True Country WOKC
Thanks for listening to your choice for hometown country music!
Sports Schedule for August 25th:
OHS football hosts Glades Day at 7 pm
Moore Haven football at Dade Christian
OYFL travels to Lee County, Fort Myers.
Charles Murphy News 8/29
News Cast for August 29th:
14.3 million might be the compromise to settle the sheriff’s budget impasse with the county and end their court fight. Commissioner Margaret Helton proposed the compromise after the Sheriff reduced his request to 14 point 5 million to run all three different aspects of the operation, law enforcement, and court security. The county would still have to take 1 million out of the landfill trust fund to balance the budget as they would like to keep the tax rate at the roll back rate this year, meaning no property tax increase. Another meeting is planned for Wednesday at 9 am to try and iron out the impasse. The first court hearing in the battle over who runs the jail is set for next Friday.
A 22 year old Okeechobee man held in the Glades County jail on charges of lewd and lascivious molestation of a child under 15 years old after an investigation by the Seminole Police Department. Bond for Daniel Wacker was set at 1 hundred and 50 thousand dollars.
US Marshalls are on the lookout for an Okeechobee man, 29 year old Jarrod Romani on murder charges from a chain saw theft in Clay County, Florida on June 21st. His friend, 41 year old Jason Kent was killed after a friend of there, 32 year old Nathan Ross apparently stole a chain saw out of another parked vehicle at a convenience store. The victims of that crime gave chase, a fight ensued and Kent ended up dead from a ruptured spleen.
Sports Cast for August 29th:
Okeechobee volleyball gets past Sebring in four games last night, 25-13, 18-25, 25-14 and 25-17 last night to improve to (2-0) on the season. Cheyenne Nunez played a strong game at net for the Lady Brahmans.
She said things appear to be coming together this season. Coach Taylor Pritchard said she was excited by the level of the play and that the girls are really practicing well and learning the game. She said the team has a much more explosive offense this year.
The Brahman Junior Varsity blew out by Vero Beach last night 48-0. The team turned the ball over three times and couldn’t stop the Indians offense.
Coach Joe Smith said the work has only begun for his team.
The varsity Brahmans host Glades Day tonight in a matchup of Big Lake Schools. The Gators were 8-4 last year and reached the regional final in Class 2A. They are led by deep and talented secondary and all state linemen William Mercer.
Moore Haven football travels to Dade Christian. OYFL team travel to Lee County on Saturday.
FMA joins other medical groups in opposition to Amendment 2 Florida physicians strongly reject marijuana question
USF Researchers to Announce Significant Development in DNA Testing/Identification Effort at Dozier School for Boys
FOR MORE NEWS CLICK ON THE LOCAL NEWS LINK!
Blood Drives for September:
- Sat., Sun., Aug. 30, 31 – Labor Day Festival, 10 – 3
- Mon., Sept. 1 – Labor Day Festival, 9 – 2
- Sat., Sept. 6 – Blood donation earns an entry for NASCAR tickets at Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge Dealerships, 10 – 3
- Thurs., Sept. 11 – TD Bank, 11 – 4
- Sun., Sept. 14 – Golden Corral, 11 – 4
- Tues., Sept. 16 – Okeechobee High School, 7:30 – 2:30
- Sun., Sept. 21 – Hair Cuttery by Publix. Benefit blood drive for J. Bailey Hedrick, 15, who is fighting Hodgkins Lymphoma at DiMaggio Childrens Hospital.
- Thurs., Sept. 25 – IRSC Campus, 3 – 8
- Sat., Sun., Sept. 27, 28 – Wal Mart, 11 – 4
- K9 Resque is in need of volunteers for both the rescue and the pet food pantry, and we are also are looking for good loving foster homes for our dogs, if interested please call 863-824-5373
- A meeting of the “Stroke Support Group” will be held at the Heritage Assisted Living Facility on the 2nd Wednesday of every month at 6:00pm. This is a good chance to talk to others about their experience. Light refreshments will be available, for more information phone the Heritage at 863-763-1700 or 863-634-8412.
