True Country WOKC
Charles Murphy News 3/5
News Cast for March 5th:
In the courts, 32 year old Raymond Izquierdo, a sex offender from Okeechobee pled no contest to charges he raped a woman at gunpoint at an Asian Massage business in Naples using a semi automatic rifle. He will be sentenced April 20th for charges of robbery with a firearm or deadly weapon, kidnapping, and sexual battery with the use of a deadly weapon. Two other felonies were dropped.
28 year old William Bailey was sentenced to 23 days in jail for affrady. He wore a pillow over his head to look like a KKK member at the county jail and upset a black male inmate. Bailey was treated for injuries at Raulerson Hospital.
Marijuana possession charges were dropped against former school bus driver, 41 year old Sheila Goolsby, who lost her job for the arrest. Authorities first dropped a felony to a misdemeanor and now dropped all charges in her case.
Among arrests, a 16 year old boy charged with lewd and lascivious battery on a child under 16.
The youth allegedly engaged in improper behavior with the child on February 16th. He was taken to the Fort Pierce Juvenile Detention Center.
Okeechobee schools plans to vote on a new policy that bans all tobacco use on campus next week. The board voted 3-2 at last month’s meeting to develop the plan for their review. Jill Holcomb was a supporter of the tobacco ban. She said she is concerned about the dangers of second hand smoke. Holcomb said she doubts it’ll hurt the district’s ability to attract high quality teachers.
Sports Cast for March 5th:
Autumn Green pitched a strong game and Emily Shepard and Kiara Moscrip hit homeruns to lead Vero Beach to a 6-3 victory over Okeechobee in girls softball action Wednesday night.
Shepards Home run and Moscrips RBI double gave the Lady Indians the lead in the fourth and they added on in the late innings.
Megan Hargraves and Jordan Lawlis had RBI singles for Okeechobee.
Coach Mary Huff said the team didn’t play very well in this game. Okeechobee scored all their runs in a three run sixth.
Huff said a couple of errors which gave the Indians runs hurt her team.
Okeechobee is now 7-1-1 on the season.
On the sports schedule today OHS wrestlers continue at the regional tournament at Jensen Beach this afternoon.
- Habitat for Humanity is now open here in Okeechobee! They’re located at 1321 HWY 70E in the Old Apple Crate building. Open Monday through Friday 9-5. Accepting donations of any kind except clothes! Call for more information at 863-763-1371, volunteers are always needed!
- K9 Resque is in need of volunteers for both the rescue and the pet food pantry, and we are also are looking for good loving foster homes for our dogs, if interested please call 863-824-5373
- A meeting of the “Stroke Support Group” will be held at the Heritage Assisted Living Facility on the 2nd Wednesday of every month at 6:00pm. This is a good chance to talk to others about their experience. Light refreshments will be available, for more information phone the Heritage at 863-763-1700 or 863-634-8412.
- Are your children tired of ordinary sports? Are you looking for a safe and fun activity for them? Want to compete like an Olympic Champion? Here is the opportunity you’ve been waiting for – WRESTLING with the OKEECHOBEE WRESTLING CLUB! Come see what this fun and competitive sport is all about, registration is March 5th at 6:00 at the O.H.S. Gym for ages 5-18. Practice begins March 8. Elementary practices Tuesday and Thursday from 6:00-7:00 Middle and High School practice Tuesday and Thursday from 7:00-8:00. Cost is $40.00 per wrestler. For more information call Bruce Jahner at 634-9411
- The Okeechobee County Fair begins on March 10 – 15, 2015. We have got some very unique things going at the Fair. Come and race your favorite locally sponsored race car at Fast Action sports. Do you want to ride a thrilling helicopter ride, we have rides each day. Great food ( Steak tips are back again along with those great big donuts), so come and support the Fair.
- The Chamber of Commerce will hold its monthly Chamber Power Networking Breakfast on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 Starting at 7:00 AM and concluding at 9:00 AM at MidFlorida Credit Union.This is an excellent opportunity to get to know your local business people and build lasting relationships in a professional environment. Want to be this months Business Spotlight bring your business card to enter!
- The Concealed Weapon Permit class will be conducted on Thursday evening March 19 , 2015 beginning at 7 PM at the Chamber.The class will last approximately two hours.Range qualification will take place on Saturday March 21, 2015.You will be instructed where to meet on Saturday during the Thursday evening class.You may use your own weapon or you may use the weapon we provide you during qualification. The costs of the class is $40.00 which must be paid in advance.You may sign up by clicking on register online.You may pay for the class online with a credit card or stop by the Chamber and pay for the class with a check or cash.Those people who sign up and do not pay in advance will not be guaranteed a seat in the class.
- The Chamber of Commerce will hold its monthly Evening Networking Social the “Business After Hours from 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM on Tuesday,March 24, 2015! This is an excellent opportunity to get to know your local business people and build lasting relationships in a professional environment. The host this month is The Lounge at Sacred Sanctuary.
- March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness month. Join Raulerson Hospital and guest speaker, Gastroenterologist Dr. Vikram Tarugu to learn about screenings, prevention and treatment at Dine with the Doctor on Tuesday, March 31st. Dinner is at 4:30 p.m. ($5) and the free lecture begins at 5:00 p.m. Please RSVP to 763-9228.
Sport Related Events
- Papa Johns is presenting their weekly fundraiser every Thursday when you order from Papa John’s they’ll donate 10% of your total order to the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band. Valid for carry out or delivery, you can also order online by using the PROMO CODE OCSD2014. Be sure to mention that you are a supporter of the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band when you are placing an order.