True Country WOKC
Thank you for listening to WOKC Okeechobee’s True Country!
Charles Murphy News 7/30
News Cast for July 30th:
Hospitals are becoming safer according to the Leapfrog group in their annual hospital safety score. Okeechobee’s Raulerson hospital received an A grade this year, compared to a C in the spring of 2013. Spokesperson Erica Mobley says hospitals are judged on 28 safety categories and after surgery care of patients is important. Mobley said Raulerson has made a lot of improvements. They also made improvements in the nursing workforce, teamwork and training to prevent safety errors. Raulerson also scored high on ICU physician staffing, medications, in Florida 38 percent of hospitals received an A.
Among arrests, DNA from a Chicago Bulls cap led Glades County deputies to an armed robber this month. 27 year old Tony Tobias was linked to an armed robbery of the BP station in Moore Haven as deputies recovered the cap the suspect was wearing near the crime scene at the abandoned Glades motel. Tobias faces charges of armed robbery and grand theft from the incident last May 23rd.
24 year old Megan Jones of Okeechobee was charged with grand theft auto in Lakeport after a single vehicle accident in Glades County.
In the courts, 52 year old William Boyer pled no contest to four petit theft charges for the alleged theft of cattle in St. Lucie County. He received 2 hundred and 66 days in the county jail. He allegedly sold the cattle for 6 hundred dollars to an Okeechobee man. It’s also alleged Boyer leased cattle pasture he didn’t own and received 35 hundred dollars. St. Lucie deputies said at one point 13 cows and 36 calves were missing in the case.
Sports Cast for July 30th:
Lexi Ward was named the defensive most valuable player for Okeechobee high school softball this past year.
She was also honored for having a season long 11 game hit streak for the team. Ward said overall the team had a solid 2014. Ward wants to have a big senior year this coming season and wants the team to return to the post season. She said it was sad to see a great group of seniors leave. Ward batted third in the lineup for much of the season and felt she was protected well by cleanup hitter Danyelle Sheffield.
On defense she studies the game and positioning to be in the right place at the right time.
She continues to play travel ball tournaments throughout the summer and also will be a key player on the volleyball team this year.
FOR MORE NEWS CLICK ON THE LOCAL NEWS LINK!
****Open House for the start of the 2014-2015 school year will be held on Thursday, August 14, 2014. In order to help parents who have children in more than one school within the district, times will be staggered:
- Elementary Schools will be open from 5 PM to 7 PM
- Middle Schools will be open from 6 PM to 8 PM
- Okeechobee Achievement Academy will be open from 6 PM to 8 PM
- Okeechobee High School and Okeechobee Freshman Campus will be open from 7 PM to 9 PM
- A meeting of the “Stroke Support Group” will be held at the Heritage Assisted Living Facility on the 2nd Wednesday of every month at 6:00pm. This is a good chance to talk to others about their experience. Light refreshments will be available, for more information phone the Heritage at 863-763-1700 or 863-634-8412.
- The Brahma Bull Restaurant and Lounge is hosting a Christmas in July throughout the entire month of July. They’ll be accepting clothes unwrapped educational toy, books or money donation for children 13 years of age and under. They’re also looking for canned goods or non-perishable items for Big Lake Missions Outreach. All proceeds will remain in Okeechobee. Brahma Bull is located at 2405 HWY 441 SE.
- Youth Talent Show Saturday, August 2nd 6 pm Free will offering to the Youth Okeechobee Church of God Pastor: Mark Smith Phone (863) 763-4127
- Join us at Raulerson Hospital to learn about diabetic cooking ideas with our Executive Chef Ron Corrado. Wednesday, August 6th at 5:30 p.m. –Raulerson Hospital Cafeteria Learn new recipes and even sample some of the creations. There is no fee to participate. Space is limited. RSVP: 763-9228.
- Okeechobee Chamber of Commerce’s Power Networking Breakfast on August 12, 2014 will be held @ The Brown Cow Sweetery from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
Sport Related Events
- OCRA Fall Baseball/Softball sign ups will be held on Saturday, August 9th, 16th, and 23rd at the Sports Complex. The cost is $50 dollars per child and they have to be between 8-12 by May 1st. Looking for sponsors and coaches as well. For more info call Mickey @ 863-634-0515 or Bambi @ 772-353-8790.
- Papa Johns is presenting their weekly fundraiser every Thursday when you order from Papa John’s they’ll donate 10% of your total order to the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band. Valid for carry out or delivery, you can also order online by using the PROMO CODE OCSD2014. Be sure to mention that you are a supporter of the Okeechobee High School Brahman Band when you are placing an order.
- Paddock Farms is “driving on” ! Learn how to drive your horse, racing, obstacles and more! Paddock Farms will be available every weekend after to teach you about how to drive your horse. Must be 18 years of age or older, all horses brought to the Paddock Farms must have a negative coggins test and you will be asked to sign a waiver. Not sure if your horse could race? You will have the option to have your horse evaluated. Don’t have a horse? No problem, they’ll provide them for you. No experience is necessary. No horse? No harness? No problem! Call Nancy at 863-634-1440 or 863-634-1438 for more information.
- The Chamber of Commerce will hold it’s monthly Chamber Business After Hours on Tuesday, July 29ths from 5-7pm at the Buxton Bass Funeral Home. This is an excellent opportunity to get to know your local business people and build lasting relationships in a professional environment. RSVP now at www.okeechobeebusiness.com.
- We are now accepting donations for the “Stuff the Bus for School Supplies” project. Tickets for the Flapjack Breakfast @ Applebee’s on August 9 to benefit the “Stuff the Bus” are now being sold at the Chamber of Commerce, Edward Jones Investment and WOKC.
Agri-Civic Center Events
- Weekdays, 4-H Horse Camp - Monday 7/14/14 through Friday 8/1/14 Okeechobee 4-H Horse Day Camp is a series of week long day camps that will be conducted three weeks during July. Each week is different, but activities all three weeks focus on youth and horses with the goal to provide meaningful educational experiences for youth. The day camps provided for a continuance of learning opportunities during the summer months as well as motivation to be physically active in a safe supervised venue