True Country WOKC
News Cast for March 23rd:
Among arrests, 23 year old Serafin Espinoza Ruiz was charged with fleeing and eluding police, and resisting arrest. City cops say he was doing donuts in a Mitsubishi sedan outside the McDonalds on North East Park Street Wednesday at 1:30 in the morning. The suspect fled the scene and tried to flee on foot in an alley between North East 5th And 6th Avenues, jumping through several back yard fences.
51 year old Brian Miggins of Buckhead Ridge was charged with two counts of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon after allegedly stabbing two people on Lake Drive West Tuesday.
30 year old Lenard White was charged with DUI, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, grand theft firearm, and resisting arrest after a chase with Glades County deputies in Moore Haven.
It originally started as a speeding violation and ended in a short foot chase. A stolen handgun out of Pasco county and close to 2 thousand dollars in cash was seized along with a small amount of marijuana. White has five previous felony convictions.
Okeechobee city council:
- Approved a six month moratorium on medical marijuana related facilities to give the state legislature time to develop regulations on the new industry.
- Agreed to spend 2 thousand dollars to help with the costs of historical markers being pursued for the Okeechobee battlefield park by the Daughters of the American Revolution.
- Scheduled a workshop meeting with the county commission and okeechobee utility authority board on March 30th at 6 pm at the US 98 civic center.
- Honored police patrolman Cesar Romero for 10 years of service to the city.
- Reappointed Karyne Brass and Les McCreary as regular members of the Planning Board and Bobby Keefe as an alternate member.
Okeechobee County commissioners Thursday:
- issued the Florida’s Hometown USA Program, Inc. proclamation to Ms. Shelby Kirton in recognition of her commitment in volunteer work and service throughout our community.
- Proclaimed National Library week from April 9th through the 15th.
- Confirmed the appointment of Kelly Conrad as the New County Finance Director
- Applied for a US department of justice for a grant of up to 3 hundred thousand dollars to start a mental health court. The county would commit 75 thousand dollars over two years if they receive the grant. One of the goals is to save the taxpayers money on mentally ill people who are incarcerated in the county jail.
- Agreed to spend 4 hundred and 2 thousand dollars to repair 25 sites on the South West Drainage project and South West 3rd Terrace
- Expressed concerns over damage to county roads in Bet Her Acres by water main work.
Sports cast for March 23rd:
Okeechobee softball feeling good after a run rule victory over Jensen Beach this week. Coach Mary Huff says the first time the teams played Okeechobee nearly blew a seven run lead and she didn’t want a repeat.
That tournament begins tomorrow in Bartow. Freshman pitcher Haley Underhill struck out seven and allowed just two hits. She also worked out of jam in the third and admits she’s used to high pressure situations. Jill Crosby led the offense with a double, homerun and three RBI. She says she tried to be patient at the plate
East Lee County rallied to defeat Moore Haven 6-5 in high school baseball Wednesday.
Vincent Leiba had two hits and two RBI for Moore Haven.
OHS baseball hosts Sebring tonight at 7 pm.
OHS JV baseball visits Fort Pierce Central this afternoon at 4 pm
Okeechobee’s Upcoming Events 3-20-17
- K9 Resque is in need of volunteers for both the rescue and the pet food pantry, and we are also are looking for good loving foster homes for our dogs, if interested please call 863-824-5373
- The Oasis Lounge at the Okeechobee Shrine Club invites your friends and neighbors to meet you for a quick get together or spend some time and enjoy catching up from a busy week. The Oasis Lounge offers an intimate and friendly setting to relax and unwind every Friday and Saturday evening from 5pm to 10pm. The Lounge is always open to the public except during times of private leases of the Club. For information contact Kip Gardner at (863)357-0427 or the Okeechobee Shrine Club at (863)763-3378
- Okeechobee Discount Drugs in partnership with Project Response offers free HIV testing every Monday from 11am-3pm. All tests are confidential and the results take 15mins. Know your status and stop by Okeechobee Discount Drugs located at 203 S.W. Park Street for your free test!