True Country WOKC
Thanks for listening to your choice for hometown country music!
Sports Schedule for the week of September 2nd:
OHS bowling hosts Fort Pierce Central 3:30 pm
OHS volleyball at Vero Beach 6:30 pm
Moore Haven volleyball at Sebring 7:30 pm
OHS girls golf vs South Fork 3:30 pm
OHS swimming vs Treasure Coast and South Fork at Sailfish in Stuart
OHS girls golf Martin County/Fort Pierce Central 3:30 KOA
OHS bowling at Sebring 3:30 pm
JV football hosts Martin County 6 pm.
Boys golf at Westwood 3:30 pm
Cross Country team Under the Lights Invite in Stuart 6 pm
OHS football at Sebring 7 pm
Moore Haven football at Lake Placid 7 pm
OYFL at Sebring 9 am.
Charles Murphy News 9/2
News Cast for September 2nd:
Golgotha Ministries was the subject of a recent presentation before the Kiwanis Club in Okeechobee. Morgan Lumpkin says participants in the program is for recovering addicts to drug an alcohol and is centered on Jesus Christ. He said the participants are expected to work hard in the program. The program is young but has high hopes of treating those with drug and alcohol addictions.
The Okeechobee school board found that former Union President Tom Bonasera violated 8 different policies after a employment termination hearing last week, he was accused of giving a fellow teacher prescription pain pills Tramadol in exchange for her nude photographs last February.
Bonasera says it was mostly a joke and that he wasn’t giving the teacher enough pills to cause her to have an addiction. The Board found Bonasera committed an immoral act, committed misconduct in office and brought disgrace upon the teaching profession. They could move to fire him at their September board meeting next week.
A 29 year old motorcyclist was killed Monday evening when he ran the stop sign at the intersection of 68 east and 441 north, struck a wooden fence, and was ejected. Troopers say Reece Lopez was westbound when the crash occurred.
Florida s Cowtown Rodeo
Okeechobee, Fla., Aug. 31-Sept. 1
All-around cowboy: (tie) Juan Alcazar Jr, steer wrestling and team roping, and Corey Fussell, saddle bronc riding, tie-down roping and team roping, $808 each.
Bareback riding: First round: 1. Colt Kitaif, 70 points on Silver Spurs Club’s Cher, $226; 2. Shelton Murphy, 68, $169; 3. Chris Smith, 66, $113; no other qualified rides. Second round: 1. Colt Kitaif, 79 points on Silver Spurs Club’s Ned Ross, $226; 2. Jon Luse, 73, $169; 3. Blade Elliott, 69, $113; no other qualified rides. Average: 1. Colt Kitaif, 149 points on two head, $226; 2. Jon Luse, 73, $169; 3. Blade Elliott, 69, $113; 4. Shelton Murphy, 68, $56.
Steer wrestling: 1. Juan Alcazar Jr, 3.4 seconds, $808; 2. Erin Bullin, 4.5, $606; 3. Leo Mobley, 5.0, $404; 4. Payton Caudill, 5.1, $202.
Team roping: 1. Bradley Massey/Shane Hester, 6.2 seconds, $1,034 each; 2. Dillon Bird/Mark Strickland, 7.3, $776; 3. Zeb Chapman/Tom Bourne, 8.1, $517; 4. Allen Ulrici/Jordon Ulrici, 9.1, $259.
Saddle bronc riding: First round: 1. Andrew Harris, 77 points on Silver Spurs Club’s Frog, $248; 2. Cole Bilbro, 73, $186; 3. Joe Farren, 69, $124; 4. Whit Ashe, 62, $62. Second round: 1. Justin Caylor, 79 points on Silver Spurs Club’s Frog, $248; 2. Cole Bilbro, 69, $186; 3. Joe Farren, 63, $124; 4. Whit Ashe, 56, $62. Average: 1. Cole Bilbro, 142 points on two head, $248; 2. Justin Caylor, 140, $186; 3. Joe Farren, 132, $124; 4. Whit Ashe, 118, $62.
Tie-down roping: 1. Corey Fussell, 9.4 seconds, $808; 2. Ben Mayworth, 9.6, $606; 3. Lane Bateman, 9.7, $404; 4. (tie) Brad Hartt and Seth Rodriguez, 11.6, $101 each.
Barrel racing: 1. Jodi Jansen, 16.09 seconds, $848; 2. Brittney Willis, 16.12, $737; 3. Megan Swint, 16.16, $626; 4. (tie) Tracy Bishop and Shawna Bourne, 16.20, $461 each; 6. Amanda Amos, 16.22, $295; 7. (tie) Deb Brannon and Teal Hampton, 16.29, $129 each.
