True Country WOKC
Charles Murphy News 11/19
News Cast for November 19th:
A local man continues to recuperate at Lawnwood Regional Medical Center after being struck by a car last week. City police say 71 year old David Hamilton was struck by a north bound Ford truck driven by Iyana Smith of Douglas Park. No citations were issued.
A reward was increased to 1 thousand dollars for the person who stabbed a Tennessee walking horse mare in a pasture in Okeechobee on August 22nd or early August 23rd. The horse owner Patti Lee says there have been no arrests in the case and she hopes the reward might spur some leads in the case.
She said the horse has been recovering physically but will have lifelong scars. More information on the attack can be found at Net Posse.com and on Facebook
Okeechobee deputies looking for some vandals that hit two homes in the Viking Prairie. One home on North West 2 hundred and 84th street was shot up when the vandals stole a 12 gauge shotgun, and shot out windows, into the walls, ceiling, home furnishings and the air conditioning unit. The second home on North West 280th Street saw about 10 thousand dollars in damages to the carpet and walls.
Retired Judge Bill Hendry gave the oath of office to newly elected Okeechobee school board members Jill Holcomb and Dixie Ball last night. Joe Arnold was also sworn in for a fourth term on the board. Michael Muros was honored for having a perfect score on FCAT 10th grade reading. Osceola math teacher took home the quarterly Golden Mouse Award for use of technology in the classroom.
On the roads, an 18 year old Port St. Lucie girl was killed on 441N near Yeehaw Junction Monday. The highway patrol says Sierra Rasmussen lost control in a 2003 Dodge pickup while north bound on 441 and left the road striking a tree. She was not wearing a seat belt.
Sports Cast for November 19th:
Immokalee jumped out to an 11 point lead after the first quarter and defeated Okeechobee 62-55 last night in boy’s hoops action. Demetrius Clark had 15 points and Bubba Fludd added 12 points for the Brahmans. Osceola girls’ hoops opened with a 36-16 home defeat to Oslo last night. Judele Root led the Lady Warriors with 8 points in the contest.
Brahman soccer goal keeper Fernando Perez says he doesn’t mind having to pull more of the load this year as the defense and goal keeping will have to keep the team in matches.
Monday they battled Jensen Beach to a scoreless tie.
Perez says he feels it’s his job to stop shots. Perez predicts the team will return to regional play this year. He said as a senior it’s his role to pick up and encourage his teammates
On the sports schedule today, Lady Brahman basketball will host Fort Pierce Westwood with JV at 5:30 and varsity at 7 pm.
Girls’ soccer will host Westwood at 5 pm.
Lots of video footage on our Facebook page!
FOR MORE NEWS CLICK ON THE LOCAL NEWS LINK!
Construction begins at main light.
SR 70 from NW/SW 4th Avenue to NE/SE 3rd Avenue: Construction project: This project improves the intersection at US 441. Crews are installing erosion control, clearing the right of way and beginning signal work. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures from Sunday, September 21, to Friday, September 26 from 8 p.m. to 4 a.m. while workers install barrier wall and temporary striping, weather permitting. Observe posted speed limits, look out for pedestrians and bicyclists, and drive with caution in the construction zone. During this project, crews will add turn lanes, widen and resurface the roadway, improve drainage, replace traffic signals and build curb, gutter, and sidewalk. Estimated completion is summer 2015. The contractor is Ranger Construction Industries, Inc.
- Habitat for Humanity is currently looking for someone to write grants for them. They are also looking for anyone who would like to donate furniture, household items, building supplies, etc. They have moved to the building 2 blocks west of W&W Lumber. For more information, stop by or call 863-634-1686.
- K9 Resque is in need of volunteers for both the rescue and the pet food pantry, and we are also are looking for good loving foster homes for our dogs, if interested please call 863-824-5373
- A meeting of the “Stroke Support Group” will be held at the Heritage Assisted Living Facility on the 2nd Wednesday of every month at 6:00pm. This is a good chance to talk to others about their experience. Light refreshments will be available, for more information phone the Heritage at 863-763-1700 or 863-634-8412.
