True Country WOKC
WOKC Okeechobee’s True Country OHS 2014 Baseball Broadcast Schedule
Friday March 14th – OHS vs Westwood 7:00pm
Saturday March 22nd OHS vs St. Albans Day 5pm
Tuesday March 25th – OHS vs. Sebring 7pm
Friday March 28th – OHS @ Avon Park 7pm
Thursday April 3rd – OHS vs Centennial * At Tradition Field in PSL 3pm
Tuesday April 8th – OHS @ Jensen Beach 7:00pm
Monday April 14th – OHS vs Martin County 7pm
Wednesday April 16th – OHS vs Lincoln Park Academy *At Tradition Field 3pm
Friday April 18th – OHS vs Arcadia – DeSoto
Charles Murphy News 3/10
News Cast for March 10th:
Florida’s highway patrol working a fatal hit and run of a pedestrian north of Okeechobee. A Ford compact vehicle was south bound and struck and killed 20 year old Frisdi Mariela Hernandez Alecio of Homestead near the entrance to the Taylor Creek Stormwater Treatment Area around 7 in the morning. The vehicle continued going south on 441. It will have right front damage, amber light damage and a missing right side mirror. Anyone with information can call the Highway Patrol at *FHP.
The proposed Army Corps of Engineer’s budget for the next year includes 75 million to continue work on the Herbert Hoover dike around Lake Okeechobee. Another 65 million is included to continue restorations of the South Florida ecosystem.
Delmonte fresh produce last week announced the purchase of over 26 hundred acres on the East side of Lake Okeechobee. They plan to have a tomato crop to grow in Florida to cover their needs during the winter months. They’d also like to grow other plants like cucumbers, bell peppers, squash and watermelons.
In the courts, 51 year old David Moore received life in prison for an attack on Okeechobee Correctional guards in the prison yard on May 30th of 2012. He chased after another inmate, Maurice Flowers cutting him in the ear, and cut Sgt. Frances Hannah and others with a homemade shank. He was convicted at trial of lesser charges like aggravated assault and aggravated battery.
19 year old Jazma Washignton received one year in the county jail, four years’ probation and one year of community control for a plea deal over a teenage fight caught on You Tube at the sports complex last May 21st. Jealousy appeared to be the motive. She was found guilty of aggravated battery, and felony battery.
Prosecutors dropped a charge of child neglect with great bodily harm against 43 year old Joesphine McDuffie. She was accused of leaving a 10 month old infant in the care of small children, and the children tossed the infant up in the air suffered brain bleeding and shaken baby syndrome.
Sports Cast for March 10th:
Kutter Crawford pitched five strong innings and Elijah Finney finished off the game strong as Okeechobee defeated South Fork 6-2 for their first victory of the season on Friday night in Tropical Farms. Okeechobee put together a five run fifth to erase a 2-1 deficit to get the first head coaching win for Eric Kindell. He said his team has continued to work hard despite the 6 game losing streaks and that paid off with this win. Jarrod Morgan had three hits to lead the offense including a double and a run scored.
Danyelle Sheffield had three hits and Jordan Lawlis threw six strong innings as Okeechobee softball defeated Jensen Beach 9-5 in a mistake marred game at Brahman field Friday. Brahman Coach Mary Huff admits both teams made some fielding mistakes which does not happen a lot when these two rivals play. Lawlis struck out five and didn’t walk a batter in her performance. She dealt with some chilly conditions.
She said this win means a lot for the team.
On the sports schedule today, boys tennis hosts Morningside Academy at 3:30 pm.
Gov. Scott: Cancer Treatment Centers of America® Selects Boca Raton as Site for New Corporate Headquarters
Governor Rick Scott Announces Historic Funding for Public Schools, State Colleges and State Universities in “It’s Your Money Tax Cut Budget”
Florida Man Arrested, Charged In New Jersey With Sale Of Deadly Toxin On Underground Online Marketplace
- The Better Breathers Class is a support group for people with COPD or other respiratory related issues. Better Breathers meet the first Wednesday of each month at 5:00 p.m. in Raulerson Hospital’s In-Service Classroom.