Bull riding: 1. Alencar Anderson, 69 points on Silver Spurs Club’s Wham-o, $775; 2. Wagner Luciano, 64, $581; 3. Michael Riggs Jr., 52, $387; no other qualified rides.
Total payoff: $19,596. Stock contractor: Silver Spurs Club. Sub-contractor: Five Star Rodeo.
Sports Cast for September 2nd:
A defensive battle filled with penalties Friday as Okeechobee fell to Glades Day 6-0 to open the regular season.
Cory Surls 8 yard touchdown pass in the final minute to Tight End Christopher Guerry was the only score of the game. A 37 yard drive was set up by a blocked punt by the Gators. Okeechobee was held to 150 yards in offense and had over 1 hundred yards in penalties.
Brahman Coach Chris Branham placed the blame at the lack of serious preparation this week as his kids got too high after a big win over Lake Placid. Antawyn Fludd had 60 yards rushing on six carries to lead Okeechobee. Daniel Duncanson ran for 72 yards to lead Glades Day.
Brahman QB Brandon Shockley said he felt the team should have practiced harder last week. This week Okeechobee will travel to Sebring to take on the Blue Streak.
Moore Haven lost at Dade Christian 37-0.
On the schedule today, Moore Haven volleyball visits Sebring, bowling hosts Fort Pierce this afternoon at 3:30 pm, girls volleyball visits Vero Beach.
FMA joins other medical groups in opposition to Amendment 2 Florida physicians strongly reject marijuana question
USF Researchers to Announce Significant Development in DNA Testing/Identification Effort at Dozier School for Boys
FOR MORE NEWS CLICK ON THE LOCAL NEWS LINK!
Blood Drives for September:
- Sat., Sept. 6 – Blood donation earns an entry for NASCAR tickets at Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge Dealerships, 10 – 3
- Thurs., Sept. 11 – TD Bank, 11 – 4
- Sun., Sept. 14 – Golden Corral, 11 – 4
- Tues., Sept. 16 – Okeechobee High School, 7:30 – 2:30
- Sun., Sept. 21 – Hair Cuttery by Publix. Benefit blood drive for J. Bailey Hedrick, 15, who is fighting Hodgkins Lymphoma at DiMaggio Childrens Hospital.
- Thurs., Sept. 25 – IRSC Campus, 3 – 8
- Sat., Sun., Sept. 27, 28 – Wal Mart, 11 – 4
- K9 Resque is in need of volunteers for both the rescue and the pet food pantry, and we are also are looking for good loving foster homes for our dogs, if interested please call 863-824-5373
- A meeting of the “Stroke Support Group” will be held at the Heritage Assisted Living Facility on the 2nd Wednesday of every month at 6:00pm. This is a good chance to talk to others about their experience. Light refreshments will be available, for more information phone the Heritage at 863-763-1700 or 863-634-8412.
- The Gathering hosts “Joy in the Mourning” a grief support group and bibile study for anyone who has lost a loved one. The event is every Tuesday at 2pm at the Gathering located at 1735 SW 24th Ave. For more info call Gale @ 863-623-8504.
- In conjunction with the beginning of school, the annual September Prayer Walk, sponsored by the Okeechobee Ministerial Association, will begin next Tuesday, September 2nd, at the front steps of the Freshman Campus at 6pm. For years, every Tuesday evening during the month of September, community members have met for about an hour to pray for our schools. Everyone is invited to attend and participants walk as much as they are able. We drive to the various schools and pray for everyone involved with that school. Come and join fellow Christians in this unique community event as we pray (while we still can!) for a successful school year for our children, teachers, parents, support and resource staff, volunteers and administrative personnel of all the schools in Okeechobee. Call Sandy Perry at 634-7714 should you have any questions.
- The 5th-Sunday community-wide service, sponsored by the Okeechobee Ministerial Association (OMA), will be Sunday, September 7th, at 6 pm at the Okeechobee Presbyterian Church, located at 312 N Parrott Ave on US 441 N. (The date has been pushed forward one week due to the holiday week-end). Lowell & Sally Senitz, Directors and Founders of Wings of Shelter International, Inc., will both be speaking about their ministry and preaching. A love offering will also be taken for their ministry. Members of the Ministerial Association will also be participating in the service. The Okeechobee Community Choir will be singing. Come, hear the word of the Lord preached and enjoy the fellowship this unique, small-town community-wide service provides. Ministers are invited to join the OMA on the 2nd Wednesday of every month at noon at Golden Corral for devotion, fellowship and a time to pray for the needs of our community.
- Our next Tobacco Free Partnership of Okeechobee County meeting will be held on Tuesday September 9th at noon. At the Thompson Fellowship Hall at the United Pentecostal Church, 405 SW 10th Ave. This meeting is open to current Partnership members and anyone interested in Tobacco Prevention in Okeechobee County. Please bring a friend, neighbor, co-worker or family member to the meeting with you. Lunch will be provided. Please feel free to email or call (863-801-8277) Courtney Moyett with any questions or comments.
