True Country WOKC
Thanks for listening to your choice for hometown country music!
Sports Schedule for the week of September 15th:
Tuesday, September 16
- YMS volleyball and soccer at Oslo 4:30 pm
- Osceola volleyball and soccer hosts Gifford 4:30 pm
- OHS bowling hosts South Fork at 3:30 pm
- OHS swimming hosts Lake Placid 5:30 pm
- Boys golf at PSL and Westwood at Fairwinds Country club 3:30 pm
- OHS volleyball at South Fork 6 pm
Wednesday, September 17
- Moore Haven volleyball at Clewiston 7 pm
- YMS hosts Brighton for volleyball 4:30 pm
- Girls golf at John Carroll at St. James Country Club 3:30 pm
Thursday, September 18
- YMS volleyball and soccer at Gifford 4:30 pm
- OHS bowling at Port St. Lucie St. Lucie Lanes 3:30 pm
- OHS JV football hosts Jensen Beach at 6 pm
- Boys golf at Port St. Lucie at the Saints Country Club 3:30 pm
Friday, September 19
- Osceola volleyball and soccer at Storm Grove 4:30 pm
- OHS football at Fort Pierce Westwood 7 pm
- Boys golf at John Carroll and Jensen Beach at Sailfish Point 3:30 pm
- Moore Haven Terriers at Trinity Catholic 7 pm
- OHS volleyball at East Coast Challenge at Martin County (Saturday too)
Saturday, September 20
- OYFL home games with Four Corners Bucs 9 am
- OHS cross country at Cobra Country XC Invite in Boca Raton
Charles Murphy News 9/16
News Cast for September 16th:
Among arrests, 25 year old Cory Jenkins was charged with borrowing and then selling a riding mower worth 5 hundred dollars from a residence in Kissimmee River Estates. Highlands County deputies arrest him on charges of grand theft and dealing in stolen property.
An Okeechobee grand jury indicted three suspects on charges related to the murder of William Curry from July. Facing charges are 25 year old Travis Spencer and 22 year old Terrance Spivey, who face four felony crimes including first degree murder with a firearm, and 39 year old Latisha McBride, charged with two counts of accessory after the fact, allegedly driving the injured men to the hospital in Sebring. Authorities say drugs and money were the motive for the crime.
39 year old Victoriano Martin Rosa was charged with leaving the scene of an accident causing property damage after an alleged road rage incident on North West 46th Avenue. Two drivers had words and Rosa allegedly struck the rear of the other vehicle. He was also charged with driving without a license.
32 year old Jamie Wilson was charged with grand theft auto for allegedly stealing a homemade swamp buggy worth 5 hundred dollars and trading it for another vehicle. Deputies recovered the stolen buggy.
In the courts, charges of child rape were dropped against 51 year old Jimmy Hallett. He had been accused of assaulting a child between the ages of 7 and 11 over several years. The charges were dropped by the State Attorney two months after being filed.
34 year old Aurelio Torres received 23 months in jail time served for child abuse. Charges of sexual battery on a child under 12 were dropped. He allegedly assaulted a three year old child at a local dairy in 2012.
Sports Cast for September 16th:
Elijah Finney was named the Defense MVP for the Brahman baseball team this past season. Finney played solid defense at short stop and also when he pitched for the district champions.
He said he worked hard to get this award. Finney takes over as the undisputed ace of the staff this coming year. He said he had a solid sophomore season and hopes that carries over this year. Osceola middle school soccer opened their season with a 6-0 victory over Oslo in a rain delayed match last Thursday. Alejandro Bucio had two goals.
Yearling volleyball defeated Sebastian 25-9 and 25-11 to improve to 2-0 on the season.
OYFL teams won two out of five games versus Winter Haven on Saturday. The Pee Wee won 44-0 and the Mitey Mites prevailed 20-6. The seniors lost 26-16, the flag 28-0 and the juniors 19-12.
