prevention. Please bring a friend, neighbor, co-worker or family member to the meeting with you. Tobacco is the #1 Preventable Death……Together We Can Create Change. Lunch will be provided. Please feel free to email or call (863-801-8277) me with any questions or comments. Otherwise I hope to see you on Wednesday September 16th at noon!
- Leadership Okeechobee is now accepting applications! The purpose of the Leadership Okeechobee Program is to cultivate leadership through education, exposure to the community, and interaction between class members. Our ultimate goal is to prepare students for a personal journey along the wonderful and rewarding path to community service. The following are our program objectives: To prepare future/potential leaders to meet the challenges ahead for Okeechobee. You will explore critical issues via a series of seminars and related activities. You will interact with key decision-makers, local leaders and representatives of local government to gain a better understanding of the forces which impact your community as a whole. The key to preserving and enhancing the quality of life is a well-informed citizen. The program begins in September and continues each month until graduation in May. Once accepted, a fee of $425 is required to cover meals, transportation and other program expenses. If you have any questions, please call the Chamber at (863) 467-6246
Sport Related Events
Football sign ups for the OCRA 2015 season will begin on Saturday August 8th from 9am to 3pm until the end of August. Flag for 6 years of age and under are $65, tackle 15 and under is $90. Cheerleading is $90, flag football for girls ages 7 to 18 is $70. Each division is drafted and will not sign any more players up. For more info call 863-801-0901
Agri-Civic Center Events
If you’re a non-profit organization and have an upcoming event please send all of your information to 210 WN Park St. Suite 102, email it in at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax us at 1-888-875-1570. Thank you!