True Country WOKC
WOKC Okeechobee Brahman High School Basketball Broadcast Schedule
Monday January 6th – DOUBLE HEADER Girls @ Lake Placid 6:00pm followed by Boys @ Lake Placid 7:30.
Wednesday January 22nd Girls vs. Glades Day 6:00pm
Friday January 24th Boys vs. Westwood 7:00pm
Charles Murphy News 12/9
News Cast for December 9th:
Twenty acres of woods and palmettos burned threatening a few homes in the Bassinger area Friday. The fire was contained in a few hours with three state forestry bulldozers and help from Okeechobee County Fire rescue about a half mile north of the Cracker Trail Store.
Colonel Alan Dodd of the US Army Corps of Engineers told the 16 county Lake Okeechobee summit that they will commit the dollars to repair the Herbert Hoover dike. However they want to use the best method and will conduct a study to determine the highest risk areas. Right now they have focused on replacement of culverts around the lake. Dodd said they spent 220 million on the first 20 miles of wall and to do the entire dike would cost over 1.5 billion.
Chad Morgenthaler won the Bass Master Elite wild card tournament on Lake Okeechobee Saturday. He finished the tournament with 63 pounds and 13 ounces of bass. Jesse Tacoronte finished in second place and Shaye Baker finished third. Morgenthaler did most of his fishing at the Monkey Box. He said he was determined to stay where he knew there were fish.
A hundred floats and entrees took part in the Lighted Christmas Parade in Okeechobee Saturday. The streets were lined with spectators again this year.
Sports Cast for December 9th:
Lincoln Park rallied from a 1-0 halftime deficit and went on to defeat Okeechobee 3-1 in girls’ varsity soccer action Friday night. Alecia Santos scored the Lady Brahman goal after a free kick by Rosa Borja got loose in front of the net. Coach Sonya Smith said her team didn’t have the same fire in the second half. Smith said although the team lost by five goals to Lincoln Park last month, she didn’t think the girls could feel good about this performance.
Matthew Lanning was one of the highlights for the Brahman wrestling team as they fell to Port St. Lucie. Lanning and the lighter weights won most of the matches in the five point defeat for OHS.
Jean Alexis had 20 points to lead Jensen Beach to a 41-30 victory over Okeechobee in boys’ basketball action Friday night. The Falcons outscored Okeechobee 11-2 in a decisive third quarter.
On the sports schedule today, Yearling travels to Osceola for boys and girls basketball action this afternoon at 4:30 pm.
The Lady Brahman golf team holds their awards banquet at 6 pm.
Boy soccer hosts Lincoln Park at 7 pm.
- The Better Breathers Class is a support group for people with COPD or other respiratory related issues. Better Breathers meet the first Wednesday of each month at 5:00 p.m. in Raulerson Hospital’s In-Service Classroom.
- Spanish will soon be the most common spoken language in the United States. Practice your skills, and see the world as OHS takes a group of high school students to Spain during Spring Break 2014. If you’re nervous about speaking Spanish, no worries. We’ll be traveling with a group and private tour guide as we explore Barcelona and Madrid. We’ll see famous sites like the Sagrada Familia, walk Las Ramblas, visit park Guell and Plaza Mayor,and visit the Prado museum,just to name a few. We’ll also see an authentic Flamenco show and participate in a Flamenco lesson. For many of us it’s a once in a life time opportunity! Don’t let it pass you by!! The trip will last a total of 8 days, which includes 2 days of travel to and from Spain. Call the high school with any questions 863-462-5025.
- School out for a holiday break or teacher plan day? Here is an opportunity for supervised childcare, ages K – age 13, full pay, reduced pay, and some financial assistance. For questions, please call the camp hotline at 863-484-0202. YMCA camp is located at Sacred Heart Catholic Church’s pavilion in Okeechobee.
- Come out to Ride for the Fight’s “Bulls & Ranch Bronc Riding” on Wednesday, January 1st beginning at 2pm. Adults are just $5 dollars and children 12 and under get in FREE! This event will be at the Okeechobee Cattlemen’s Arena, across from Raulerson Hospital on 441N. FFA and Jr. Cattlemen will be serving BBQ dinners. 100% OF THE PROCEEDS STAY HERE IN OKEECHOBEE! Sponsorship opportunities are available! If you’re interested in entering the event, please call 863-634-2066 from now until December 18th, but hurry because spots are filling up fast! For more event information on how to help, sponsor, or general info, call 863-634-3971! or go to rideforthefight.com
- Quarters for a Cause are helping Jeremiah Rhoden will have an auction on Tuesday, December 10th beginning at 6:30pm at the American Legion. Wear an ugly sweater and get a special ticket. They’ll have an auction so bring your quarters, they’ll also have food available. For more information call the American Legion.
- Okeechobee Christmas Tour of Homes will be this Friday, December 13th & Saturday, December 14th from 6:00-9:00pm. Join us and check out the wonderful decorations and yummy treats as well. All donations will benefit Heroes 4 Hope (cancer support group, the B.R.A.T Club, and Hospice of Okeechobee. Homes on the tour include Matthew P. Buxton, Heroes 4 Hope support center, Bobbi Poole, Susan Pilgrim, and Michelle Smith. Tickets are $15 dollars and are available at Buxton and Bass Okeechobee Funeral home, Hospice of Okeechobee, Bobbi Poole Photography, and Heavens Treasures.
- The Chamber of Commerce & Okeechobee Mainstreet would like to invite to you to join us Monday, December 16, 2013, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM (or whenever you can get away) for a Potluck Luncheon to be held at the Chamber of Commerce. Please bring a covered dish. (Please be sure to RSVP and let us know what you are bringing) Antoinette Chamber-Director 561-718-0536 Mariah@Chamber – (863) 467-6246.
Sport Related Events
- A new football league is opening up here in Okeechobee called Okeechobee Wolverines Youth travel football and cheerleading. You can sign up for cheerleading for ages 4-15, they have practices Tuesdays and Thursdays at the softball fields across from Yearling from 6-7pm. Football signups will most likely begin in December, if you’re interested feel free to call them for more information. Any questions or comments call Alan or Leann at 863-697-0398!
*send all of your event information to Countrystore@wokc.com, fax: 1-888-875-1570, or stop by the station at 210 WN Park St. Suite 102 anytime between 9am and 4:30pm!