- Bits and Spurs 4-H is looking for young riders ages 8 – 18 to join the Bits and Spurs Drill Team. We already have 3 shows to perform in beginning in January. Our group rides every Tuesday and Thursday night at My Sin Ranch from 6 – 8 pm, weather permitting. All levels of riders are welcome to come join our 4-H Club. This is a fun way to get some ride time on your horse and form great friendships with people who LOVE horses. Please call Laura for more information, 863-801-3599.
- The U.S. Marine Corps Toys for Tots began accepting toy request applications for families in need on Nov. 1. Applications will close at midnight on Nov. 30. No applications will be accepted after Nov. 30. All applications must be submitted online at the following address: http://okeechobee-fl.toysfortots.org. For more information on how to become a sponsor or drop off site for 2014 please contact Malissa Morgan at email@example.com or 863-634-5852.
- The Gathering hosts “Joy in the Mourning” a grief support group and bible study for anyone who has lost a loved one. The event is every Tuesday at 2pm at the Gathering located at 1735 SW 24th Ave. For more info call Gale @ 863-623-8504.
- The Heartland Volkswagen Club will sponsor a Meet and Greet at Lake Placid American Legion Post #25, 1490 U.S. 27, Lake Placid, FL 33852, Saturday, November 22, 2014, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. The public is cordially invited to attend and bring your Volkswagen if you have one. Vintage Volkswagens will be on display, club members will be present to answer questions about the club and Volkswagens, and complimentary finger foods will be served. Drinks will be available at the Legion bar. The purpose of the Meet and Greet is to bring together Volkswagen owners, wannabe owners, and lovers of Volkswagens. Membership applications and a split the pot drawing will also be available. For additional information, contact Dennis Anderson, (863) 763-6069, or Jim Dalke (863) 381-1799.
Sport Related Events
- Papa Johns is presenting their weekly fundraiser every Thursday when you order from Papa John’s they’ll donate 10% of your total order to the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band. Valid for carry out or delivery, you can also order online by using the PROMO CODE OCSD2014. Be sure to mention that you are a supporter of the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band when you are placing an order.
- Paddock Farms is “driving on” ! Learn how to drive your horse, racing, obstacles and more! Paddock Farms will be available every weekend after to teach you about how to drive your horse. Must be 18 years of age or older, all horses brought to the Paddock Farms must have a negative coggins test and you will be asked to sign a waiver. Not sure if your horse could race? You will have the option to have your horse evaluated. Don’t have a horse? No problem, they’ll provide them for you. No experience is necessary. No horse? No harness? No problem! Call Nancy at 863-634-1440 or 863-634-1438 for more information.
- The Lake Okeechobee Elks Lodge #2871 2631 SE 33rd St will be sponsoring a non profit Hoop shoot for all children between the ages of 8 & 13. No cost to the participants. The event will be held at Osceola Middle School. For more information contact James DuPre 863-623-5161 or 315-778-7407 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Agri-Civic Center Events
Thursday 11/20/14 Recreational riding for local residents 6:30 – 9:30 PM $10.00 per rider, and you MUST have a current coggins certificate
Friday 11/21/14 Turnin’ N Burnin’ Fall Buckle Series Jackpot Barrel Race. Exhibition runs start at 5:00 PM. Barrel Race starts at 7:30 PM. A concession stand will be open. There is no charge for the public to attend
Saturday 11/22/14 Turnin’ N Burnin’ Jackpot Barrel Race & Speed Show. Exhibition runs start at 3:00 PM. Barrel Race starts at 5:00 PM, Speed Show follows the barrel race. A concession stand will be open. There is no charge for the public to attend
If you’re a non-profit organization and have an upcoming event please send all of your information to 210 WN Park St. Suite 102, email it in at email@example.com or fax us at 1-888-875-1570. Thank you!