True Country WOKC
WOKC Okeechobee’s True Country OHS 2014 Baseball Broadcast Schedule
Friday March 14th – OHS vs Westwood 7:00pm
Saturday March 22nd OHS vs St. Albans Day 5pm
Tuesday March 25th – OHS vs. Sebring 7pm
Friday March 28th – OHS @ Avon Park 7pm
Thursday April 3rd – OHS vs Centennial * At Tradition Field in PSL 3pm
Tuesday April 8th – OHS @ Jensen Beach 7:00pm
Monday April 14th – OHS vs Martin County 7pm
Wednesday April 16th – OHS vs Lincoln Park Academy *At Tradition Field 3pm
Friday April 18th – OHS vs Arcadia – DeSoto
Charles Murphy News 3/12
News Cast for March 12th:
The Okeechobee school board approved a separation agreement with Yearling Middle School teacher Catherine Jones, who resigned her teaching position Monday. Superintendent of Schools Ken Kenworthy said it is good to get the issue behind the board. Jones was suspected of being intoxicated while teaching school in January.
The Glades County Commission approved a proclamation of appreciation for late commissioner Dennis Griffin. His wife Beth and daughter Nancy accepted the proclamation that honors Griffin for his life and his contributions to the community. They also made a formal request with the Florida legislature to help fund a job training center planned at the Glades County Business Park. They also paid American Earth movers 95 thousand dollars to settle their dispute over the Harney Pond dredging project.
Among arrests, a 39 year old Okeechobee man was charged with sexual battery on a 16 year old his family had befriended. The victim reportedly told a school resource officer that they had sex on two occasions and had exchanged text messages of a sexual content.
A 24 year old Okeechobee man charged with home invasion robbery with a firearm for the Treasure Island robbery on south East 26th Street late Sunday. Tim Williams is accused of shooting Leon Cotton in the right leg during the robbery with an ARF 15 rifle for not getting on the ground as ordered.
A pedestrian and state worker, 24 year old Ryan Wilson of Arcadia, survived serious injury after being struck by a truck on the Kissimmee River bridge during a road construction project on route 78 Monday. The driver, 32, year old Kevin Estes was unhurt and was cited.
About 15 students were unhurt after their school bus was rear ended on the railroad tracks in the 19 hundred block of North West 9th Street. 31 year old Katie Greene of Moore Haven was cited.
Sports Cast for March 12th:
Tyler Anshaw out dueled Elijah Finney to lead Port St. Lucie to a 3-1 victory over Okeechobee last night in high school baseball at OHS. A two run rally in the sixth was the difference for the Jaguars. Coach Tony Malizia said he always expects a close game when he plays at Okeechobee. Enrique Esquivel helped the rally as he was hit by a pitch. He will play at Indian River State college next year. He said the team was down after a recent loss and wanted this win. Brahman Coach Eric Kindell praised his team and said he felt his team can compete with Port St. Lucie. He said Finney has given his chance to win.
Flag football lost to Martin County last night 13-7. The junior varsity prevailed 14-12.
On the sports schedule tonight, softball will play a makeup game with Fort Pierce Westwood at 5 pm.
The tennis teams travel to Lincoln Park at 3:30 pm.
The OHS wrestling awards banquet is tonight at the high school cafeteria at 6 pm.
Gov. Scott: Cancer Treatment Centers of America® Selects Boca Raton as Site for New Corporate Headquarters
Governor Rick Scott Announces Historic Funding for Public Schools, State Colleges and State Universities in “It’s Your Money Tax Cut Budget”
Florida Man Arrested, Charged In New Jersey With Sale Of Deadly Toxin On Underground Online Marketplace
- The Better Breathers Class is a support group for people with COPD or other respiratory related issues. Better Breathers meet the first Wednesday of each month at 5:00 p.m. in Raulerson Hospital’s In-Service Classroom.
- A meeting of the “Stroke Support Group” will be held at the Heritage Assisted Living Facility on the 2nd Wednesday of every month at 6:00pm. This is a good chance to talk to others about their experience. Light refreshments will be available, for more information phone the Heritage at 863-763-1700 or 863-634-8412.
