True Country WOKC
WOKC Okeechobee Brahman High School Basketball Broadcast Schedule
Monday January 6th – DOUBLE HEADER Girls @ Lake Placid 6:00pm followed by Boys @ Lake Placid 7:30.
Wednesday January 22nd Girls vs. Glades Day 6:00pm
Friday January 24th Boys vs. Westwood 7:00pm
Charles Murphy News 12/10
News Cast for December 10th:
Among arrests, 26 year old Benjamin Dunnam faces multiple methamphetamine possession and sale charges. He allegedly sold methamphetamines in undercover narcotics task force operations during November on two occasions at a home on South East 33rd Terrace. Bond was 81 thousand dollars.
24 year old Charles Fox was charged with multiple charges related to methamphetamines and prescription pills. He was held on 111 thousand dollars bond. He allegedly sold the drugs in narcotics task force operations in December. A search of a residence on South East 33rd Terrace last Friday resulted in the seizure of Viagra, drug paraphernalia, and brass knuckles.
Okeechobee deputies investigating vandalism done to the Yearling middle school front gate over the weekend by a motorist. Some 25 hundred dollars in damage was done and the vehicle fled the scene.
A Center Street man was startled to find a naked man inside his bathroom on Sunday, the suspect fled holding clothing and was able to elude capture.
The State Fire Marshall is looking into a fire that dmaged the concession stand at Big Mound Park in Indiantown last Thursday morning, Martin County fire Rescue suspected an appliance caused the blaze.
Everglades Elementary principal Leslie Lundy says she is confident her school can improve their FCAT performance this year. The school improvement plan was recently approved by the school board. She has gotten more parents on campus through events this year and also thinks the extra hour of instruction ordered each day by the state, will pay dividends.
Sports Cast for December 10th:
Boys’ soccer improved to 7-0 with a 6-1 win over Lincoln Park last night. Wilson Barahona had the hat trick and an assist. He said the team is playing well. Angel Alvarez had two goals and Brian Guerrero one goal and two assists for the Brahmans.
Coach Lonnie Sears said the team could have beaten Lincoln Park even worse. Okeechobee will host a tough South Fork on Wednesday night.
Yearling girls’ basketball defeats Osceola in a tight, physical defensive battle 32-10 on Monday.
Coach Tammy Wright said her teams’ man to man defense dominated the play. Yearling jumped out to a 15-1 early advantage in the second quarter and never trailed after Osceola scored the first point of the game.
On the sports schedule today, girls basketball travels to John Carroll, girls’ soccer will host South Fork at 6 pm. Boys’ football will host their awards banquet tonight at 6 pm.
- The Better Breathers Class is a support group for people with COPD or other respiratory related issues. Better Breathers meet the first Wednesday of each month at 5:00 p.m. in Raulerson Hospital’s In-Service Classroom.
- Spanish will soon be the most common spoken language in the United States. Practice your skills, and see the world as OHS takes a group of high school students to Spain during Spring Break 2014. If you’re nervous about speaking Spanish, no worries. We’ll be traveling with a group and private tour guide as we explore Barcelona and Madrid. We’ll see famous sites like the Sagrada Familia, walk Las Ramblas, visit park Guell and Plaza Mayor,and visit the Prado museum,just to name a few. We’ll also see an authentic Flamenco show and participate in a Flamenco lesson. For many of us it’s a once in a life time opportunity! Don’t let it pass you by!! The trip will last a total of 8 days, which includes 2 days of travel to and from Spain. Call the high school with any questions 863-462-5025.
- School out for a holiday break or teacher plan day? Here is an opportunity for supervised childcare, ages K – age 13, full pay, reduced pay, and some financial assistance. For questions, please call the camp hotline at 863-484-0202. YMCA camp is located at Sacred Heart Catholic Church’s pavilion in Okeechobee.
- Come out to Ride for the Fight’s “Bulls & Ranch Bronc Riding” on Wednesday, January 1st beginning at 2pm. Adults are just $5 dollars and children 12 and under get in FREE! This event will be at the Okeechobee Cattlemen’s Arena, across from Raulerson Hospital on 441N. FFA and Jr. Cattlemen will be serving BBQ dinners. 100% OF THE PROCEEDS STAY HERE IN OKEECHOBEE! Sponsorship opportunities are available! If you’re interested in entering the event, please call 863-634-2066 from now until December 18th, but hurry because spots are filling up fast! For more event information on how to help, sponsor, or general info, call 863-634-3971! or go to rideforthefight.com
- Quarters for a Cause are helping Jeremiah Rhoden will have an auction on Tuesday, December 10th beginning at 6:30pm at the American Legion. Wear an ugly sweater and get a special ticket. They’ll have an auction so bring your quarters, they’ll also have food available. For more information call the American Legion.
- Okeechobee Christmas Tour of Homes will be this Friday, December 13th & Saturday, December 14th from 6:00-9:00pm. Join us and check out the wonderful decorations and yummy treats as well. All donations will benefit Heroes 4 Hope (cancer support group, the B.R.A.T Club, and Hospice of Okeechobee. Homes on the tour include Matthew P. Buxton, Heroes 4 Hope support center, Bobbi Poole, Susan Pilgrim, and Michelle Smith. Tickets are $15 dollars and are available at Buxton and Bass Okeechobee Funeral home, Hospice of Okeechobee, Bobbi Poole Photography, and Heavens Treasures.
- The Chamber of Commerce & Okeechobee Mainstreet would like to invite to you to join us Monday, December 16, 2013, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM (or whenever you can get away) for a Potluck Luncheon to be held at the Chamber of Commerce. Please bring a covered dish. (Please be sure to RSVP and let us know what you are bringing) Antoinette Chamber-Director 561-718-0536 Mariah@Chamber – (863) 467-6246.
- A new club is opening up in Okeechobee called the “Single Senior Club”, they’ll have their first dance on January 4th at Cowboy’s. You must pre-register by December 18th. Doors will open at 5:00pm for meals (not included) and the dance will start at 7:00pm. Music by Carl F. Cable will be provided and the dance is free with membership or $10 dollars at the door. This is a non-profit organization, for more information call Marie at 863-357-0676.
Sport Related Events
- A new football league is opening up here in Okeechobee called Okeechobee Wolverines Youth travel football and cheerleading. You can sign up for cheerleading for ages 4-15, they have practices Tuesdays and Thursdays at the softball fields across from Yearling from 6-7pm. Football signups will most likely begin in December, if you’re interested feel free to call them for more information. Any questions or comments call Alan or Leann at 863-697-0398!
*send all of your event information to Countrystore@wokc.com, fax: 1-888-875-1570, or stop by the station at 210 WN Park St. Suite 102 anytime between 9am and 4:30pm!