True Country WOKC
WOKC Okeechobee’s True Country and K9 Resque of Okeechobee are proud to present the pet of the month! Below is a description about this furbaby, call WOKC for more information on how you can adopt this precious dog!
Hunter safety courses offered in 4 counties – 10/22 for Okeechobee
News Cast for September 29th:
The house approved the Central Everglades Planning Project Tuesday night which includes funding for the Herbert Hoover dike, the Everglades, Kissimmee River and Lake Okeechobee. The bill got bipartisan support in a 399 to 25 vote. The achieving excellence luncheon honored well over 1 hundred local businesses and individuals who have supported the Okeechobee Education Foundation in the past year.
Mini grant recipient Deborah Raulerson teaches Drama at Okeechobee High. She said teachers often purchase school supplies and materials with their own salaries.
North Elementary Teacher Megan Williamson says these grants allow for educational experiences that otherwise wouldn’t happen
Daniel Willis the new park manager for the Kissimmee Prairie State park says the park remains one of the best places in Florida for star gazing. They continue to offer camping, biking, hiking and site seeing along with swamp buggy tours during the cooler months of the year.
Sports Cast for September 29th:
The Lady Brahman golf team is in the process of rebuilding. The four girl roster includes younger girls, sophomore and freshmen who have very little experience. Coach Morgan Ungerott says she welcomes more girls to try out the sport. None of the girls had played golf competitively before this season. She says the girls have been encouraged by their improvement.
The roster includes Emily Rhoden-Dayton Buxton- Morgan Buxton and Alexandrea Fulford
- OHS bowling at Jensen Beach 3:30 pm Jensen Bowl
- OHS boys golf at South Fork 3:30 pm Hammock Creek
- OHS swimming at Westwood 4 pm Martin County High
- OHS volleyball at home against John Carroll JV 5, varsity to follow
- OHS JV football hosts Vero Beach at 6 pm
- Moore Haven volleyball at Seacrest Country Day JV 6, varsity to follow
- Moore Haven middle school football at Clewiston 6 pm
- Osceola volleyball and soccer at Oslo 4:30 pm
- Yearling volleyball and soccer host Sebastian 4:30 pm
- PECS hosts West Glades volleyball at 4:30 JV, varsity to follow
Okeechobee’s Upcoming Events 9-26-16
- K9 Resque is in need of volunteers for both the rescue and the pet food pantry, and we are also are looking for good loving foster homes for our dogs, if interested please call 863-824-5373
- The Oasis Lounge at the Okeechobee Shrine Club has again opened their doors and we look forward to serving your favorite beverages while you spend a little time winding down the week. Invite your friends and neighbors to meet you for a quick get together or spend some time and enjoy catching up from a busy week. The Oasis Lounge offers an intimate and friendly setting to relax and unwind every Friday and Saturday evening from 5pm to 10pm. The Lounge is always open to the public except during times of private leases of the Club. For information contact Kip Gardner at (863)357-0427 or the Okeechobee Shrine Club at (863)763-3378
- Membership! Are you a Main Street member whom has not paid their dues for the 2015-2016 year? Are you not yet a Main Street member? It is easy to become a part of an organization that is dedicated to the Okeechobee community! Visit Main Street at 55 S Parrott Ave or at www.okeechobeemainstreet.org
- On Thursday, October 27, 2016, communities across the nation will join the NOPE Task Force in hosting the Tenth Annual NOPE Candle Light Vigil in memory of those lost to and those suffering from substance abuse. The NOPE Vigil strives to raise awareness and open the doors to recovery by eliminating the prejudice that has followed the disease of addiction; a disease that shows no prejudice to any walk of life or background. With the removal of shame comes the hope for survival. Acceptance of the disease can be humbling to the soul, and, in turn, empowering to those in need, to seek help. If you would like to participate in the Okeechobee NOPE Candlelight Vigil by submitting a photo of a family member or friend please submit the photo to the NOPE website, www.nopetaskforce.org or contact Connie Curry at 763-3117. The deadline for submitting photos is October 1, 2016. Please join us October 27, 2016 at the Okeechobee County Civic Center, 1750 Hwy 98 North, at 6:30 p.m. for the NOPE Candlelight Vigil.
- SEPTEMBER BLOOD DRIVES in OKEECHOBEE
Tuesday, September 27 Raulerson Hospital, 1:00 to 6:00
Thursday, September 29 Walmart, 1:30 to 7:00
Friday, September 30 Seacoast Bank, South, 12:00 to 5:30
Sport Related Events
Agri-Civic Center Events