- School out for a holiday break or teacher plan day? Here is an opportunity for supervised childcare, ages K – age 13, full pay, reduced pay, and some financial assistance. For questions, please call the camp hotline at 863-484-0202. YMCA camp is located at Sacred Heart Catholic Church’s pavilion in Okeechobee.
- The Economic Opportunities Council of Indian River County is accepting applications for Northside Head Start and VPK. Children must have been born before September 2, 2010. Birth Certificate and social security number for the child applying and proof of family income is required. For more information call the Northside Head Start Office, 863-357-8677 for an appointment and additional information. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.
- “Joy in the Mourning” is a grief support group and bible study for anyone who has lost a loved one through death or divorce. All are welcome to attend; the support group will meet every Monday at 6pm and Tuesday at 2pm at the Gathering, 1735 SW 24th Ave. For more information contact Gale at 863-634-8504.
- Okeechobee Christian Academy (OCA) will be collecting Easter basket items such as; individually wrapped candy, snacks, toys, small stuffed animals, plastic eggs, books, crayons, puzzles, bubbles and hygiene products. Monetary donations will also be welcomed and will be used to purchase items that are needed. This year, our goal is to make 175 Easter baskets for children right here in Okeechobee County who may not otherwise receive a basket. The Waste Management and the B.R.A.T. Club have agreed to donate all of the baskets to get us started; now we need your help to fill them! Donations can be dropped off at American Drilling Services, The Brown Cow Sweetery, The 1-Stop Party Shop, The Pregnancy Center of Okeechobee, WOKC, The Okeechobee City Police Department, The Okeechobee County Sheriff’s Department, Wemmer Orthodontics, Everglades Pediatric Dentistry, Bank of America, Centerstate Bank, Seacoast National Bank, Suntrust Bank, TD Bank, Teez 2 Pleez and Okeechobee Christian Academy. During the week before Easter, the students at Okeechobee Christian Academy student body will assemble each basket. The finished baskets will be donated to Communities In Schools who will distribute the baskets to children in Okeechobee County. This is a great opportunity to share joy of Easter with then children in our community. Please call Sarah if you would like more information about donating (863) 634-2276. For more information on Communities In Schools, please call Jill at (863) 462-5125 Ext.128
- The Sacred Hearth Catholic Church is hosting a fish dinner on Friday, March 14th, 21st and 28th as well as on April 4th and 11th from 4:00pm to 7:00pm at 701 SW 6th St. You can get your fish baked or fried and includes potatoes, coleslaw, beverage and dessert for $8 dollars/adults and $4 dollars/children. All proceeds go towards the church, for more info call 863-763-3727.
- The First United Methodist Church is holding a smoked chicken dinner on Friday, March 14th from 11am to 1pm (take out only) or from 4pm to 6:30pm (dine in or take out). The menu is 1/4th of a chicken, coleslaw, baked beans, roll and dessert for an $8 dollar donation. Tickets are available at the church or you can fax orders in to 863-763-2481 by Thursday and include contact name, phone number and address to deliver 10 orders or more.
- Indian River State College is holding a Cash for College event at all campuses on Saturday, March 15th from 11am to 2pm. At the Okeechobee campus, the event will be held in the Williamson Center classroom number C102. Those attending will receive help with applying for FASFA, they’ll need to bring their 2012/2013 tax return and W2 forms, dependent students must bring parents’ W2 and tax returns. For more information call the IRSC Call Center at 1-866-792-4772 or visit irsc.edu.
- The Okeechobee Missionary Baptist Church is having a homecoming celebration on Sunday, March 16th with guest speaker Bro. Kerry Beaty. Sunday school starts at 9:45am, Worship Service at 10:45am and Dinner On The Grounds after worship. The church is located at 1302 SW 32nd St. Nursery is provided for children 4 and under. If you can have questions call 863-763-8945 or 863-801-1297.
- Buckhead Ridge will hold their monthly breakfast on Sunday MARCH 16, 2014 form 9am to 11am. We will have biscuits, gravy, home fries, sausage patties, bacon, eggs, juice, coffee for a donation of $5.00. This event will be open to the public so please join us. For additional information please call our Post at 467-2882.
Sport Related Events
If you’re a non-profit organization and have an upcoming event please send all of your information to 210 WN Park St. Suite 102, email it in at email@example.com or fax us at 1-888-875-1570. Thank you!