- The Gathering hosts “Joy in the Mourning” a grief support group and bibile study for anyone who has lost a loved one. The event is every Tuesday at 2pm at the Gathering located at 1735 SW 24th Ave. For more info call Gale @ 863-623-8504.
- Labor Day Celebration Festival will be August 30 – September 1, 2014. Three days of food, fun, arts and crafts. The festival will be each day from 10 am to 3 pm. Outside event in the downtown parks along Park St. The Cattleman’s will host the Florida’s Cowtown Rodeo on Sunday and Monday beginning at 2 pm and Monday the BRAT Club will host the Labor Day parade. Hope to see you there!
- In conjunction with the beginning of school, the annual September Prayer Walk, sponsored by the Okeechobee Ministerial Association, will begin next Tuesday, September 2nd, at the front steps of the Freshman Campus at 6pm. For years, every Tuesday evening during the month of September, community members have met for about an hour to pray for our schools. Everyone is invited to attend and participants walk as much as they are able. We drive to the various schools and pray for everyone involved with that school. Come and join fellow Christians in this unique community event as we pray (while we still can!) for a successful school year for our children, teachers, parents, support and resource staff, volunteers and administrative personnel of all the schools in Okeechobee. Call Sandy Perry at 634-7714 should you have any questions.
- The 5th-Sunday community-wide service, sponsored by the Okeechobee Ministerial Association (OMA), will be Sunday, September 7th, at 6 pm at the Okeechobee Presbyterian Church, located at 312 N Parrott Ave on US 441 N. (The date has been pushed forward one week due to the holiday week-end). Lowell & Sally Senitz, Directors and Founders of Wings of Shelter International, Inc., will both be speaking about their ministry and preaching. A love offering will also be taken for their ministry. Members of the Ministerial Association will also be participating in the service. The Okeechobee Community Choir will be singing. Come, hear the word of the Lord preached and enjoy the fellowship this unique, small-town community-wide service provides. Ministers are invited to join the OMA on the 2nd Wednesday of every month at noon at Golden Corral for devotion, fellowship and a time to pray for the needs of our community.
- Our next Tobacco Free Partnership of Okeechobee County meeting will be held on Tuesday September 9th at noon. At the Thompson Fellowship Hall at the United Pentecostal Church, 405 SW 10th Ave. This meeting is open to current Partnership members and anyone interested in Tobacco Prevention in Okeechobee County. Please bring a friend, neighbor, co-worker or family member to the meeting with you. Lunch will be provided. Please feel free to email or call (863-801-8277) Courtney Moyett with any questions or comments.
- Okeechobee Rehabilitation Center is hosting a HUGE garage sale on Saturday, September 20th from 8am to 3pm! They’ll have lots of different items for you to choose from! If you’re looking to donate ANY ITEMS please call 863-697-0018 or 863-610-0515, no matter what they’ll come and pick it up if you can’t deliver!
Sport Related Events
- Papa Johns is presenting their weekly fundraiser every Thursday when you order from Papa John’s they’ll donate 10% of your total order to the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band. Valid for carry out or delivery, you can also order online by using the PROMO CODE OCSD2014. Be sure to mention that you are a supporter of the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band when you are placing an order.
- Paddock Farms is “driving on” ! Learn how to drive your horse, racing, obstacles and more! Paddock Farms will be available every weekend after to teach you about how to drive your horse. Must be 18 years of age or older, all horses brought to the Paddock Farms must have a negative coggins test and you will be asked to sign a waiver. Not sure if your horse could race? You will have the option to have your horse evaluated. Don’t have a horse? No problem, they’ll provide them for you. No experience is necessary. No horse? No harness? No problem! Call Nancy at 863-634-1440 or 863-634-1438 for more information.
- Okeechobee residents are participating in the American Heart Association’s 2014 Palm Beach Heart Walk on Sep 27, 2014. By joining our team, you can! If not; please consider a donation♡ Register online at: http://s.heartwalk.org/T5JNcW Together, we can make a difference. You don’t have to join alone. Please feel free to forward this email to anyone else who may want to raise funds and make a difference in our community. Thank you, in advance, for your participation.
Agri-Civic Center Events
- Sunday, August 31st Kaza Productions presents the Mexican Rodeo with music and food from 1:00pm to 8:00pm.