On the sports schedule today, Yearling volleyball and soccer visit Oslo at 4:30. Osceola volleyball and soccer host Gifford at 4:30 pm. OHS bowlers host South Fork at 3:30 pm. OHS swimmers host Lake Placid at 5:30 pm. Boys’ golf meets Port St. Lucie and Westwood at a tri match at Fairwinds Country Club at 3:30 pm. OHS volleyball visits South Fork at 6 pm.
FMA joins other medical groups in opposition to Amendment 2 Florida physicians strongly reject marijuana question
USF Researchers to Announce Significant Development in DNA Testing/Identification Effort at Dozier School for Boys
FOR MORE NEWS CLICK ON THE LOCAL NEWS LINK!
Blood Drives for September:
- Tues., Sept. 16 – Okeechobee High School, 7:30 – 2:30
- Sun., Sept. 21 – Hair Cuttery by Publix. Benefit blood drive for J. Bailey Hedrick, 15, who is fighting Hodgkins Lymphoma at DiMaggio Childrens Hospital.
- Thurs., Sept. 25 – IRSC Campus, 3 – 8
- Sat., Sun., Sept. 27, 28 – Wal Mart, 11 – 4
- K9 Resque is in need of volunteers for both the rescue and the pet food pantry, and we are also are looking for good loving foster homes for our dogs, if interested please call 863-824-5373
- A meeting of the “Stroke Support Group” will be held at the Heritage Assisted Living Facility on the 2nd Wednesday of every month at 6:00pm. This is a good chance to talk to others about their experience. Light refreshments will be available, for more information phone the Heritage at 863-763-1700 or 863-634-8412.
- The Gathering hosts “Joy in the Mourning” a grief support group and bibile study for anyone who has lost a loved one. The event is every Tuesday at 2pm at the Gathering located at 1735 SW 24th Ave. For more info call Gale @ 863-623-8504.
- Okeechobee Rehabilitation Center is hosting a HUGE garage sale on Saturday, September 20th from 8am to 3pm! They’ll have lots of different items for you to choose from! If you’re looking to donate ANY ITEMS please call 863-697-0018 or 863-610-0515, no matter what they’ll come and pick it up if you can’t deliver!
- The Trust Quartet will be in concert on Saturday, September 20th beginning at 7pm at the Seventh Day Adventist Church located at 412 NW 6th St in Okeechobee. Trust is a southern gospel music quartet and ministry consisting of Buzz Beasley, Spence Decker, Rhonda Mohr, Steve Faison, and returning artists Parm Bailey.
- Bits and Spurs 4 -H is going to have their first meeting at 10:30 am, on Saturday, Sept. 20, 2014, (Rain or Shine) Anyone interested in horses and riding should come by to find out what Bits and Spurs 4-H is all about. Meet Mike and Laura at MySin Ranch, 1000 NW 50th Dr. to help organize our activities for this year. We plan to run flags at the rodeos, practice drill team maneuvers for parades and have a great time with our horses and friends. Drinks and Snacks will be provided. Bring your horse if you like (neg coggins required), because that is what we are all about! Please add to the announcement: for additional information please call Laura 8638013599
- The Okeechobee Educational Foundation invites you to attend the annual “Achieving Excellence” luncheon buffet. This is our opportunity to thank donors for their generosity and share the good works that are happening in the community because of the donations. I hope you have RSVP’d for the luncheon, if not, don’t delay….we would like to save a place for you. We hope you will join us on Wednesday, September 24, 12:00, at the Methodist Church fellowship hall.
- On September 28th 2014, we will host a Law Enforcement Appreciation Day here at the church. We welcome Maj. (Ret) Marvin Pittman as our guest speaker. Major Pittman is the Senior Chaplain of the Polk County Sheriff’s office Chaplaincy Corp. He is also the current president of the Florida Baptist State Board of Missions. This will be a service geared for our law enforcement community, there will be a special gift for all law enforcement personnel. The service will be immediately followed with a church picnic for all in attendance. Sunday School will start at 9:45 am, our Worship Service will begin at 10:45 am.
