True Country WOKC
WOKC Okeechobee’s True Country OHS 2014 Baseball Broadcast Schedule
Friday March 7th – OHS @ South Fork 7pm
Friday March 14th – OHS vs Westwood 7:00pm
Saturday March 22nd OHS vs St. Albans Day 5pm
Tuesday March 25th – OHS vs. Sebring 7pm
Friday March 28th – OHS @ Avon Park 7pm
Thursday April 3rd – OHS vs Centennial * At Tradition Field in PSL 3pm
Tuesday April 8th – OHS @ Jensen Beach 7:00pm
Monday April 14th – OHS vs Martin County 7pm
Wednesday April 16th – OHS vs Lincoln Park Academy *At Tradition Field 3pm
Friday April 18th – OHS vs Arcadia – DeSoto
Charles Murphy News 3/7
News Cast for March 7th:
Among arrests, 33 year old Damiana Cruz was charged with possession of controlled substances and introduction of contraband into the county jail, allegedly trying to bring in pills as a jail inmate she hadn’t been prescribed including oxycodone.
26 year old Eric Exantus was charged with possession of a weapon by a convicted felon. He’s accused of threatening two people with a handgun on North East 13th Avenue.
42 year old William Hair was charged with delivery of met amphetamine, drug paraphernalia and driving on a suspended license after traffic stop by the Okeechobee narcotics task force on North West 9th Street at 441.
Martin county deputies have a homicide to investigate in Booker Park near Indiantown. 18 year old Dylan McKelvey’s body was found by workers near the fire station on Wednesday. They did not release the cause of death.
Two Hendry county deputies were placed on administrative leave after they shot and killed a Labelle man late Wednesday on E Road. Witnesses told WINK News that the victim was seen holding a shotgun and saying he wouldn’t go to jail. Deputies say they pointed two guns at him. FDLE in Sebring is investigating.
Speckled Perch weekend has arrived. This year the Cattlemen’s Rodeo is back at the historic arena on 441 north. Rodeo announcer Jerry Todd on the WOKC morning show with Billy Dean said the Okeechobee rodeo is similar to the National Finals Rodeo. This year’s specialty act is the one armed bandit John Payne.
In the courts, 54 year old Don White of Buckhead Ridge received 20 days in jail and 11 months’ probation for two counts of battery, four charges were dropped or reduced in the plea deal. White was accused of felony battery and strangulation of an 83 year old elderly woman on Hunter Road in October of 2011.
Sports Cast for March 7th:
Okeechobee softball star Carisa LiCata says despite a so-so start by the team, she still thinks they can win the district title this year. She said there are new players on the team who are starting to jell together. She notes the team is much more dependent on situational hitting and defense this year with little homerun power, but that in a way that can be an advantage. LiCata has received a college scholarship to play for Florida Gulf coast University.
Rain washed away all of the sports action last night.
On the sports schedule tonight, boys’ baseball will travel to South Fork at 7 pm
OHS softball will host Jensen Beach at 7 pm.
JV Baseball will host South Fork at 6 pm.
Gov. Scott: Cancer Treatment Centers of America® Selects Boca Raton as Site for New Corporate Headquarters
Governor Rick Scott Announces Historic Funding for Public Schools, State Colleges and State Universities in “It’s Your Money Tax Cut Budget”
Florida Man Arrested, Charged In New Jersey With Sale Of Deadly Toxin On Underground Online Marketplace
- The Better Breathers Class is a support group for people with COPD or other respiratory related issues. Better Breathers meet the first Wednesday of each month at 5:00 p.m. in Raulerson Hospital’s In-Service Classroom.
- A meeting of the “Stroke Support Group” will be held at the Heritage Assisted Living Facility on the 2nd Wednesday of every month at 6:00pm. This is a good chance to talk to others about their experience. Light refreshments will be available, for more information phone the Heritage at 863-763-1700 or 863-634-8412.
- School out for a holiday break or teacher plan day? Here is an opportunity for supervised childcare, ages K – age 13, full pay, reduced pay, and some financial assistance. For questions, please call the camp hotline at 863-484-0202. YMCA camp is located at Sacred Heart Catholic Church’s pavilion in Okeechobee.
- The Economic Opportunities Council of Indian River County is accepting applications for Northside Head Start and VPK. Children must have been born before September 2, 2010. Birth Certificate and social security number for the child applying and proof of family income is required. For more information call the Northside Head Start Office, 863-357-8677 for an appointment and additional information. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.
- “Joy in the Mourning” is a grief support group and bible study for anyone who has lost a loved one through death or divorce. All are welcome to attend; the support group will meet every Monday at 6pm and Tuesday at 2pm at the Gathering, 1735 SW 24th Ave. For more information contact Gale at 863-634-8504.
- Okeechobee Christian Academy (OCA) will be collecting Easter basket items such as; individually wrapped candy, snacks, toys, small stuffed animals, plastic eggs, books, crayons, puzzles, bubbles and hygiene products. Monetary donations will also be welcomed and will be used to purchase items that are needed. This year, our goal is to make 175 Easter baskets for children right here in Okeechobee County who may not otherwise receive a basket. The Waste Management and the B.R.A.T. Club have agreed to donate all of the baskets to get us started; now we need your help to fill them! Donations can be dropped off at American Drilling Services, The Brown Cow Sweetery, The 1-Stop Party Shop, The Pregnancy Center of Okeechobee, WOKC, The Okeechobee City Police Department, The Okeechobee County Sheriff’s Department, Wemmer Orthodontics, Everglades Pediatric Dentistry, Bank of America, Centerstate Bank, Seacoast National Bank, Suntrust Bank, TD Bank, Teez 2 Pleez and Okeechobee Christian Academy. During the week before Easter, the students at Okeechobee Christian Academy student body will assemble each basket. The finished baskets will be donated to Communities In Schools who will distribute the baskets to children in Okeechobee County. This is a great opportunity to share joy of Easter with then children in our community. Please call Sarah if you would like more information about donating (863) 634-2276. For more information on Communities In Schools, please call Jill at (863) 462-5125 Ext.128
- Library is hosting an open mic night on Thursday, March 6th at the Okeechobee County Library beginning at 5:30pm. Open Mic Night is for writers to read from their original work. All genres are welcome. Each reader gets 5 minutes, public is invited. For more info call Jan Day @ 863-357-9980.
Sport Related Events
- The Okeechobee Wrestling Club will be having sign ups on 6th at the OHS Gym. Practice starts March 4th, 6-7pm for Elementary School kids, 7-8pm for Middle and High School kids. The cost is $40 dollars per student, call Coach Jahner for questions at 863-634-9411.
- Cypress Hut Eagles #4509 is hosting a benefit golf tournament for Nellie Summerford. She’s been diagnosed with cystic fibrosis. The tournament will be at the Blue Heron golf course on Saturday, March 8th beginning at 8am with a shot gun start. $35 per player and $25 to sponsor a hole. Prizes will be award at the Cypress Hut Eagles #4509 following. The Calcutta will be at the Cypress Hut Eagles (4701 HWY 441SE) at 7pm on March 7th. For information call 863-467-1154.
- The Band Boosters of Okeechobee is hosting a Moonlight Madness golf extravaganza on Saturday, March 8th beginning at 6:30pm. A 9 hole event held entirely within the OHS campus, 1st glow in the dark ball provided with entry fee for each player. Hole sponsorships are available at $50 dollars. Entry fee is $10 dollars and check in is between 5:30-6:15. For additional info call 863-634-0194. All proceeds benefit the Band Boosters for Okeechobee County.