True Country WOKC
Thanks for listening to your choice for hometown country music!
Construction begins at main light.
SR 70 from NW/SW 4th Avenue to NE/SE 3rd Avenue: Construction project: This project improves the intersection at US 441. Crews are installing erosion control, clearing the right of way and beginning signal work. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures from Sunday, September 21, to Friday, September 26 from 8 p.m. to 4 a.m. while workers install barrier wall and temporary striping, weather permitting. Observe posted speed limits, look out for pedestrians and bicyclists, and drive with caution in the construction zone. During this project, crews will add turn lanes, widen and resurface the roadway, improve drainage, replace traffic signals and build curb, gutter, and sidewalk. Estimated completion is summer 2015. The contractor is Ranger Construction Industries, Inc.
Charles Murphy News 10/20
News Cast for October 20th:
Glades County is negotiating with positive medical transport to take over EMS services in northern Glades County and Buckhead Ridge. The company informally offered to do the service for 70 thousand dollars, Okeechobee County offered to do the service for 126 thousand dollars annually. Glades County will release Okeechobee from their mutual aid services when and if they can work out a deal with positive transport.
Dale Barrett retired after 44 years of service to the Okeechobee school board last week as director of operations. He had started as a physical education teacher and held many jobs including assistant principal. He praised his colleagues and staff over the years during his speech before the school board. Barrett said he is proud of the facilities his staff was able to oversee during the past 20 years including several new schools, like South Elementary, and Osceola Middle School.
In the courts, 20 year old Faith Kahn received two years drug offender probation and 7 months in jail for a January traffic stop by city police where 17 explosive devices, weapons, body armor, a sawed off shotgun and met amphetamines were allegedly found. Kahn pled no contest to possession of a short barreled shotgun. One of her codefendants, Michael Holmes, who was on parole at the time, received four years in prison.
Sports Cast for October 20th:
South Fork stunned Okeechobee by jumping out to a 33-0 lead in the first 15 minutes of the game and went on to rout the Brahmans 54-23 on Friday night. QB Stone Labanowitz completed 10 of 14 passes for 145 yards and two touchdowns to Brandon Greis and Walter Thomas. He added a rushing touchdown. Junior Green returned a punt 62 yards for a touchdown. Okeechobee was led by an 85 yard kick return for a touchdown by Bubba Fludd, a three yard touchdown by Lamar Williams and a four yard touchdown run by Juanyae Ford. Jarrett Mills added a 32 yard field goal.
Brahman Coach Chris Branham maintained his team was a bit stunned by the early deficit. Branham says there was no one area of the game that the Brahmans were able to be successful Friday. South Fork had 334 rushing yards in the game.
Lamar Williams led Okeechobee with 18 carries for 94 yards.
This week the Brahmans travel to Palm Bay Bayside for another district game.
Lots of video footage on our Facebook page!
FOR MORE NEWS CLICK ON THE LOCAL NEWS LINK!
- Habitat for Humanity is currently looking for someone to write grants for them. They are also looking for anyone who would like to donate furniture, household items, building supplies, etc. They have moved to the building 2 blocks west of W&W Lumber. For more information, stop by or call 863-634-1686.
- 4-H is starting back for the Klever K Nines. They’re looking forward to seeing lots of new and familiar faces this year. They have lot of new and exciting things coming up. If your child would like to join please contact Natalie Travers at 772 -919-5893. For those of you in the club last year the awards banquet is coming up fast, please get with me and the extension office to get your tickets.
- K9 Resque is in need of volunteers for both the rescue and the pet food pantry, and we are also are looking for good loving foster homes for our dogs, if interested please call 863-824-5373
- A meeting of the “Stroke Support Group” will be held at the Heritage Assisted Living Facility on the 2nd Wednesday of every month at 6:00pm. This is a good chance to talk to others about their experience. Light refreshments will be available, for more information phone the Heritage at 863-763-1700 or 863-634-8412.
- The Okeechobee Adventist Christian School is having their annual Apple Fundraiser. If you love fresh-picked, direct from the orchard apples, then these Michigan apples are for you! Please call Linda @ 863-610-0165 for details.
- The Gathering hosts “Joy in the Mourning” a grief support group and bible study for anyone who has lost a loved one. The event is every Tuesday at 2pm at the Gathering located at 1735 SW 24th Ave. For more info call Gale @ 863-623-8504.
- Buckhead Ridge VFW Post and Ladies Auxiliary will be hosting this Children’s Halloween Party on Saturday , October 25th from 2-4pm at their Post located at 29012 State Road 78 West. Costume prizes, Bobbing for Apples, Pumpkin decorating , Games, Food, Drinks and Treats. Bring your children out for this event. We support our local Community plus Veterans and Family. Any questions call the post at 467-2882
- TRUNK OR TREAT will be on Halloween this year, October 31st from 5pm to 10pm! This is a community wide even to offer a safe alternative to door to door trick or treating. Churches from around Okeechobee have been invited to participate as well as other non-profit organizations. Vehicles will be backed into parking spaces on the south side of the parks with their trunks decorated as booths for candy. Some will even have games to play! Along with candy, booths in the parks will have musical performances, puppet shows, popcorn and snow cones as well as a hay maze. This event is free to the community.
Sport Related Events
- Papa Johns is presenting their weekly fundraiser every Thursday when you order from Papa John’s they’ll donate 10% of your total order to the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band. Valid for carry out or delivery, you can also order online by using the PROMO CODE OCSD2014. Be sure to mention that you are a supporter of the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band when you are placing an order.
- Paddock Farms is “driving on” ! Learn how to drive your horse, racing, obstacles and more! Paddock Farms will be available every weekend after to teach you about how to drive your horse. Must be 18 years of age or older, all horses brought to the Paddock Farms must have a negative coggins test and you will be asked to sign a waiver. Not sure if your horse could race? You will have the option to have your horse evaluated. Don’t have a horse? No problem, they’ll provide them for you. No experience is necessary. No horse? No harness? No problem! Call Nancy at 863-634-1440 or 863-634-1438 for more information.
Agri-Civic Center Events
If you’re a non-profit organization and have an upcoming event please send all of your information to 210 WN Park St. Suite 102, email it in at email@example.com or fax us at 1-888-875-1570. Thank you!