True Country WOKC
Zack Thomas Trivia Contest for Big Game Day Prize Packs-Big Game Day Party
Superbowl Sunday, Feb 1st, 2015 at Seminole Casino Brighton
“Don’t miss the Big Game Day Party on Superbowl Sunday, February 1st at Seminole Casino Brighton!
Study up on your Zach Thomas Trivia! You could win Big Game Day Prize Pack, to include a meet and greet with former NFL/Miami Dolphin Linebacker, Zach Thomas, plus free food for the winner and their guest at Seminole Casino Brighton during their Big Game Day Party on Superbowl Sunday.
Listen to WOKC’s Morning Show with Billy Dean for your chance to win a Big Game Day Party Prize Pack!
Each weekday, beginning Monday, January 26th through Friday, January 30th , Billy Dean will be asking trivia question about Zach Thomas with multiple choice answers. Example: “What college did Zach Thomas attend? A) Texas Christian University B) Texas A & M C) North Texas State D) Texas Tech University E) University of Texas”.
The first caller to 467-1570 and 467-1009 to correctly answer the Zach Thomas Trivia question wins…it’s just that easy!
Must be 18 or older to win, no purchase necessary. One winner per family.
Contest runs 1-26-15/1-30-15, 1 prize pack given away per day in morning drive, 7a-11a
From your favorite radio station, 100.9FM and AM 1570 WOKC, Okeechobee’s True Country!”
Seminole Casino Brighton has more ways to win, with high stakes bingo, the hottest slots and the friendliest high-limit poker!”
Charles Murphy News 1/23
News Cast for January 23rd:
In the courts, charges of lewd and lascivious exhibition were dropped against 24 year old Allen Broadwater after he filed a motion to dismiss key evidence in the case. City police say Broadwater was the subject of molestation claims as well as child pornography claims back in 2009 and 2010.
29 year old Joseph Sallette was sentenced to nearly nine months in the Okeechobee County jail for battery charges. A charge of lewd and lascivious molestation of a 7 year old girl was dropped in the case. It was alleged Sallette touched the child inappropriately.
Local congressman Tom Rooney is not sure this congress can get much done after President O’Bama’s state of the union address. Rooney says the president doesn’t care about the congress. He says he did not see any new initiatives mentioned in the State of the Union.
Okeechobee County Commissioners vacated an 80 acre portion of the Townsite of Deesa in the Viking property yesterday, and approved ad valorem tax exemptions for new and or existing businesses that are expanding, identical to ones voters renewed in November.
The man who burned down Ranchers restaurant near Kissimmee River estates is back in trouble, arrested for violation of probation in Highlands County.
23 year old Robert Marcum served 4 years for the fire but was on 10 years’ probation when he was arrested for drugs in Okeechobee County in 2013. He received 19 months for that incident. The restaurant burned to the ground in June, 2008, and the motive for the crime was never learned.
Sports Cast for January 23rd:
Boys basketball lost at home last night to Vero Beach 56-42 to fall to (5-16) on the season. Vero Beach improved to (14-5).
Senior Adam Simmons took home the Brahman Award for boys bowling this year. He was one of the most improved bowlers on the team. He thanked teammate Brian Chapman for helping him to improve. He said the award is something he’ll remember. Simmons intends to join the US Army after graduation.
On the sports schedule this weekend, Girls basketball tonight hosts Inlet Grove for their senior night game. Tip-off is at 6 pm.
Moore Haven girls’ and boys’ basketball host Everglades City tonight, it is the girls’ senior night. Girls tip at 5:30 and boys around 7 pm.
OHS boys’ basketball will host Immokalee Saturday night for three games, freshmen at 4, junior varsity at 5:30 and varsity tip around 7 pm.
Moore Haven boys’ hoops will host Jensen Beach Saturday with JV at 11:30 and varsity at 1 pm.
FOR MORE NEWS CLICK ON THE LOCAL NEWS LINK!
- Habitat for Humanity is now open here in Okeechobee! They’re located at 1321 HWY 70E in the Old Apple Crate building. Open Monday through Friday 9-5. Accepting donations of any kind except clothes! Call for more information at 863-763-1371, volunteers are always needed!
- K9 Resque is in need of volunteers for both the rescue and the pet food pantry, and we are also are looking for good loving foster homes for our dogs, if interested please call 863-824-5373
- Bits and Spurs 4-H is looking for young riders ages 8 – 18 to join the Bits and Spurs Drill Team. We already have 3 shows to perform in beginning in January. Our group rides every Tuesday and Thursday night at My Sin Ranch from 6 – 8 pm, weather permitting. All levels of riders are welcome to come join our 4-H Club. This is a fun way to get some ride time on your horse and form great friendships with people who LOVE horses. Please call Laura for more information, 863-801-3599.
- The Gathering hosts “Joy in the Mourning” a grief support group and bible study for anyone who has lost a loved one. The event is every Tuesday at 2pm at the Gathering located at 1735 SW 24th Ave. For more info call Gale @ 863-623-8504.
- The Ribbon Run will be on February 21st at the Okeechobee County Agri-Civic Center. This run is for ALL RIBBONS! All money will go toward assisting those in need in our area. This is a timed 5K that will provide you the opportunity to run or walk wearing the ribbon you support. For Okeechobee is a non-profit organization where every dollar raised stays here in Okeechobee. For more info go to www.ForOkeechobee.org or look for them on Facebook!
- MARK YOUR CALENDARS…..We have such a GREAT turn out last year we are doing it again!!!! If you love to shop, you don’t want to miss the Cupid’s Corner holiday shopping event on Saturday February 7, 2015 at the Holiday Inn Express. There will be a Personal Shopper available to assist those who are not sure what to get that special person. Looking for vendors please contact Antoinette @ the Chamber of Commerce 863-467-6246 or cell phone 561-718-0536. Sign up to be a vendor today! Mail your info to 55 S Parrott Ave. Okeechobee FL, 34974
Sport Related Events
- Papa Johns is presenting their weekly fundraiser every Thursday when you order from Papa John’s they’ll donate 10% of your total order to the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band. Valid for carry out or delivery, you can also order online by using the PROMO CODE OCSD2014. Be sure to mention that you are a supporter of the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band when you are placing an order.
- Paddock Farms is “driving on” ! Learn how to drive your horse, racing, obstacles and more! Paddock Farms will be available every weekend after to teach you about how to drive your horse. Must be 18 years of age or older, all horses brought to the Paddock Farms must have a negative coggins test and you will be asked to sign a waiver. Not sure if your horse could race? You will have the option to have your horse evaluated. Don’t have a horse? No problem, they’ll provide them for you. No experience is necessary. No horse? No harness? No problem! Call Nancy at 863-634-1440 or 863-634-1438 for more information.
Agri-Civic Center Events
If you’re a non-profit organization and have an upcoming event please send all of your information to 210 WN Park St. Suite 102, email it in at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax us at 1-888-875-1570. Thank you!