True Country WOKC
Thank you for listening to WOKC Okeechobee’s True Country!
Charles Murphy News 8/19
News Cast for August 19th:
Among arrests, 51 year old Frank Zimmerman of Yeehaw Junction was charged with child abuse allegedly punching, and pulling the hair of a minor child during a disagreement. Osceola County deputies made the arrest.
29 year old Dustin Werk was charged with burglary to a vehicle and grand theft allegedly stealing a tool kit worth about 6 hundred and 50 dollars from his employer on North West 7th Street.
24 year old Dazma Washington was charged with child abuse allegedly leaving a 7 year old child at home with three younger children so she could attend a party. City police say the child called 911.
24 year old Reba Bailey was charged with battery on a county jail inmate allegedly punching a female at the jail on Sunday night.
The Department of Children and Families created a new website designed to better protect Florida’s children. Spokesperson Alexis Lambert says it should encourage communities to work together to meet the needs of struggling families. She noted there are three main causes of death among Florida children. Okeechobee had one drowning and one suspicious of a death of a child so far this year.
In the courts, 42 year old Juan Mata was sentenced to five years in prison on charges of burglary to a vehicle, resisting arrest and possession of cocaine. He allegedly accosted a female driver in the parking lot of a local business last Christmas Day because she wouldn’t drive him to Douglas Park, causing 15 hundred in damage. 44 grams of spice was seized after a foot chase with police.
Sports Cast for August 19th:
OHS volleyball should field another strong team this year with a strong group of veterans and two freshmen that should contribute right away.
Coach Taylor Pritchard said they have also gotten deeper into volleyball instruction and strategies this year after a full season under their belt. Pritchard also plans to have a more wide open attack than last year on offense. She noted in the first year they focused on the defensive side of the game. Jensen Beach will once again be the main competition in the district this year.
Key players for Okeechobee include Lexi Ward, Baylee Farless, Makayla Root, Cheyenne Nunez and freshmen Rachel Bryan.
Tonight the team will hold a purple white scrimmage at 7 pm.
OHS alumnus will be in action in fundraiser volleyball game tonight at 6 pm. Donations will be accepted.
FMA joins other medical groups in opposition to Amendment 2 Florida physicians strongly reject marijuana question
USF Researchers to Announce Significant Development in DNA Testing/Identification Effort at Dozier School for Boys
FOR MORE NEWS CLICK ON THE LOCAL NEWS LINK!
- A meeting of the “Stroke Support Group” will be held at the Heritage Assisted Living Facility on the 2nd Wednesday of every month at 6:00pm. This is a good chance to talk to others about their experience. Light refreshments will be available, for more information phone the Heritage at 863-763-1700 or 863-634-8412.
- The Gathering hosts “Joy in the Mourning” a grief support group and bibile study for anyone who has lost a loved one. The event is every Tuesday at 2pm at the Gathering located at 1735 SW 24th Ave. For more info call Gale @ 863-623-8504.
Sport Related Events
- OCRA Fall Baseball/Softball sign ups will be held on Saturday, August 23rd at the Sports Complex. The cost is $50 dollars per child and they have to be between 5-14
(girls) & 5-13 (boys) by May 1st. Looking for sponsors and coaches as well. For more info call Mickey @ 863-634-0515 or 863-234-8024.
- OCRA will be hosting Football/Cheerleading sign ups on August 23rd at the Sports Complex from 10am to 3pm. Any child between ages 5-12 are welcome to sign up. The cost is $80 for football and $60 for cheerleading. Please bring a copy of the child’s birth certificate.
- Papa Johns is presenting their weekly fundraiser every Thursday when you order from Papa John’s they’ll donate 10% of your total order to the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band. Valid for carry out or delivery, you can also order online by using the PROMO CODE OCSD2014. Be sure to mention that you are a supporter of the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band when you are placing an order.
- Paddock Farms is “driving on” ! Learn how to drive your horse, racing, obstacles and more! Paddock Farms will be available every weekend after to teach you about how to drive your horse. Must be 18 years of age or older, all horses brought to the Paddock Farms must have a negative coggins test and you will be asked to sign a waiver. Not sure if your horse could race? You will have the option to have your horse evaluated. Don’t have a horse? No problem, they’ll provide them for you. No experience is necessary. No horse? No harness? No problem! Call Nancy at 863-634-1440 or 863-634-1438 for more information.
Agri-Civic Center Events
- Recreational Riding/Barrel practice night on Thursday, August 21st from 6:00-9:30pm for $10 per rider and must show negative coggins test.
- Friday, August 22nd is Turnin’ N Burnin’ Summer Buckle series Jackpot Barrel Race, exhibition runs beginning at 5pm, barrel race at 7pm, concession will be open and there is no charge for the public to attend.
- Sunday, August 31st Kaza Productions presents the Mexican Rodeo with music and food from 1:00pm to 8:00pm.