- Dine with the Doctor, Sepsis is Serious! Raulerson Hospital Cafeteria on Tuesday, September 30th Dinner: 4:30 p.m. ($5) Lecture: 5:00 p.m. (free) to RSVP: 763-9228
Sport Related Events
- Papa Johns is presenting their weekly fundraiser every Thursday when you order from Papa John’s they’ll donate 10% of your total order to the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band. Valid for carry out or delivery, you can also order online by using the PROMO CODE OCSD2014. Be sure to mention that you are a supporter of the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band when you are placing an order.
- The Concealed Weapon Permit class will be conducted on Thursday evening September 18, 2014 beginning at 7 PM at the Chamber. The class will last approximately two hours. Range qualification will take place on Saturday September 20, 2014. You will be instructed where to meet on Saturday during the Thursday evening class. You may use your own weapon or you may use the weapon we provide you during qualification. The costs of the class is $40.00 which must be paid in advance. You may sign up by clicking on register online. You may pay for the class online with a credit card or stop by the Chamber and pay for the class with a check or cash. Those people who sign up and do not pay in advance will not be guaranteed a seat in the class.
- Paddock Farms is “driving on” ! Learn how to drive your horse, racing, obstacles and more! Paddock Farms will be available every weekend after to teach you about how to drive your horse. Must be 18 years of age or older, all horses brought to the Paddock Farms must have a negative coggins test and you will be asked to sign a waiver. Not sure if your horse could race? You will have the option to have your horse evaluated. Don’t have a horse? No problem, they’ll provide them for you. No experience is necessary. No horse? No harness? No problem! Call Nancy at 863-634-1440 or 863-634-1438 for more information.
- OHS Boys Soccer Cornhole Tournament Fundraiser on Saturday, September 27th, 2 Man Teams, $25 Per Player, at the Yearling Middle School Gymnasium at 9am. Call Lonnie Sears for details 863-634-1334
- Okeechobee residents are participating in the American Heart Association’s 2014 Palm Beach Heart Walk on Sep 27, 2014. By joining our team, you can! If not; please consider a donation♡ Register online at: http://s.heartwalk.org/T5JNcW Together, we can make a difference. You don’t have to join alone. Please feel free to forward this email to anyone else who may want to raise funds and make a difference in our community. Thank you, in advance, for your participation.
Agri-Civic Center Events
- Thursday 9/18/14, Recreational riding/barrel practice night 6:00 – 9:30 PM $10.00 per rider, and you MUST show a current negative coggins test
- Friday 9/19/14, Turnin’ N Burnin’ Fall Classic Barrel Race, Through Friday: Exhibition runs start at 5:00 PM, Barrel Race at 7:30
- Sunday 9/21/14, Saturday & Sunday:Exhibition runs start at 8:00 AM, Barrel Race at 11:00 AM. A concession stand will be open. There is no charge for the public to attend
- Friday 9/26/14, Miss Rodeo Florida Horsemanship Competition, 8:30 AM, Miss Rodeo Florida Pageant is open to Florida girls wishing to promote the great sport of Rodeo. Queens attend rodeos, parades, community events and speak to schools educating others about the sport of rodeo. Miss Rodeo Florida will represent our state at the Miss Rodeo America Pageant in Las Vegas, NevadaFriday 9/26/14-9/28/14 Martha Josey Barrel Racing & Horsemanship Clinic, Through a weekend of barrel racing and pole bending instruction given by experienced riders and instructors. Perfect for beginners or experienced riders. Learn how to start your new prospect or put more confidence and snappy turns in your finished horse.
If you’re a non-profit organization and have an upcoming event please send all of your information to 210 WN Park St. Suite 102, email it in at email@example.com or fax us at 1-888-875-1570. Thank you!