True Country WOKC
Supply lists for the 2016-20176 school year —->> http://okee.k12.fl.us/2016-2017-supply-lists
News Cast for July 21st:
The Okeechobee City Council held their July meeting Tuesday night with a large agenda. A few of the noteworthy items on the agenda were the rezoning of the north west addition at 1000 NW 7th Court from Holding to Industrial. That rezoning was requested by Jeremy LaRue of Total Roadside Services on behalf of property owners Dennis and Linda May Wilson. The motion was approved by the Council.
The Council voted in favor of allowing OUA to withdraw themselves from the City Pension plan with the intention of creating their own pension plan. Until now both City employees and OUA employees shared the same plan.
The Council also voted in favor of beginning the process of funding 25% of the fire department budget through fire assessment and made clear by doing this, their intention was to lower the millage by the same percentage in order to offset the assessment.
Members of the County Centennials spoke to the Kiwanis Club of Okeechobee last Thursday at their weekly meeting. Jennifer Busbin and Shari Turgeon have been working with a committee to celebrate the County’s Centennial in 2017 and not duplicate much of the City Centennial which Okeechobee celebrated in 2015. The Centennial will have a kickoff event in January and a County birthday party and formal in December, but Busbin says throughout the year and activity called Amazing Okeechobee will be a highlight. Local businesses and citizens can still participate in the centennial planning by contacting Sharie Turgeon and the Tourist Development Council at 763-9353
Okeechobee’s Upcoming Events 7-15-16
- K9 Resque is in need of volunteers for both the rescue and the pet food pantry, and we are also are looking for good loving foster homes for our dogs, if interested please call 863-824-5373
- The Oasis Lounge at the Okeechobee Shrine Club has again opened their doors and we look forward to serving your favorite beverages while you spend a little time winding down the week. Invite your friends and neighbors to meet you for a quick get together or spend some time and enjoy catching up from a busy week. The Oasis Lounge offers an intimate and friendly setting to relax and unwind every Friday and Saturday evening from 5pm to 10pm. The Lounge is always open to the public except during times of private leases of the Club. For information contact Kip Gardner at (863)357-0427 or the Okeechobee Shrine Club at (863)763-3378
- Membership! Are you a Main Street member whom has not paid their dues for the 2015-2016 year? Are you not yet a Main Street member? It is easy to become a part of an organization that is dedicated to the Okeechobee community! Visit Main Street at 55 S Parrott Ave or at www.okeechobeemainstreet.org
- The next Main Street Mixer will be Thursday, August 11, 2016 at Silver Palms Resort located at 4143 Highway 441 S from 5-7pm. Mixers are a great time to network with others in our community, hear what is going on with Okeechobee Main Street, as well as other community organizations. Light refreshments are provided and you can enter into our 50/50 drawing that will take place at our December mixer. Monthly mixers are open to the public.
- Join us for “Submerged” July 18 – 22 at Northside Baptist Church, from 6:00-8:30 PM. This summer, take your kids on an adventure like no other, deep within the mysterious sea. As kids submerge themselves in God’s Word, they will discover that Jesus didn’t just see what’s on the outside of people. He looked deep down on the inside. So grab your goggles, step into your flippers, and dive in to find truth below the surface! Call: 863-763-3584 for more information
- Are you a good Beach Ball Blaster? Come out and show us your skills!!! At the Summer Silly Games Bring the family out for some fun in the sun!!! at Church of Our Saviour, 200 NW 3rd Street (behind Tin Fish Restaurant) July 23, 2016, 9 AM – 3 PM Registration is now on an individual basis $5 per person (ages 4 & up) Prizes will be awarded to the winner of each division. Visit our website for the list of games and more information churchofoursaviourokeechobee.org Questions, call Melisa Jahner 863-634-8844
Sport Related Events
Agri-Civic Center Events
If you’re a non-profit organization and have an upcoming event please send all of your information to 210 WN Park St. Suite 102, email it in at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax us at 1-888-875-1570. Thank you!