- Come one, come all, for a fun afternoon of “Pickin’ N Grinnin” at the North Eagles,Hwy 441 N. on Sept 13, 2014, beginning at 1:00 PM. Come on out all you local guys and gals and show your stuff! A great BBQ dinner will be available for a $5.00 donation. The yard sale will be in the AM beginning at 9:00 AM. Call 863-763-2552 with any questions.
- Okeechobee Rehabilitation Center is hosting a HUGE garage sale on Saturday, September 20th from 8am to 3pm! They’ll have lots of different items for you to choose from! If you’re looking to donate ANY ITEMS please call 863-697-0018 or 863-610-0515, no matter what they’ll come and pick it up if you can’t deliver!
Sport Related Events
- Papa Johns is presenting their weekly fundraiser every Thursday when you order from Papa John’s they’ll donate 10% of your total order to the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band. Valid for carry out or delivery, you can also order online by using the PROMO CODE OCSD2014. Be sure to mention that you are a supporter of the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band when you are placing an order.
- Paddock Farms is “driving on” ! Learn how to drive your horse, racing, obstacles and more! Paddock Farms will be available every weekend after to teach you about how to drive your horse. Must be 18 years of age or older, all horses brought to the Paddock Farms must have a negative coggins test and you will be asked to sign a waiver. Not sure if your horse could race? You will have the option to have your horse evaluated. Don’t have a horse? No problem, they’ll provide them for you. No experience is necessary. No horse? No harness? No problem! Call Nancy at 863-634-1440 or 863-634-1438 for more information.
- Okeechobee residents are participating in the American Heart Association’s 2014 Palm Beach Heart Walk on Sep 27, 2014. By joining our team, you can! If not; please consider a donation♡ Register online at: http://s.heartwalk.org/T5JNcW Together, we can make a difference. You don’t have to join alone. Please feel free to forward this email to anyone else who may want to raise funds and make a difference in our community. Thank you, in advance, for your participation.
Agri-Civic Center Events
- Tuesday 9/2/14, Recreational Riding, 6:00 – 9:30 PM, $10.00 per rider, and you MUST show a current negative coggins test
- Friday 9/5/14, Turnin’ N Burnin’ Summer Buckle Series Jackpot Barrel Race. Exhibition runs start at 5:00 PM. Barrel Race starts at 7:30 PM. A concession stand will be open. There is no charge for the public to attend
- Saturday 9/6/14, Turnin’ N Burnin’ Jackpot Barrel Race & Speed Show. Exhibition runs start at 3:00 PM. Barrel Race starts at 5:00 PM, Speed Show follows the barrel race. A concession stand will be open. There is no charge for the public to attend
- Wednesday 9/10/14, Circus Pages. THE CIRCUS IS COMING TO OKEECHOBEE!! Performing two shows on Wednesday September 10th 4:00 PM & 7:00 PM. White Lions, Tigers, Elephants, Camels, Ponies, Aerial and Juggling acts, Clowns, and The Globe of Death, Elephant rides, Pony rides, and Camel rides. Circus Pages is proud to uphold the continued tradition of wholesome family entertainment that has linked generation after generation of Americans together with a smile!
- Saturday 9/13/14, Okeechobee High School Cross Country Team Fundraiser. 8:00 AM Run or walk to support the OHS Cross Country team. For more information contact Coach A.J. Mayernik at 412-225-7258 or ask any Brahman cross country team member
- Thursday 9/18/14, Recreational riding/barrel practice night 6:00 – 9:30 PM $10.00 per rider, and you MUST show a current negative coggins test
- Friday 9/19/14, Turnin’ N Burnin’ Fall Classic Barrel Race, Through Friday: Exhibition runs start at 5:00 PM, Barrel Race at 7:30
- Sunday 9/21/14, Saturday & Sunday:Exhibition runs start at 8:00 AM, Barrel Race at 11:00 AM. A concession stand will be open. There is no charge for the public to attend
- Friday 9/26/14, Miss Rodeo Florida Horsemanship Competition, 8:30 AM, Miss Rodeo Florida Pageant is open to Florida girls wishing to promote the great sport of Rodeo. Queens attend rodeos, parades, community events and speak to schools educating others about the sport of rodeo. Miss Rodeo Florida will represent our state at the Miss Rodeo America Pageant in Las Vegas, NevadaFriday 9/26/14-9/28/14 Martha Josey Barrel Racing & Horsemanship Clinic, Through a weekend of barrel racing and pole bending instruction given by experienced riders and instructors. Perfect for beginners or experienced riders. Learn how to start your new prospect or put more confidence and snappy turns in your finished horse.