- A meeting of the “Stroke Support Group” will be held at the Heritage Assisted Living Facility on the 2nd Wednesday of every month at 6:00pm. This is a good chance to talk to others about their experience. Light refreshments will be available, for more information phone the Heritage at 863-763-1700 or 863-634-8412.
- School out for a holiday break or teacher plan day? Here is an opportunity for supervised childcare, ages K – age 13, full pay, reduced pay, and some financial assistance. For questions, please call the camp hotline at 863-484-0202. YMCA camp is located at Sacred Heart Catholic Church’s pavilion in Okeechobee.
- The Economic Opportunities Council of Indian River County is accepting applications for Northside Head Start and VPK. Children must have been born before September 2, 2010. Birth Certificate and social security number for the child applying and proof of family income is required. For more information call the Northside Head Start Office, 863-357-8677 for an appointment and additional information. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.
- “Joy in the Mourning” is a grief support group and bible study for anyone who has lost a loved one through death or divorce. All are welcome to attend; the support group will meet every Monday at 6pm and Tuesday at 2pm at the Gathering, 1735 SW 24th Ave. For more information contact Gale at 863-634-8504.
- Okeechobee Christian Academy (OCA) will be collecting Easter basket items such as; individually wrapped candy, snacks, toys, small stuffed animals, plastic eggs, books, crayons, puzzles, bubbles and hygiene products. Monetary donations will also be welcomed and will be used to purchase items that are needed. This year, our goal is to make 175 Easter baskets for children right here in Okeechobee County who may not otherwise receive a basket. The Waste Management and the B.R.A.T. Club have agreed to donate all of the baskets to get us started; now we need your help to fill them! Donations can be dropped off at American Drilling Services, The Brown Cow Sweetery, The 1-Stop Party Shop, The Pregnancy Center of Okeechobee, WOKC, The Okeechobee City Police Department, The Okeechobee County Sheriff’s Department, Wemmer Orthodontics, Everglades Pediatric Dentistry, Bank of America, Centerstate Bank, Seacoast National Bank, Suntrust Bank, TD Bank, Teez 2 Pleez and Okeechobee Christian Academy. During the week before Easter, the students at Okeechobee Christian Academy student body will assemble each basket. The finished baskets will be donated to Communities In Schools who will distribute the baskets to children in Okeechobee County. This is a great opportunity to share joy of Easter with then children in our community. Please call Sarah if you would like more information about donating (863) 634-2276. For more information on Communities In Schools, please call Jill at (863) 462-5125 Ext.128
- The Sacred Hearth Catholic Church is hosting a fish dinner on Friday, March 14th, 21st and 28th as well as on April 4th and 11th from 4:00pm to 7:00pm at 701 SW 6th St. You can get your fish baked or fried and includes potatoes, coleslaw, beverage and dessert for $8 dollars/adults and $4 dollars/children. All proceeds go towards the church, for more info call 863-763-3727.
- The First United Methodist Church is holding a smoked chicken dinner on Friday, March 14th from 11am to 1pm (take out only) or from 4pm to 6:30pm (dine in or take out). The menu is 1/4th of a chicken, coleslaw, baked beans, roll and dessert for an $8 dollar donation. Tickets are available at the church or you can fax orders in to 863-763-2481 by Thursday and include contact name, phone number and address to deliver 10 orders or more.
- Indian River State College is holding a Cash for College event at all campuses on Saturday, March 15th from 11am to 2pm. At the Okeechobee campus, the event will be held in the Williamson Center classroom number C102. Those attending will receive help with applying for FASFA, they’ll need to bring their 2012/2013 tax return and W2 forms, dependent students must bring parents’ W2 and tax returns. For more information call the IRSC Call Center at 1-866-792-4772 or visit irsc.edu.
- The Okeechobee Missionary Baptist Church is having a homecoming celebration on Sunday, March 16th with guest speaker Bro. Kerry Beaty. Sunday school starts at 9:45am, Worship Service at 10:45am and Dinner On The Grounds after worship. The church is located at 1302 SW 32nd St. Nursery is provided for children 4 and under. If you can have questions call 863-763-8945 or 863-801-1297.
Sport Related Events
If you’re a non-profit organization and have an upcoming event please send all of your information to 210 WN Park St. Suite 102, email it in at email@example.com or fax us at 1-888-875-1570. Thank you!