True Country WOKC
Charles Murphy News 11/25
News Cast for November 25th:
Roger McWaters won the man of the year award in agriculture at the Farm City week luncheon last week, the OHS Agriculture teacher has worked 32 years getting many in our community educated about the agriculture community and how it works.
McWaters says good soil, varying climates and the best technology in the world help to make the United States the leader in agriculture. He said he has enjoyed his career teaching in Okeechobee. Brandon McKee was the guest speaker for the luncheon sponsored by the Kiwanis Club and Area Ag Council. He is the president of the Florida FFA this year.
Joe Arnold was re-elected as the chairman of the Okeechobee county school board at their reorganization meeting last week. Malissa Morgan was named Vice Chair. Arnold says he thinks the district is having a strong year with their main goals to improve test scores and student grades.
Among arrests, 31 year old David Sherrod was charged with fleeing and attempting to elude police, resisting arrest and reckless driving after a short chase with deputies in Douglas Park. Sherrod suffered minor injury when the vehicle left North East 9th Avenue and struck a storm drain. He fled on foot but was located nearby by a K-9 unit.
17th district congressman Tom Rooney will hold a round table meeting with members of the cattle industry in Okeechobee tomorrow morning at the Okeechobee Chamber of Commerce building.
Sports Cast for November 25th:
Savannah Houle had 16 points and Dakira Lawrence added 12 as Fort Pierce Central defeated Okeechobee 73-54 in girls’ basketball action last night. Okeechobee had four girls foul out in the game and the Lady Cobras shot 42 free throws in the first half alone. Taylor Trent had 22 points and Cheyenne Nunez added 19 points for Okeechobee. Cobras Coach Sophia Witherspoon says her team took what Okeechobee gave them at the charity stripe.
Okeechobee pulled to within 7 points twice in the fourth quarter but got no closer in the game as they fell to (1-6) on the season.
Moore Haven girls’ basketball defeated Hialeah Education Academy 49-2 Monday and lost to Marco Island 55-40 on Friday. The boys’ team defeated Hialeah Education Foundation 33-25 and lost to Marco Island 60-58.
Brahman boys’ soccer lost at South Fork last night 1-0.
On the sports schedule tonight, Brahman boy’s hoops host Martin County with JV at 5:30 and varsity at 7 pm.
Lots of video footage on our Facebook page!
FOR MORE NEWS CLICK ON THE LOCAL NEWS LINK!
Construction begins at main light.
SR 70 from NW/SW 4th Avenue to NE/SE 3rd Avenue: Construction project: This project improves the intersection at US 441. Crews are installing erosion control, clearing the right of way and beginning signal work. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures from Sunday, September 21, to Friday, September 26 from 8 p.m. to 4 a.m. while workers install barrier wall and temporary striping, weather permitting. Observe posted speed limits, look out for pedestrians and bicyclists, and drive with caution in the construction zone. During this project, crews will add turn lanes, widen and resurface the roadway, improve drainage, replace traffic signals and build curb, gutter, and sidewalk. Estimated completion is summer 2015. The contractor is Ranger Construction Industries, Inc.
- Habitat for Humanity is now open here in Okeechobee! They’re located at 1321 HWY 70E in the Old Apple Crate building. Open Monday through Friday 9-5. Accepting donations of any kind except clothes! Call for more information at 863-763-1371, volunteers are always needed!
- K9 Resque is in need of volunteers for both the rescue and the pet food pantry, and we are also are looking for good loving foster homes for our dogs, if interested please call 863-824-5373
- A meeting of the “Stroke Support Group” will be held at the Heritage Assisted Living Facility on the 2nd Wednesday of every month at 6:00pm. This is a good chance to talk to others about their experience. Light refreshments will be available, for more information phone the Heritage at 863-763-1700 or 863-634-8412.
- Bits and Spurs 4-H is looking for young riders ages 8 – 18 to join the Bits and Spurs Drill Team. We already have 3 shows to perform in beginning in January. Our group rides every Tuesday and Thursday night at My Sin Ranch from 6 – 8 pm, weather permitting. All levels of riders are welcome to come join our 4-H Club. This is a fun way to get some ride time on your horse and form great friendships with people who LOVE horses. Please call Laura for more information, 863-801-3599.
- The Humane Society and Pet Rescue of Okeechobee shelter will be closed to the public on Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and Sat this week. The next events are below, for more information call Brenda at the office 357-1104:
- Event November 28th Black Friday adoptathon at TIRES PLUS
- Event on Dec 2nd 4- 9 at Tin Fish Dining for Dogs, come have dinner at Tin Fish on Tuesday Dec 2nd to help raise funds for the Humane Society Pet Rescue 4 until 9. Just show up and have a meal, Tin Fish will donate on your behalf just for having dinner to support us. Our goal in to fill every table between the hours of 4 until 9.
- Event on Dec 3rd Family day at Wendy’s ( bring free tickets from the paper or pickup at our office or any event)
- Event Dec 6th YARD SALE at the shelter 8 am until we are done. We have so many wonderful donated things to offer for sale
- Event Dec 13th Christmas in the Park festival and parade, volunteer dog walkers and table greeters needed. We will been having two raffles available. 863 357-1104
- Dec 20 Get your car clean for the holidays, Car Wash at Tractor Supply 8am until we are done. Any donation accepted for a car wash
- Note to restaurant owners, if you would like to do a “Dining for Dogs” event please call our office to set it up. You can pick the day, time, place, and donation amount. Thank you, Belinda Forlifer 863 357-1104. Thank you to everyone who is helping to support our Humane Society Pet Rescue right here in Okeechobee 1203 Hwy 98N.
- The U.S. Marine Corps Toys for Tots began accepting toy request applications for families in need on Nov. 1. Applications will close at midnight on Nov. 30. No applications will be accepted after Nov. 30. All applications must be submitted online at the following address: http://okeechobee-fl.toysfortots.org. For more information on how to become a sponsor or drop off site for 2014 please contact Malissa Morgan at firstname.lastname@example.org or 863-634-5852.
- The Gathering hosts “Joy in the Mourning” a grief support group and bible study for anyone who has lost a loved one. The event is every Tuesday at 2pm at the Gathering located at 1735 SW 24th Ave. For more info call Gale @ 863-623-8504.
Sport Related Events
- Papa Johns is presenting their weekly fundraiser every Thursday when you order from Papa John’s they’ll donate 10% of your total order to the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band. Valid for carry out or delivery, you can also order online by using the PROMO CODE OCSD2014. Be sure to mention that you are a supporter of the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band when you are placing an order.
- Paddock Farms is “driving on” ! Learn how to drive your horse, racing, obstacles and more! Paddock Farms will be available every weekend after to teach you about how to drive your horse. Must be 18 years of age or older, all horses brought to the Paddock Farms must have a negative coggins test and you will be asked to sign a waiver. Not sure if your horse could race? You will have the option to have your horse evaluated. Don’t have a horse? No problem, they’ll provide them for you. No experience is necessary. No horse? No harness? No problem! Call Nancy at 863-634-1440 or 863-634-1438 for more information.
Agri-Civic Center Events
If you’re a non-profit organization and have an upcoming event please send all of your information to 210 WN Park St. Suite 102, email it in at email@example.com or fax us at 1-888-875-1570. Thank you!