True Country WOKC
News Cast for February 9th:
US Senator Bill Nelson filed a bill last week to expedite projects to reduce Lake Okeechobee discharges. The US Army Corps of Engineers Friday began full scale releases to both the St. Lucie and Caloosahatchee Rivers due to recent rains and the lake level approaching 16 and a quarter feet. Senator Nelson says they can’t wait any longer.
The 12.3 billion dollar projects known as the Central Everglades Planning Process were not included in the 2014 water bill and funding might not be otherwise available for up to seven years.
The Florida house agriculture and natural resources subcommittee last week also addressed Lake Okeechobee by approving the Legacy Florida bill. State Representative Gayle Harrell would like to set aside Amendment I money to land purchases and projects north of Lake Okeechobee that would restrict the releases from Lake Okeecehobee.
Some 2 billion could be spent over the next 10 years. Anne Upton of the Everglades Foundation says this bill is a step in the right direction.
25 year old Roykeria Wiley received one year probation and nine days in jail. The Okeechobee stripper was not convicted of the five charges originally filed including aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. The Basinger woman allegedly pulled a handgun out of her vehicle and pointed it at two bouncers at a strip club on Congress Avenue in West Palm beach last April.
Sports Cast for February 9th:
Moore Haven High celebrated on national signing day as one of their own, All-State running back D’angelo Ware, signed to play college football for Florida International. Ware rushed for nearly 15 hundred yards this past season and 19 touchdowns for the 7-3 Terriers. The entire student body celebrated the signing during a special lunch period last week.
Ware says he was thrilled to choose FIU. He’ll be competing at running back. He plans to study sports management.
Coach Richard Roudybush says he hopes this is a sign of things to come for the Terrier football program.
On the sports schedule today. OHS tennis visits Lake Placid at 4:30. OHS JV softball will host the Brighton reservation at 4 pm. Imagine School of North Port will meet the OHS JV softball team afterward at 6 pm. Moore Haven JV baseball visits Glades Day at 4 pm. Moore Haven varsity baseball hosts First Baptist Academy at 7 pm.
Okeechobee’s Upcoming Events 2-8-16
Thank you to all those who saved the lives of their neighbors and family by donating blood during 2015. But the need is constant so please give again at one of the February blood drives listed.
Tues., Feb. 9 — Raulerson Hospital, 1 – 6
Fri., Feb., 12 — Big O RV Resort, 7950 Hwy 78W, 12 – 5
Sat., Feb. 13 — Raye’s Birthday Bash, TD Bank, Platelets 9:30 – 5
Sat., Feb. 13 — Raye’s Birthday Bash, TD Bank, Whole Blood, 10 – 4
Sun., Feb. 14 — Golden Corral, 11 – 4
Mon., Feb. 15 — Wal Mart, 11 – 5
Fri., Feb. 19 — Publix, 1:30 – 6:30
Sun., Feb. 21 — Christ Fellowship Church, 8 – 2
Mon., Feb. 22 — Winn Dixie, 12 – 6
Tues., Feb. 23 — Okee Correctional Institution, 12 – 5
Thurs., Feb. 25– IRSC Campus, 3 – 8
Fri., Feb. 26 — Harbor Community Bank, 12 – 5
Fri., Feb. 26 — Publix, 1:30 – 6:30
Sat., Feb. 27 — Publix, 10:30 – 4:30
Sat., Feb. 27 — Wal Mart, 11 – 4
Sun., Feb. 28 — Sacred Heart Catholic Church, 8:30 – 3
- K9 Resque is in need of volunteers for both the rescue and the pet food pantry, and we are also are looking for good loving foster homes for our dogs, if interested please call 863-824-5373
- The Oasis Lounge at the Okeechobee Shrine Club has again opened their doors and we look forward to serving your favorite beverages while you spend a little time winding down the week. Invite your friends and neighbors to meet you for a quick get together or spend some time and enjoy catching up from a busy week. The Oasis Lounge offers an intimate and friendly setting to relax and unwind every Friday and Saturday evening from 5pm to 10pm. The Lounge is always open to the public except during times of private leases of the Club. For information contact Kip Gardner at (863)357-0427 or the Okeechobee Shrine Club at (863)763-3378
- Membership! Are you a Main Street member whom has not paid their dues for the 2015-2016 year? Are you not yet a Main Street member? It is easy to become a part of an organization that is dedicated to the Okeechobee community! Visit Main Street at 55 S Parrott Ave or at www.okeechobeemainstreet.org
- The next Main Street Mixer will be Tuesday, February 16th, 2016 at Pier 2 2200 Hwy 441 SE from 5-7pm. Don’t forget your door prizes and cash for the 2016 50/50 collection!
- The Okeechobee Educational Foundation is pleased to announce their annual mystery dessert theatre presentation scheduled for Friday, February 19, 2016, 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m., at the Freshman Campus Auditorium, directly behind Golden Corral in downtown Okeechobee. The presentation, MY FATAL VALENTINE, will feature Okeechobee High Drama Troupe under the direction of Deborah Raulerson, Drama Director. Tickets are available for $20 from any Foundation member or by calling 863-462-5000 x 257. Admission includes “Death by Chocolate” a dessert intermission sponsored by Waste Management, Inc..
Sport Related Events
- Teen Driver Challenge will have training days on February 12th-13th, first day is a four hour block and the second day is an eight hour block. The training will be at the Okeechobee Driver’s Ed Pad at the High School. They’ll learn service and maintenance, techniques on vehicle control, crash avoidance, and lots more. Students must have either a permit or driver’s license. Certificate of completion can be given to your insurance company for a possible reduction in cost. All instructors are OCSO deputies. They’ll more training sessions on F, March 11th-12th and April 8th-9th. for details on how to register, call 863-763-2131 ext 1204.
Agri-Civic Center Events
If you’re a non-profit organization and have an upcoming event please send all of your information to 210 WN Park St. Suite 102, email it in at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax us at 1-888-875-1570. Thank you!