In honor of National Watermelon Day, we’re going to talk about various health benefits of Watermelon as well as some funky recipes!
Watermelon Pomegranate Sangria
- 2 ½ cups watermelon juice (to make 18 “ice” cubes)
- 4 cups watermelon chunks (approximately 1″ cubes) or thinly sliced watermelon triangles
- 1 medium orange, ends cut off and sliced thin
- ½ cup brandy
- 2 cups pomegranate juice
- 1 bottled red wine, chilled (a fruity wine, such as shiraz or merlot works well)
- 1 ½ cups Orangina or orange Italian soda
- Fill ice cube trays with watermelon juice and freeze.
- Place orange slices, watermelon chunks or slices, and brandy in medium sized bowl, toss gently, and let stand for 15 minutes to allow fruit to soak up some of the brandy flavors.
- In a large pitcher, add fruit mixture, pomegranate juice, and wine. Refrigerate for one hour or longer to allow flavors to blend. Just before serving, add the Orangina or Italian soda. Serve over watermelon ice cubes.