True Country WOKC
WOKC Okeechobee’s True Country OHS 2014 Baseball Broadcast Schedule
Tuesday, April 22nd at 1pm OHS Baseball takes on Jensen Beach, Fl
This is a link to the Okeechobee Teen Driver Challenge, click this for more info!
Charles Murphy News 4/18
News Cast for April 18th:
Okeechobee City Council is at odds with the Florida Department of Transportation for downtown improvements proposed with the main intersection widening project.
The city has escrowed 72 thousand dollars so decorative cross walks can be constructed at several intersections. However the bid came in at 118 thousand dollars. City councilman Dowling Watford says the costs of the crosswalks have gotten astronomical. At their last meeting the Council decided to wait and see if the Department of Transportation will change their minds before approving any more funds.
Okeechobee County joined the new Highlands Metropolitan planning association last week. The 6 county regions along with the cities of Avon Park and Sebring will have voting rights.
Highlands County Assistant County Administrator Chris Benson says this group will have a lot of impacts on transportation and this region will have a lot of highway projects. Other counties involved include Glades, Hendry, Hardee and Desoto. Okeechobee will have one vote on the panel.
Among arrests, 26 year old Ronald Palmer was charged with possession of met amphetamine and grand theft of a welder from a local business.
A small arson fire under investigation in a bathroom at the freshman campus this week.
Glades County has requested 2 million dollars from the Florida Department of Transportation to construct a pedestrian access bridge across Harney Pond Canal in Lakeport. The county has asked the state to waive the local match because they are an area of critical economic concern in the state.
Sports Cast for April 18th:
OHS swimming took a step forward this season as the most ever swimmers qualified for the regional meet, set three school records and were close to two other school records.
Coach Neafsey said he really is looking forward to the future of Okeechobee High school swimming. Brandon Ball and Aubrey Reister were named Most Valuable players from the swim team and Neafsey said they set great examples for their teammates..
Brahman Awards went to girls’ team captain Billie Leavitt and to Lucas Penido for the Boys squad. Coach Neafsey said the team lost just two seniors so they should return a strong corps of swimmers for next season. The main goal will be to find more boys to join the swim team next year.
Jensen Beach defeated South fork 1-0 to win District 13-6A softball crown last night.
Okeechobee club soccer will host games this Saturday.
- A meeting of the “Stroke Support Group” will be held at the Heritage Assisted Living Facility on the 2nd Wednesday of every month at 6:00pm. This is a good chance to talk to others about their experience. Light refreshments will be available, for more information phone the Heritage at 863-763-1700 or 863-634-8412.
- The Economic Opportunities Council of Indian River County is accepting applications for Northside Head Start and VPK. Children must have been born before September 2, 2010. Birth Certificate and social security number for the child applying and proof of family income is required. For more information call the Northside Head Start Office, 863-357-8677 for an appointment and additional information. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.
- “Joy in the Mourning” is a grief support group and bible study for anyone who has lost a loved one through death or divorce. All are welcome to attend; the support group will meet every Monday at 6pm and Tuesday at 2pm at the Gathering, 1735 SW 24th Ave. For more information contact Gale at 863-634-8504.
- Buckhead Ridge Moose Lodge #2417 is hosting a dinner this Thursday, April 17th beginning at 5pm. Members and qualified guests may attend. The dinner includes roast pork, mashed potatoes, green beans, roll and butter for $6 dollar donation. For more info call 863-763-2250
- Okeechobee Main Street Art and Culture committee will be having an artist reception on Tuesday, April 22nd. The public is invited to the historic county courthouse to meet the artists who make up the Country Life exhibit. Light refreshments will be served from 5-7pm.
- Join Main Street at Golden Corral on Wednesday, April 23rd for a general membership meeting at noon. Voting for new board members will be done at this time.
- Applebee’s is hosting a pancake fundraiser breakfast for the DARE program this Saturday, April 26th from 8am to 10am. For more info call Morgan Undergrott at 216-695-7967.
The Chamber of Commerce will hold its monthly Chamber Business After Hours on Tuesday April 29, 2014 at 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM at OK Corral Gun Club located at 9449 NE 48th Street. This is an excellent opportunity to get to know your local business people and build lasting relationships in a professional environment. So don’t miss the opportunity, RSVP NOW via the Chamber calendar.
Have you been considering starting a business, but getting it started feels overwhelming? Where do you start? How can you get started on the right path? We’ve assembled a team of area professionals to provide you necessary information for you to consider before starting a business. We’ll provide you information on permits, insurance, accounting, human resources, legal issues, web site and marketing. Join us on June 5 at 9 a.m. and determine if starting a business is right for you. Okeechobee Chamber of Commerce, 55 S. Parrott Ave, Okeechobee, FL 34974. Please call Antoinette Rodriguez or Mariah Parriott at 863.467.6246 to RSVP!
- Come out to the Veteran’s Appreciation Day at Freedom Ranch on Saturday, May 10th from 10am to 3pm. They’ll have BBQ chow, live music, swamp buggy rides, arena action, military equipment displays from local veterans group. The mobile vet center will also be there. Public is welcome, RSVP at 863-763-9800
Sport Related Events
- The Chobee Bulls is a football program that intends to field four teams for the upcoming season. Sign ups will be accepted on Saturday the 19th at the Okeechobee Skate Park, NW 5th Ave from 9am to 2pm. Each athlete should bring a copy of their birth certificate and the fee is $60 dollars. Players age 6-8 can weigh up to 85 pounds, age 9-10 up to 100 pounds, age 11-12 up to 125 pounds, ages 13-14 up to 160 pounds. They’ll compete in the Glades Tri City Youth Football League with teams from Belle Glades, Indiantown, Pahokee and Palm Beach County. For more information call 863-801-5603.
- The 2014 Law Enforcement Torch Run for Special Olympics is scheduled to travel through Okeechobee County on May 2. The run will begin at the Okeechobee County Sheriff’s Office at 9:00 a.m. The route will conclude at Publix located at 3551 Highway 441 South.At Publix, Special Olympic Athletes will join the runners and be acknowledged for their participation. A fundraising BBQ will immediately follow. The BBQ will be ribs, 2 sides, dessert and tea. The cost is $10.00 for a rib dinner or $20.00 for a slab of ribs. Advance tickets will be available, contact (863)763-3117. Each year, law enforcement officers from more than 300 Florida agencies participate in the statewide torch run to benefit the athletes of Special Olympics Florida. More than 5,000 officers carry the torch on a 1,500-mile relay through 66 counties in Florida. For more information, contact Michele, Joan or Connie, (863)763-3117.
Upcoming Agri-Civic Center Events:
- Saturday 4/19/14 Pregnancy Center of Okeechobee Color Craze 5K Run/Walk for Life. Family friendly, fun filled activities, Music & dancing, & a kid’s zone. Registration starts at 8:30 AM, First Heat at 10:00 AM. For more information call 467-8748
- Friday 4/25 – 4/26 American Cancer Society Relay for Life 6:00 PM – 6:00 AM. Registration opens at 5:00PM. Join the American Cancer Society in the world’s largest movement to end cancer. Form a Relay for Life team and sign up online to start fundraising www.relayforlife.org/okeechobeefl
- Sunday 4/27/14 Kaza Productions Mexican Rodeo, Mexican Bands & food, more information to come.