True Country WOKC
Thanks for listening to your choice for hometown country music!
Construction begins at main light.
SR 70 from NW/SW 4th Avenue to NE/SE 3rd Avenue: Construction project: This project improves the intersection at US 441. Crews are installing erosion control, clearing the right of way and beginning signal work. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures from Sunday, September 21, to Friday, September 26 from 8 p.m. to 4 a.m. while workers install barrier wall and temporary striping, weather permitting. Observe posted speed limits, look out for pedestrians and bicyclists, and drive with caution in the construction zone. During this project, crews will add turn lanes, widen and resurface the roadway, improve drainage, replace traffic signals and build curb, gutter, and sidewalk. Estimated completion is summer 2015. The contractor is Ranger Construction Industries, Inc.
Sports Schedule for the week of September 22nd:
Moore Haven volleyball at Canterbury at Evangelical Christian
Girls golf at Port St. Lucie at the Saints CC 3:30 pm
OHS bowling at South Fork 3:30 pm
OHS swimming home against John Carroll and Pine School 5:30 pm
Boys golf at South Fork at Hammock Creek at 3:30 pm
Moore Haven JV volleyball at Brighton Charter School 4:30 pm
Yearling at Storm Grove volleyball and soccer 4:30 pm
Ocseola hosts Sebastian Middle volleyball and soccer 4:30 pm
JV football hosts Sebastian River at 6 pm
OHS boys golf at Fort Pierce Central at Indian Hills 3:30 pm
Clewiston volleyball at Brighton Charter School 5 pm
OHS swimming host PSL for senior night 5:30 pm
OHS volleyball at Sebring 7:30 pm
OHS football hosts Heritage Palm Bay 7 pm
Moore Haven Terriers football host Marco Island Academy 7:30 pm
OHS cross country at Fleet Feet Invitational at South Fork High School
OYFL teams at Lake Wales 9 am
Charles Murphy News 9/23
News Cast for September 23rd:
Andrew Wheeler was ordered held without bond until trial at a bond reduction hearing Monday. The accused assaulter of an autistic child had wanted a bond reduction from 220 thousand. The state attorney argued that Wheeler had failed on probation and after a stint in juvenile prison and in adult prison, to live a law abiding life, and didn’t deserve any more chances. Prosecutor Ashley Albright said he intended to seek prison release reoffender status on Wheeler which means he could spend 30 years behind bars. Wheelers defense attorney claimed this was just a fight among teenagers that had been exploited by the media to gain ratings. He said Wheeler has always showed up for court dates and was not a risk to the community. He asked Wheeler questions about GPS monitoring
For a copy of the hearing, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Among arrests, 19 year old Lenorth King was charged with battery on a fellow inmate at the county jail. King allegedly stole the victims’ pillow and then walloped him a few times when he tried to retrieve it.
A Change of plea was delayed in the Michael Exantus first degree murder case, he is charged with shooting to death Antone McQueen Hill in Douglas Park some 15 months ago. The hearing was rescheduled for November 14th.
A sobriety checkpoint was conducted by the Okeechobee County Sheriff’s Office, along with members of the Okeechobee City Police Department and Florida Highway Patrol, on Friday, September 19, 2014 from 9:00 p.m. until 11:00 p.m. in the 500 block of Highway 70 East in Okeechobee. In all, 190 vehicles passed through the zone. There was one arrest for DUI; three misdemeanor drug arrests; one arrest for a separate criminal offense; Twelve citations for non-moving/moving offenses; ten warnings issued; one Driving While License Suspended citation; two criminal citations for no valid driver’s license; three criminal citations issued for Possession of Marijuana Under (20) Grams, Possession of Drug Paraphernalia and Expired Tag for More than a Year; three warnings issued for various offenses and two citations issued for moving related offenses.
Sports Cast for September 23rd:
Osceola broke a long losing streak to Yearling with a 25-23 and 25-7 victory over the Lady Bulls at the Warriors gym Monday for their first win of the year. Alexi Morgan had six aces and two kills and Aubrey Hatway had four kills one assist and one block to lead the Warriors.
Hatway says the squad really focused and wanted to beat their cross town rivals.
Coach Lauren Throop, who played at Osceola, couldn’t recall when Osceola had last beaten Yearling, she said this performance came almost out of the blue. An ace by Mattie Garcia helped Osceola win the back and forth first game, which neither team led by more than three points. Yearling never threatened in the second game.
The soccer match was postponed until October due to rain.
On the sports schedule today, Moore Haven volleyball meets Canterbury at 7:30 pm, girls golf visits Port St. Lucie at the Saints Country Club, OHS bowlers visit South Fork, OHS swimmers hold a tri match at the sports complex against John Carroll and the Pine School at 5:30 pm, boys golf visits south Fork at Hammock Creek country club at 3:30 pm.
FMA joins other medical groups in opposition to Amendment 2 Florida physicians strongly reject marijuana question
USF Researchers to Announce Significant Development in DNA Testing/Identification Effort at Dozier School for Boys
FOR MORE NEWS CLICK ON THE LOCAL NEWS LINK!
Blood Drives for September:
Blood Drives for September:
- Thurs., Sept. 25 – IRSC Campus, 3 – 8
- Sat., Sun., Sept. 27, 28 – Wal Mart, 11 – 4
- Habitat for Humanity is currently looking for someone to write grants for them. They are also looking for anyone who would like to donate furniture, household items, building supplies, etc. They have moved to the building 2 blocks west of W&W Lumber. For more information, stop by or call 863-634-1686.
