True Country WOKC
Videos of local sports and news are on our Facebook page “WOKC Okeechobee’s True Country”!
News Cast for October 6th:
A 62 year old Indiantown man, William Kerr was killed Sunday night after a motorcycle accident on Route 609 or Allapattah Road. The Florida Highway Patrol says Kerr was south bound when for some unknown reason the Harley Davidson motorcycle left the road onto the shoulder and ejected him. Kerr was not wearing a helmet.
Deputies had to chase and or follow a 52 year old suspected drunk driver Sunday night who constantly weaved back and forth across the road in South East Okeechobee. Juan Cartagena faces charges of fleeing and eluding, driving with a suspended license and giving deputies a false name. The incident went from 441 south east, to 15A, to 710, to 15B and back onto 441 south east before the vehicle was stopped.
68 year old Gray English was charged by city police with possession of a 32 caliber revolver as a convicted felon. The report said cops responded to an argument in the McDonalds restaurant on Park Street, and learned the loaded gun was in a bag in the passenger door of the vehicle. The report said English’ criminal history included 14 felony charges of cocaine sale, grand theft and homicide.
A 16 year old boy hid in the woods north of the G 4 S school for a time after an alleged escape attempt on Friday. The boy faces escape and resisting arrest charges. The Sheriff’s office K-9 unit after several warnings entered the woods and subdued the suspect. He was treated for two minor bite wounds at Raulerson Hospital.
3 people were arrested after the report of a stolen vehicle on Sunday morning. A juvenile was charged with grand theft auto, allegedly taking the vehicle from her grandmother. Also charged were an adult female with contributing to the delinquency of a minor and 20 year old Eddie Robertson was charged with cocaine possession and fleeing and eluding police.
A short chase ended on North West 6th Street after deputies spotted the vehicle on 70 west.
Sports Cast for October 6th:
Okeechobee volleyball avenged an early season loss to Sebring with a big three set victory on Monday night, 27-25, 25-21 and 25-19. Raeley Matthews had 11 kills, Andee Garcia had 16 assists, and Cheyenne Nunez 26 digs for Okeechobee as they improved to 9-1 on the year.
Coach Taylor Padrick said her team was motivated and eager to get this win. Sophomore Rachel Bryan had 12 assists and 8 service points. She said the girls are really playing well this year. Okeechobee is now 9-1 on the season.
The Lady Brahman JV lost in two games.
On the sports schedule today, Yearling soccer and volleyball host Storm Grove at 4:30. Osceola middle school hosts Gifford for soccer and volleyball at 4:30, Moore Haven high school volleyball visits Imagine School in North Port. OHS volleyball visits John Carroll, JV at 5 and varsity to follow. OHS swimming takes on Treasure Coast and Martin County in Stuart at 6 pm and OHS girls golf hosts Clewiston at 3:30 pm.
Okeechobee’s Upcoming Events 10-5-15
Okeechobee Medical Reserve Corp. October Training Plan
The Okeechobee Medical Reserve Corp will be holding training events in the month October:
- Thursday 10/22/2015 – Regular MRC meeting and CERT (Community Emergency Response Training, Chapter 1, at the Florida Department of Health building, 1728 NW 9th Ave, Okeechobee, Fla. 6pm-7pm. Park in rear of building.
Training events are at no cost to Okeechobee Medical Reserve Corp members. To sign up to become a member please call Brian Sell 863-462-5865. Membership is not mandatory to attend this training if you wish to attend call Keith Stripling to RSVP 863-634-8261.
- K9 Resque is in need of volunteers for both the rescue and the pet food pantry, and we are also are looking for good loving foster homes for our dogs, if interested please call 863-824-5373
- The Brahma Bull Restaurant & Lounge (2405 Hwy. 441 S.E.) will be hosting Texas Hold-em Tournaments beginning on each Tuesday. The games help to support the “Dogs and Cats Forever” no kill animal shelter in Pt. St. Lucie. Signin is at 7:00P.M. and games start promptly at 7:30P.M. Buy-in is $20.00. Bar Service and food is available for purchase. For more information, call Patty at 772-519-2263. Look forward to seeing you.
- The new art exhibit will be on display through October 30 at the Historic County Courthouse at 304 NW 2nd St. David Joyner is a local artist and veteran. A special thanks to the Lounge at Sacred Sanctuary for sponsoring the Artist Reception that was held last week
- Teen Driver Challenge will have training days on October9th-10th, first day is a four hour block and the second day is an eight hour block. The training will be at the Okeechobee Driver’s Ed Pad at the High School. They’ll learn service and maintenance, techniques on vehicle control, crash avoidance, and lots more. Students must have either a permit or driver’s license. Certificate of completion can be given to your insurance company for a possible reduction in cost. All instructors are OCSO deputies. They’ll more training sessions on November 13th-14th, December 11th-12th, January 8th-9th, February 12th-13th, March 11th-12th and April 8th-9th. for details on how to register, call 863-763-2131 ext 1204.
- THE OKEECHOBEE COMMUNITY THEATRE PRESENTS “SPIRITS OF OKEECHOBEE,” A LIVE STAGE PRODUCTION HIGHLIGHTING SOME OF THE COLORFUL CHARACTERS AND EVENTS FROM THE CITY’S FIRST 100 YEARS. ADMISSION IS FREE. IT WILL BE ONE OF THE MANY ATTRACTIONS AT THE OKEECHOBEE CENTENNIAL HERITAGE FESTIVAL ON THE FRESHMAN CAMPUS ON SATURDAY, OCTOBER 10TH. CURTAIN TIMES FOR THE SHOW WILL BE 10:15 AND 11:15 AM, AND 12:45 AND 1:45 PM.
- The Chamber will host two Grand Openings in October! O’Reilly Auto Parts Grand Opening scheduled for October 15th at 9:00 AM. Surgery Center of Okeechobee will have their Grand Opening/Open House event on October 24th at 10:00 AM.
- The Chamber of Commerce of Okeechobee County will hold their 2nd Annual Business of the Year Awards Luncheon on October 21, 2015 at Indian River State College Dixon Hendry Campus in the Williamson Center. The doors open at 11:30 AM and food served at 11:45 AM. Presentations will begin at 12:00 PM and conclude 1:00 PM. Public registration will begin on September 8th, please make sure you RSVP as seating will be limited.
- Top of the Lake Christmas Festival and parade applications are now available at the Main Street office 55 S. Parrott Ave. M-F 9-4 and online at www.okeechobeemainstreet.org
Sport Related Events
Agri-Civic Center Events
If you’re a non-profit organization and have an upcoming event please send all of your information to 210 WN Park St. Suite 102, email it in at email@example.com or fax us at 1-888-875-1570. Thank you!