True Country WOKC
Ken Keller News 6/24:
Budget Workshop meetings went into their third day for the Okeechobee Board of Commissioners. Department heads from the Sherriff’s office, Public Works, Road Maintenance and more presented preliminary budgets for the 2015-2016 year as way to fine tune their department before the County Commissioners submit their overall County budget. A portion of the Sheriff Department’s presentation dealt with increasing insurance and retirement costs for staff along with adjustments to tenured staff salaries. Under Sheriff Noel Stephen on why the adjustments are necessary. Sheriff Paul May went into further detail, saying this is a way to keep tenured officers on staff.
The Board of County Commissioners have their June regular session on Thursday beginning at 9am. An agenda can be found on the County Website.
Please help us build our supply by donating during the month of July at any of the following drives:
Wed., July 1 – Publix, 12 – 6
Thurs., July 2 – Publix, 1 – 6
Fri., July 3 – Wal Mart, 2 – 7
Sat., July 4 – “The Fourth at Okee Tantie”, 3:30 – 8:30
Tues., July 7 – Publix, 2 – 7
Fri., July10 – Wal Mart, 11 – 5
Sat., Sun., July 11, 12 – Wal Mart, 11 – 4
Mon., July 13 – Wal Mart, 1 – 6
Tues., July 14 – Raulerson Hospital, 1 – 7
Thurs., July 16 – SFWMD, Hwy 70 – 1 – 5
Fri., July 17 – Harbor Community Bank, 1 – 6
Sun., July 19 – Golden Corral, 11 – 4
Thurs., July 23 – Publix, 1 – 6
Sat., July 25 – Wal Mart, 11 – 5
Sun., July 26 – Wal Mart, 11 – 5
- Habitat for Humanity is now open here in Okeechobee! They’re located at 1321 HWY 70E in the Old Apple Crate building. Open Monday through Friday 9-5. Accepting donations of any kind except clothes! Call for more information at 863-763-1371, volunteers are always needed!
- K9 Resque is in need of volunteers for both the rescue and the pet food pantry, and we are also are looking for good loving foster homes for our dogs, if interested please call 863-824-5373
- The Brahma Bull Restaurant & Lounge (2405 Hwy. 441 S.E.) will be hosting Texas Hold-em Tournaments beginning on each Tuesday. The games help to support the “Dogs and Cats Forever” no kill animal shelter in Pt. St. Lucie. Signin is at 7:00P.M. and games start promptly at 7:30P.M. Buy-in is $20.00. Bar Service and food is available for purchase. For more information, call Patty at 772-519-2263. Look forward to seeing you.
- Okeechobee County Library invites you to join their all ages summer reading program “Be a Hero – Read”. The program runs Wednesday, July 1st through Wednesday, July 29th at 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. The adult and teen program is open at any time! Come by and read at the Okeechobee County Library! On August 1st, see if you won the tablet! Call or stop by for details. 863-763-3536 and ask to speak to Kellie!
- Leadership Okeechobee is now accepting applications! The purpose of the Leadership Okeechobee Program is to cultivate leadership through education, exposure to the community, and interaction between class members. Our ultimate goal is to prepare students for a personal journey along the wonderful and rewarding path to community service. The following are our program objectives: To prepare future/potential leaders to meet the challenges ahead for Okeechobee. You will explore critical issues via a series of seminars and related activities. You will interact with key decision-makers, local leaders and representatives of local government to gain a better understanding of the forces which impact your community as a whole. The key to preserving and enhancing the quality of life is a well-informed citizen. The program begins in September and continues each month until graduation in May. Once accepted, a fee of $425 is required to cover meals, transportation and other program expenses. If you have any questions, please call the Chamber at (863) 467-6246
Sport Related Events
Agri-Civic Center Events
If you’re a non-profit organization and have an upcoming event please send all of your information to 210 WN Park St. Suite 102, email it in at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax us at 1-888-875-1570. Thank you!