- 4-H is starting back for the Klever K Nines. They’re looking forward to seeing lots of new and familiar faces this year. They have lot of new and exciting things coming up. If your child would like to join please contact Natalie Travers at 772 -919-5893. For those of you in the club last year the awards banquet is coming up fast, please get with me and the extension office to get your tickets.
- K9 Resque is in need of volunteers for both the rescue and the pet food pantry, and we are also are looking for good loving foster homes for our dogs, if interested please call 863-824-5373
- A meeting of the “Stroke Support Group” will be held at the Heritage Assisted Living Facility on the 2nd Wednesday of every month at 6:00pm. This is a good chance to talk to others about their experience. Light refreshments will be available, for more information phone the Heritage at 863-763-1700 or 863-634-8412.
- The Okeechobee Adventist Christian School is having their annual Apple Fundraiser. If you love fresh-picked, direct from the orchard apples, then these Michigan apples are for you! Please call Linda @ 863-610-0165 for details.
- The Gathering hosts “Joy in the Mourning” a grief support group and bibile study for anyone who has lost a loved one. The event is every Tuesday at 2pm at the Gathering located at 1735 SW 24th Ave. For more info call Gale @ 863-623-8504.
- The Okeechobee Educational Foundation invites you to attend the annual “Achieving Excellence” luncheon buffet. This is our opportunity to thank donors for their generosity and share the good works that are happening in the community because of the donations. I hope you have RSVP’d for the luncheon, if not, don’t delay….we would like to save a place for you. We hope you will join us on Wednesday, September 24, 12:00, at the Methodist Church fellowship hall.
- The Okeechobee Model Airplane Club and the Okeechobee RC Racing Club are jointly sponsoring a parking lot swap meet this Saturday 9/27/14 at Big Lake Hobbies, 110 SW 14th Street for anything Radio Control. Sellers are expected to arrive by 8AM and stay most of the morning. This is a free event, so if you have anything RC to sell, bring it out. If you are looking to get into Radio Control Sports this is a great opportunity to get some great deals to get you started. Members of both clubs will be on hand to answer your questions and introduce you to the hobby, so stop by and meet our members. For more information, please call 863-357-3592
- On September 28th 2014, we will host a Law Enforcement Appreciation Day here at the church. We welcome Maj. (Ret) Marvin Pittman as our guest speaker. Major Pittman is the Senior Chaplain of the Polk County Sheriff’s office Chaplaincy Corp. He is also the current president of the Florida Baptist State Board of Missions. This will be a service geared for our law enforcement community, there will be a special gift for all law enforcement personnel. The service will be immediately followed with a church picnic for all in attendance. Sunday School will start at 9:45 am, our Worship Service will begin at 10:45 am.
- Dine with the Doctor, Sepsis is Serious! Raulerson Hospital Cafeteria on Tuesday, September 30th Dinner: 4:30 p.m. ($5) Lecture: 5:00 p.m. (free) to RSVP: 763-9228
Sport Related Events
- Papa Johns is presenting their weekly fundraiser every Thursday when you order from Papa John’s they’ll donate 10% of your total order to the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band. Valid for carry out or delivery, you can also order online by using the PROMO CODE OCSD2014. Be sure to mention that you are a supporter of the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band when you are placing an order.
- Paddock Farms is “driving on” ! Learn how to drive your horse, racing, obstacles and more! Paddock Farms will be available every weekend after to teach you about how to drive your horse. Must be 18 years of age or older, all horses brought to the Paddock Farms must have a negative coggins test and you will be asked to sign a waiver. Not sure if your horse could race? You will have the option to have your horse evaluated. Don’t have a horse? No problem, they’ll provide them for you. No experience is necessary. No horse? No harness? No problem! Call Nancy at 863-634-1440 or 863-634-1438 for more information.
- OHS Boys Soccer Cornhole Tournament Fundraiser on Saturday, September 27th, 2 Man Teams, $25 Per Player, at the Yearling Middle School Gymnasium at 9am. Call Lonnie Sears for details 863-634-1334
- Okeechobee residents are participating in the American Heart Association’s 2014 Palm Beach Heart Walk on Sep 27, 2014. By joining our team, you can! If not; please consider a donation♡ Register online at: http://s.heartwalk.org/T5JNcW Together, we can make a difference. You don’t have to join alone. Please feel free to forward this email to anyone else who may want to raise funds and make a difference in our community. Thank you, in advance, for your participation.
Agri-Civic Center Events
- Friday 9/26/14, Miss Rodeo Florida Horsemanship Competition, 8:30 AM, Miss Rodeo Florida Pageant is open to Florida girls wishing to promote the great sport of Rodeo. Queens attend rodeos, parades, community events and speak to schools educating others about the sport of rodeo. Miss Rodeo Florida will represent our state at the Miss Rodeo America Pageant in Las Vegas, NevadaFriday 9/26/14-9/28/14 Martha Josey Barrel Racing & Horsemanship Clinic, Through a weekend of barrel racing and pole bending instruction given by experienced riders and instructors. Perfect for beginners or experienced riders. Learn how to start your new prospect or put more confidence and snappy turns in your finished horse.
If you’re a non-profit organization and have an upcoming event please send all of your information to 210 WN Park St. Suite 102, email it in at email@example.com or fax us at 1-888-875-1570. Thank you!