True Country WOKC
Charles Murphy News 12/15
News Cast for December 15th:
Okeechobee city police investigating an armed robbery of the One Stop Food Store at 1212 North East Park Street that occurred last Thursday night. Cops say a black male entered the store, pointed a gun at the clerk and fled out the door with an unknown amount of cash and other store items. It’s believed the suspect was in a black 4 door Nissan Altima. Police were hopeful of an arrest in the case.
29 teachers received effective grades and two unsatisfactory at Moore Haven elementary school in their state evaluations. 24 teachers at Moore Haven Junior High were effective and one received unsatisfactory. All 33 teachers at the Our Way School Pemayetv Emahakv, received effective evaluations under state standards. Okeechobee school teacher evaluations were not included on the Florida Department of Education website.
Car crashes increased by nearly 25 percent in Okeechobee in 2 thousand 13 in the annual report from the Florida department of transportation. The number rose from 387 to 481. Fatal crashes also went up from 8 to 12. Injury crashes rose by 14 percent to 317. Glades County saw a near four percent decline in crashes with 146. There were 8 fatalities an increase of 200 percent,, and 74 injury crashes, a decrease of 35 percent.
Sports Cast for December 15th:
Boys’ basketball lost in double overtime to Fort Pierce Westwood 75-71 on Friday. Demetrius Clark had 20 points and Bubba Fludd added 19 points for OHS. Girls’ basketball fell 51-17 at Fort Pierce Central.
The Brahman wrestling team defeated Avon Park but lost to Lakeland at the Big Lake Wrestling Classic held Saturday.
Senior Jacob Dupree has taken on more responsibility on the team this year and wants to be a good example for his teammates. Dupree said he expects the team to reach or exceed the 10 wrestlers they sent to regional last year
On the sports schedule today, Lady Brahman soccer visits Moore Haven at 4 pm, girls’ basketball hosts Jensen Beach at 6 pm, Boys soccer visits Sebring with JV at 6 and varsity to follow.
Osceola basketball will host Sebastian River at 4:30 and 6 pm. Yearling basketball hosts Gifford at 4:30 and 5:45 pm
Lots of video footage on our Facebook page!
FOR MORE NEWS CLICK ON THE LOCAL NEWS LINK!
Construction begins at main light.
SR 70 from NW/SW 4th Avenue to NE/SE 3rd Avenue: Construction project: This project improves the intersection at US 441. Crews are installing erosion control, clearing the right of way and beginning signal work. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures from Sunday, September 21, to Friday, September 26 from 8 p.m. to 4 a.m. while workers install barrier wall and temporary striping, weather permitting. Observe posted speed limits, look out for pedestrians and bicyclists, and drive with caution in the construction zone. During this project, crews will add turn lanes, widen and resurface the roadway, improve drainage, replace traffic signals and build curb, gutter, and sidewalk. Estimated completion is summer 2015. The contractor is Ranger Construction Industries, Inc.
The holiday season is a ‘lean’ time for blood donations. We ask you to please remember those who need your life-saving contribution of blood by taking part in one of these drives:
Mon., Dec. 15 – Beall’s with VNA, 10 – 2
Tues., Dec. 23 – Okeechobee Correctional, 12 – 5
Tues., Dec. 23 – Raulerson Hospital, 1 – 6
Wed., Dec. 24 – Wal Mart, 10 – 2
Fri., Dec. 26 – Wal Mart, 11 – 4
Sat., Dec. 27 – Wal Mart, 11 – 4
Sun., Dec. 28 – Golden Corral, 11- 4
Mon., Dec. 29 – Publix, 12 – 6
Tues., Dec. 30 – Publix, 1 – 6
Tues., Dec. 30 – Wal Mart, 11 – 5
- Habitat for Humanity is now open here in Okeechobee! They’re located at 1321 HWY 70E in the Old Apple Crate building. Open Monday through Friday 9-5. Accepting donations of any kind except clothes! Call for more information at 863-763-1371, volunteers are always needed!
- K9 Resque is in need of volunteers for both the rescue and the pet food pantry, and we are also are looking for good loving foster homes for our dogs, if interested please call 863-824-5373
- A meeting of the “Stroke Support Group” will be held at the Heritage Assisted Living Facility on the 2nd Wednesday of every month at 6:00pm. This is a good chance to talk to others about their experience. Light refreshments will be available, for more information phone the Heritage at 863-763-1700 or 863-634-8412.
- Bits and Spurs 4-H is looking for young riders ages 8 – 18 to join the Bits and Spurs Drill Team. We already have 3 shows to perform in beginning in January. Our group rides every Tuesday and Thursday night at My Sin Ranch from 6 – 8 pm, weather permitting. All levels of riders are welcome to come join our 4-H Club. This is a fun way to get some ride time on your horse and form great friendships with people who LOVE horses. Please call Laura for more information, 863-801-3599.
- The Humane Society and Pet Rescue of Okeechobee shelter will be closed to the public on Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and Sat this week. The next events are below, for more information call Brenda at the office 357-1104:
- Dec 20 Get your car clean for the holidays, Car Wash at Tractor Supply 8am until we are done. Any donation accepted for a car wash
- Note to restaurant owners, if you would like to do a “Dining for Dogs” event please call our office to set it up. You can pick the day, time, place, and donation amount. Thank you, Belinda Forlifer 863 357-1104. Thank you to everyone who is helping to support our Humane Society Pet Rescue right here in Okeechobee 1203 Hwy 98N.
- The Gathering hosts “Joy in the Mourning” a grief support group and bible study for anyone who has lost a loved one. The event is every Tuesday at 2pm at the Gathering located at 1735 SW 24th Ave. For more info call Gale @ 863-623-8504.
- The Okeechobee Yatchette Club’s 31st Annual Christmas Boat Parade will be on Saturday, December 20th beginning at 6pm. Decorate our boat and meet us on the Taylor Creek by Burger King and HWY 70 bridge between 5-5:30pm. They go south on Taylor Creek and turn left to South VFW Post $10539. For more info on the event call Arnie @ 863-824-0681.
Sport Related Events
- Papa Johns is presenting their weekly fundraiser every Thursday when you order from Papa John’s they’ll donate 10% of your total order to the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band. Valid for carry out or delivery, you can also order online by using the PROMO CODE OCSD2014. Be sure to mention that you are a supporter of the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band when you are placing an order.
- Paddock Farms is “driving on” ! Learn how to drive your horse, racing, obstacles and more! Paddock Farms will be available every weekend after to teach you about how to drive your horse. Must be 18 years of age or older, all horses brought to the Paddock Farms must have a negative coggins test and you will be asked to sign a waiver. Not sure if your horse could race? You will have the option to have your horse evaluated. Don’t have a horse? No problem, they’ll provide them for you. No experience is necessary. No horse? No harness? No problem! Call Nancy at 863-634-1440 or 863-634-1438 for more information.
Agri-Civic Center Events
- On Thursday, December 18th they’ll have the AG center open for recreational riding for local residents from 6:30-9:30pm for $10 per rider and must have a current coggins certificate.
- On Friday, December 19th Turnin’ N Burnin’ Fall Buckle Series Jackpot Barrel Race, exhibition starts at 5pm, barrel race beginning at 7:30pm. A concession will be open, this is a free event.
- On Saturday, December 20th, Toys for Tots for distribution between 10am and 2pm. Preregistration is over as of November 30th, those who preregistered will have priority in the distribution.
If you’re a non-profit organization and have an upcoming event please send all of your information to 210 WN Park St. Suite 102, email it in at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax us at 1-888-875-1570. Thank you!