Florida gas prices averaged $4.89 per gallon on Sunday
TAMPA, Fla., (June 13, 2022) — The national average price for gasoline exceeded $5 a gallon over the weekend. The average price is also above $5 a gallon in 21 states and the District of Columbia. Florida’s state average has not exceeded the $5 threshold, yet it’s not far off.
Florida gas prices averaged $4.89 per gallon on Sunday. The state average set another record high after increasing 13 cents per gallon during the past week.
Florida gas prices are now 65% more expensive than a year ago. On average it costs $72 to fill an average-sized 15-gallon tank of gas. That’s $28 more than what drivers paid this time last year. Although the state average remains below $5 a gallon, drivers in South Florida are already beginning to see regular unleaded prices above $5.
- Most expensive metro markets – West Palm Beach – Boca Raton ($5.01), Fort Lauderdale ($4.93), Port St. Lucie ($4.92)
- Least expensive metro markets – Crestview-Fort Walton Beach ($4.68), Pensacola ($4.69), Panama City ($4.73)
- Check metro gas price averages at GasPrices.AAA.com
“The unprecedented pain at the pump continues to worsen after oil prices reached new multi-month highs, last week,” said Mark Jenkins, spokesman, AAA – The Auto Club Group. “The reason remains the same – ongoing concerns that global fuel supplies can not keep pace with rising fuel demand. Oil production was already tight coming out of the pandemic. Now competition for fuels has increased, as most of the world seeks alternatives to Russian output. The uncertainty about when conditions when normalize has kept upward momentum on prices at the pump.
“The continued uncertainty surrounding global supply and demand has made it extremely difficult to pin down any realistic expectations on when drivers will see meaningful relief from sky high gas prices,” Jenkins continued. “The Florida average price for gasoline is likely to exceed $5 a gallon this summer, if not before the end of June. From there, drivers should expect gas prices to continue fluctuating throughout the rest of the year.”
On Wednesday, the U.S. price of crude oil reached a 3-month high of $122.11 per barrel, but finished the week slightly lower. Friday’s settlement of $120.67 per gallon is nearly $2 more than the week before.
|Gas Price Overview||Oil Price Overview|
|Sunday’s Avg. Price – $4.89 per gallon Cost for a Full Tank – $72 (15 gallons) 2022 High – $4.89 per gallon (June 12, 2022) 2021 High – $3.36 per gallon (Nov. 2021) Record High – $4.89 per gallon||Friday’s U.S. Oil Price – $120.67 per barrel Previous Week’s Closing Price – $118.87 per barrel 2022 High – $123.70 (Mar. 8, 2022) 2021 High – $84.65 per barrel (Oct. 2021) Record High – $145.29 per barrel (July 2008)|
Ways to Save on Gasoline
- Combine errands to limit driving time.
- Shop around for the best gas prices in your community.
- Pay with cash. Some retailers charge extra per gallon for customers who pay with a credit card.
- Remove excess weight in your vehicle. Every 100 pounds taken out of the vehicle improves fuel economy by 1-2 percent.
- Drive conservatively. Aggressive acceleration and speeding reduces fuel economy.
AAA Resources for Drivers
- Enroll in savings programs. AAA Members who enroll in Shell’s Fuel Rewards program can save 30 cents per gallon on their first fill-up and 5 cents per gallon each additional trip to the pump. Click here for more information.
- Get a tune-up. Ensure your vehicle is properly maintained to optimize its fuel economy. Visit AAA.com/AutoRepair to find a certified repair shop.
- Find the lowest gas prices in your area by using the free AAA mobile app.
- Determine anticipated fuel costs for your trip by using the AAA’s Gas Cost Calculator.
Find Florida Gas Prices
- Daily gas price averages can be found at Gasprices.aaa.com
- State and metro averages can be found here
|AAA GAS PRICE AVERAGES|
(Price per gallon of regular unleaded gasoline)
|Sunday||Saturday||Week Ago||Month Ago||One Year Ago|
|Click here to view current gasoline price averages|
Gas Price Survey Methodology
AAA updates fuel price averages daily at www.GasPrices.AAA.com. Every day up to 130,000 stations are surveyed based on credit card swipes and direct feeds in cooperation with the Oil Price Information Service (OPIS) and Wright Express for unmatched statistical reliability. All average retail prices in this report are for a gallon of regular, unleaded gasoline.