True Country WOKC
Zack Thomas Trivia Contest for Big Game Day Prize Packs-Big Game Day Party
Sunday, Feb 1st, 2015 at Seminole Casino Brighton
“Don’t miss the Big Game Day Party on Sunday, February 1st at Seminole Casino Brighton!
Study up on your Zach Thomas Trivia! You could win Big Game Day Prize Pack, to include a meet and greet with former NFL/Miami Dolphin Linebacker, Zach Thomas, plus free food for the winner and their guest at Seminole Casino Brighton during their Big Game Day Party on Sunday.
Listen to WOKC’s Morning Show with Billy Dean for your chance to win a Big Game Day Party Prize Pack!
Each weekday, beginning Monday, January 26th through Friday, January 30th , Billy Dean will be asking trivia question about Zach Thomas with multiple choice answers. Example: “What college did Zach Thomas attend? A) Texas Christian University B) Texas A & M C) North Texas State D) Texas Tech University E) University of Texas”.
The first caller to 467-1570 and 467-1009 to correctly answer the Zach Thomas Trivia question wins…it’s just that easy!
Must be 18 or older to win, no purchase necessary. One winner per family.
Contest runs 1-26-15/1-30-15, 1 prize pack given away per day in morning drive, 7a-11a
From your favorite radio station, 100.9FM and AM 1570 WOKC, Okeechobee’s True Country!”
Seminole Casino Brighton has more ways to win, with high stakes bingo, the hottest slots and the friendliest high-limit poker!”
Charles Murphy News 1/29
News Cast for January 29th:
The wife of a man on trial for attempted murder charges says she felt her husband was at her home that night to kill her. Ellie Fonseca recalled in detail the incident last March 23rd at the estranged couple’s residence in Okeechobee. The machete attack injured her fingers, arms, hands, and knee; she also suffered a skull fracture and other broken bones. She said her sons were able to break down the locked bedroom door and chase off her husband, Jose Fonseca Hernandez. Fonseca said she asked God to forgive her husband but still wants him to be punished for the injuries she suffered. Prosecutors allege Fonseca was motivated by jealousy because his wife had found another man, he had seen the two together the day before at a Whispering Pines convenience store.
An Okeechobee late last night found Jose Fonseca Hernandez guilty of attempted voluntary manslaughter, a lesser charge than the attempted first degree murder he was charged with.
Also in the courts, 50 year old Scott Carnley was sentenced to one year in the county jail for battery charges. An 11 year old girl claimed Carnley touched her inappropriately several years ago.
The Okeechobee county planning board agreed to allow Family Dollar stores at 1951 441 south east and 1984 highway 70 west to sell wine. They also approved a special exception to allow Acme Outdoors Company to add 12 cabins and 15 RV sites to their outdoor gun club and shooting range at 7055 North East 80th Avenue after a public hearing this week.
The Florida league of Cities honored Okeechobee city mayor Jim Kirk with a 25 year service award this month.
Sports Cast for January 29th:
OHS girls’ basketball season ends with a 55-26 loss to South Fork at the district tournament last night.
South Fork broke loose from a nine point halftime lead to the easy victory and improves to (16-8). Okeechobee finishes the season at (6-15).
Sebastian River slips by Okeechobee in high school wrestling last night 41-38. Okeechobee got pin fall victories from Alan Pineiro, Sebastian Fulleda, Drayton Billie and Eric Gaitan. Pineiro defeated Jerry Hill by pin, and led 14-2 at the time. Pinerio, a freshman, has been wrestling since third grade, and caught his opponent with a pit throw.
Senior Brandon Shockley defeated Brice Hepp 10-1 in the 1 hundred and 70 pound weight division. He says you get butterflies when you wrestle at home but enjoyed a strength advantage over his opponent.
Brahman Coach Bruce Jahner said this was not the team he had been watching for the past month. He says keeping the kids motivated during a five month season is difficult.
On the sports schedule today, OHS girls’ softball opens the season with a preseason classic at Palm Beach Gardens, taking on Seminole Ridge at 7 pm. Moore Haven boys’ basketball will host Seminole Ridge tonight at 7 pm. The OHS Lady Brahman golf team has their awards banquet tonight at 6 pm at Beef O’Brady’s.
FOR MORE NEWS CLICK ON THE LOCAL NEWS LINK!
- Habitat for Humanity is now open here in Okeechobee! They’re located at 1321 HWY 70E in the Old Apple Crate building. Open Monday through Friday 9-5. Accepting donations of any kind except clothes! Call for more information at 863-763-1371, volunteers are always needed!
- K9 Resque is in need of volunteers for both the rescue and the pet food pantry, and we are also are looking for good loving foster homes for our dogs, if interested please call 863-824-5373
- Bits and Spurs 4-H is looking for young riders ages 8 – 18 to join the Bits and Spurs Drill Team. We already have 3 shows to perform in beginning in January. Our group rides every Tuesday and Thursday night at My Sin Ranch from 6 – 8 pm, weather permitting. All levels of riders are welcome to come join our 4-H Club. This is a fun way to get some ride time on your horse and form great friendships with people who LOVE horses. Please call Laura for more information, 863-801-3599.
- The Gathering hosts “Joy in the Mourning” a grief support group and bible study for anyone who has lost a loved one. The event is every Tuesday at 2pm at the Gathering located at 1735 SW 24th Ave. For more info call Gale @ 863-623-8504.
- The Ribbon Run will be on February 21st at the Okeechobee County Agri-Civic Center. This run is for ALL RIBBONS! All money will go toward assisting those in need in our area. This is a timed 5K that will provide you the opportunity to run or walk wearing the ribbon you support. For Okeechobee is a non-profit organization where every dollar raised stays here in Okeechobee. For more info go to www.ForOkeechobee.org or look for them on Facebook!
- MARK YOUR CALENDARS…..We have such a GREAT turn out last year we are doing it again!!!! If you love to shop, you don’t want to miss the Cupid’s Corner holiday shopping event on Saturday February 7, 2015 at the Holiday Inn Express. There will be a Personal Shopper available to assist those who are not sure what to get that special person. Looking for vendors please contact Antoinette @ the Chamber of Commerce 863-467-6246 or cell phone 561-718-0536. Sign up to be a vendor today! Mail your info to 55 S Parrott Ave. Okeechobee FL, 34974
Sport Related Events
- Papa Johns is presenting their weekly fundraiser every Thursday when you order from Papa John’s they’ll donate 10% of your total order to the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band. Valid for carry out or delivery, you can also order online by using the PROMO CODE OCSD2014. Be sure to mention that you are a supporter of the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band when you are placing an order.
- Paddock Farms is “driving on” ! Learn how to drive your horse, racing, obstacles and more! Paddock Farms will be available every weekend after to teach you about how to drive your horse. Must be 18 years of age or older, all horses brought to the Paddock Farms must have a negative coggins test and you will be asked to sign a waiver. Not sure if your horse could race? You will have the option to have your horse evaluated. Don’t have a horse? No problem, they’ll provide them for you. No experience is necessary. No horse? No harness? No problem! Call Nancy at 863-634-1440 or 863-634-1438 for more information.