True Country WOKC
Zack Thomas Trivia Contest for Big Game Day Prize Packs-Big Game Day Party
Sunday, Feb 1st, 2015 at Seminole Casino Brighton
“Don’t miss the Big Game Day Party on Sunday, February 1st at Seminole Casino Brighton!
Study up on your Zach Thomas Trivia! You could win Big Game Day Prize Pack, to include a meet and greet with former NFL/Miami Dolphin Linebacker, Zach Thomas, plus free food for the winner and their guest at Seminole Casino Brighton during their Big Game Day Party on Sunday.
Listen to WOKC’s Morning Show with Billy Dean for your chance to win a Big Game Day Party Prize Pack!
Each weekday, beginning Monday, January 26th through Friday, January 30th , Billy Dean will be asking trivia question about Zach Thomas with multiple choice answers. Example: “What college did Zach Thomas attend? A) Texas Christian University B) Texas A & M C) North Texas State D) Texas Tech University E) University of Texas”.
The first caller to 467-1570 and 467-1009 to correctly answer the Zach Thomas Trivia question wins…it’s just that easy!
Must be 18 or older to win, no purchase necessary. One winner per family.
Contest runs 1-26-15/1-30-15, 1 prize pack given away per day in morning drive, 7a-11a
From your favorite radio station, 100.9FM and AM 1570 WOKC, Okeechobee’s True Country!”
Seminole Casino Brighton has more ways to win, with high stakes bingo, the hottest slots and the friendliest high-limit poker!”
Charles Murphy News 1/28
News Cast for January 28th:
Okeechobee schools are considering a policy to be completely tobacco free. There are designated areas at schools where teachers and staff can smoke during the day and also at sporting events for the general public. Superintendent Ken Kenworthy says the Health Department asked the board to consider the policy and he will be developing one in the next few months.
Three West Palm Beach residents were overcome by carbon monoxide poisoning in a vehicle in Treasure Island Monday night and had to be treated at Raulerson Hospital. Deputies say a bad seal on the left cargo door of the 2 thousand 2 Mazda Mini Van leaked the poison gas into the vehicle. One of the children passed out and was unresponsive.
Governor Rick Scott proposed to spend 5 billion over 20 years to restore the everglades. 150 million will be included in his proposed budget for this year. It’ll be the state’s share of the Kissimmee River restoration, and construction of two large reservoirs around Lake Okeechobee that’ll provide 1 hundred billion gallons of water storage to protect the estuaries.
Among arrests, 30 year old Lemmie Prescott was charged with pulling a knife after a resident complained about his alleged speeding down North West 30th Terrace.
44 year old Sara Harrison was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after allegedly pointing a 30-30 rifle at her paramour after an alleged domestic incident.
Testimony and a statement from the man on trial, Jose Fonseca Hernandez highlighted the first day of his attempted murder trial Tuesday. The victim Ellie Fonseca was attacked in her home with a machete on March 23rd of last year. Hernandez said he meant to scare her and claimed he didn’t realize she was hurt so badly. Prosecutors alleged Hernandez was motivated by jealousy because Fonseca had found a new boyfriend, a black male.
Sports Cast for January 28th:
Another overtime game and another heartbreaking loss for the Brahman boys’ basketball team last night. They lose at home to Clewiston 51-47.
Sharrod Hope had 17 points for the Tigers. Demetrius Clark had 13 points and Roshell Thomas added 10 points for Okeechobee. Hope was a big factor inside with 8 points in the fourth quarter. He said Clewiston has had a good season and wanted to get a victory in Okeechobee. Okeechobee had defeated Clewiston earlier this month in Clewiston. Former Brahman Tyrell Taylor says he expected a tough battle and he got it from his former teammates
Brahman Coach Demetre Riles his team made some costly mistakes including a turnover in regulation when they held a one point lead.
On the sports schedule tonight, Okeechobee wrestling hosts Sebastian River at 6 pm
Girls’ basketball plays South Fork at Fort Pierce Westwood at 4:30 in the district tournament today.
FOR MORE NEWS CLICK ON THE LOCAL NEWS LINK!
- Habitat for Humanity is now open here in Okeechobee! They’re located at 1321 HWY 70E in the Old Apple Crate building. Open Monday through Friday 9-5. Accepting donations of any kind except clothes! Call for more information at 863-763-1371, volunteers are always needed!
- K9 Resque is in need of volunteers for both the rescue and the pet food pantry, and we are also are looking for good loving foster homes for our dogs, if interested please call 863-824-5373
- Bits and Spurs 4-H is looking for young riders ages 8 – 18 to join the Bits and Spurs Drill Team. We already have 3 shows to perform in beginning in January. Our group rides every Tuesday and Thursday night at My Sin Ranch from 6 – 8 pm, weather permitting. All levels of riders are welcome to come join our 4-H Club. This is a fun way to get some ride time on your horse and form great friendships with people who LOVE horses. Please call Laura for more information, 863-801-3599.
- The Gathering hosts “Joy in the Mourning” a grief support group and bible study for anyone who has lost a loved one. The event is every Tuesday at 2pm at the Gathering located at 1735 SW 24th Ave. For more info call Gale @ 863-623-8504.
- The Ribbon Run will be on February 21st at the Okeechobee County Agri-Civic Center. This run is for ALL RIBBONS! All money will go toward assisting those in need in our area. This is a timed 5K that will provide you the opportunity to run or walk wearing the ribbon you support. For Okeechobee is a non-profit organization where every dollar raised stays here in Okeechobee. For more info go to www.ForOkeechobee.org or look for them on Facebook!
- MARK YOUR CALENDARS…..We have such a GREAT turn out last year we are doing it again!!!! If you love to shop, you don’t want to miss the Cupid’s Corner holiday shopping event on Saturday February 7, 2015 at the Holiday Inn Express. There will be a Personal Shopper available to assist those who are not sure what to get that special person. Looking for vendors please contact Antoinette @ the Chamber of Commerce 863-467-6246 or cell phone 561-718-0536. Sign up to be a vendor today! Mail your info to 55 S Parrott Ave. Okeechobee FL, 34974
Sport Related Events
- Papa Johns is presenting their weekly fundraiser every Thursday when you order from Papa John’s they’ll donate 10% of your total order to the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band. Valid for carry out or delivery, you can also order online by using the PROMO CODE OCSD2014. Be sure to mention that you are a supporter of the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band when you are placing an order.
- Paddock Farms is “driving on” ! Learn how to drive your horse, racing, obstacles and more! Paddock Farms will be available every weekend after to teach you about how to drive your horse. Must be 18 years of age or older, all horses brought to the Paddock Farms must have a negative coggins test and you will be asked to sign a waiver. Not sure if your horse could race? You will have the option to have your horse evaluated. Don’t have a horse? No problem, they’ll provide them for you. No experience is necessary. No horse? No harness? No problem! Call Nancy at 863-634-1440 or 863-634-1438 for more information.