True Country WOKC
News Cast for February 12th:
The county commission selected the United Way of Lee, Hendry, Glades and Okeechobee to take ownership of the old Lottie Raulerson senior center building. The plan is to create a local United Way house to house charitable organizations.
Four are on board so far including the Hibiscus Childrens Center, Childrens Home Society, Exchange Club Castle and the Warrior Center for Veterans. The county gave those 60 days to study the building to see if it is financially feasible. Steve Lafferty said he thinks will be good for the community.
Two Spot in the Sun residents appeared before the board to complain about drainage and flooding. The county says they live in an area with private drainage systems and there is not much they can do. Melinda Atsavinh said her backyard is often filled with water. The county has cleared over 44 miles of drainage canals in the past two years.
Chairman Frank Irby says he will not seek reelection this year. School Board member India Riedel announced she would not seek another term in her district.
Sports Cast for February 12th:
Okeechobee threw a scare into Dillard trailing by only two points in the second half before the Panthers pulled away for a 68-52 victory last night in the 6A regional game.
Jordan Wright had 31 points to lead Dillard to their 26th win. He said Okeechobee really surprised his team
Chris Epps had 11 points and 7 rebounds and Shaquoy Ferrol had 24 points to lead the Brahmans. Epps said he was satisfied with his play but the team made too many mistakes down the stretch.
Coach Demetre Riles said he was proud that his team played hard and didn’t let Dillard pull away.
Moore Haven boys were blown out by Community School of Naples in their Class 3A regional game 81-41.
OHS girls softball lost at Treasure Coast 5-3. Lauren Bostwick had a triple and a homerun with two runs batted in for the Lady Brahmans.
Moore Haven softball defeated Palmetto Ridge 7-6.
On the sports schedule today, OHS softball hosts Martin County with JV at 5 pm and varsity to follow. OHS boys baseball hosts Treasure Coast at 7 pm. South West Florida Christian softball visits Moore Haven at 6 pm. Moore Haven baseball hosts Canterbury at 7 pm. OHS JV baseball hosts a double header tomorrow against Port St. Lucie and the OHS rodeo team hosts a rodeo at the Ag Civic Center this weekend.
Okeechobee’s Upcoming Events 2-8-16
Thank you to all those who saved the lives of their neighbors and family by donating blood during 2015. But the need is constant so please give again at one of the February blood drives listed.
Sat., Feb. 13 — Raye’s Birthday Bash, TD Bank, Platelets 9:30 – 5
Sat., Feb. 13 — Raye’s Birthday Bash, TD Bank, Whole Blood, 10 – 4
Sun., Feb. 14 — Golden Corral, 11 – 4
Mon., Feb. 15 — Wal Mart, 11 – 5
Fri., Feb. 19 — Publix, 1:30 – 6:30
Sun., Feb. 21 — Christ Fellowship Church, 8 – 2
Mon., Feb. 22 — Winn Dixie, 12 – 6
Tues., Feb. 23 — Okee Correctional Institution, 12 – 5
Thurs., Feb. 25– IRSC Campus, 3 – 8
Fri., Feb. 26 — Harbor Community Bank, 12 – 5
Fri., Feb. 26 — Publix, 1:30 – 6:30
Sat., Feb. 27 — Publix, 10:30 – 4:30
Sat., Feb. 27 — Wal Mart, 11 – 4
Sun., Feb. 28 — Sacred Heart Catholic Church, 8:30 – 3
- K9 Resque is in need of volunteers for both the rescue and the pet food pantry, and we are also are looking for good loving foster homes for our dogs, if interested please call 863-824-5373
- The Oasis Lounge at the Okeechobee Shrine Club has again opened their doors and we look forward to serving your favorite beverages while you spend a little time winding down the week. Invite your friends and neighbors to meet you for a quick get together or spend some time and enjoy catching up from a busy week. The Oasis Lounge offers an intimate and friendly setting to relax and unwind every Friday and Saturday evening from 5pm to 10pm. The Lounge is always open to the public except during times of private leases of the Club. For information contact Kip Gardner at (863)357-0427 or the Okeechobee Shrine Club at (863)763-3378
- Membership! Are you a Main Street member whom has not paid their dues for the 2015-2016 year? Are you not yet a Main Street member? It is easy to become a part of an organization that is dedicated to the Okeechobee community! Visit Main Street at 55 S Parrott Ave or at www.okeechobeemainstreet.org
- The next Main Street Mixer will be Tuesday, February 16th, 2016 at Pier 2 2200 Hwy 441 SE from 5-7pm. Don’t forget your door prizes and cash for the 2016 50/50 collection!
- The Okeechobee Educational Foundation is pleased to announce their annual mystery dessert theatre presentation scheduled for Friday, February 19, 2016, 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m., at the Freshman Campus Auditorium, directly behind Golden Corral in downtown Okeechobee. The presentation, MY FATAL VALENTINE, will feature Okeechobee High Drama Troupe under the direction of Deborah Raulerson, Drama Director. Tickets are available for $20 from any Foundation member or by calling 863-462-5000 x 257. Admission includes “Death by Chocolate” a dessert intermission sponsored by Waste Management, Inc..
Sport Related Events
- Teen Driver Challenge will have training days on February 12th-13th, first day is a four hour block and the second day is an eight hour block. The training will be at the Okeechobee Driver’s Ed Pad at the High School. They’ll learn service and maintenance, techniques on vehicle control, crash avoidance, and lots more. Students must have either a permit or driver’s license. Certificate of completion can be given to your insurance company for a possible reduction in cost. All instructors are OCSO deputies. They’ll more training sessions on F, March 11th-12th and April 8th-9th. for details on how to register, call 863-763-2131 ext 1204.
Agri-Civic Center Events
If you’re a non-profit organization and have an upcoming event please send all of your information to 210 WN Park St. Suite 102, email it in at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax us at 1-888-875-1570. Thank you!